Why doesn't the board allow me to offer players new contracts with much lower wages?

I'm playing FC Utrecht in the 1st division (just got degraded). As I just got appointed as the manager I found out that the previous manager had been massively overspending on the wages. 3.2 mil allowed, currently 7.2 mil.

The best way to decrease the wages would be offering my most expensive players new contracts. All of them have no problem with a wage cut of 50%.

But why the hell doesn't the board allow me to do this? This is ridiculous. Instead I will have to give players a free transfer or sell them during the transfer period.

I'm playing FC Utrecht in the 1st division (just got degraded). As I just got appointed as the manager I found out that the previous manager had been massively overspending on the wages. 3.2 mil allowed, currently 7.2 mil.

The best way to decrease the wages would be offering my most expensive players new contracts. All of them have no problem with a wage cut of 50%.

But why the hell doesn't the board allow me to do this? This is ridiculous. Instead I will have to give players a free transfer or sell them during the transfer period.

You may find you will have to gradually decrease their wages by offering them new contracts, each time with a lower wage. Of course, your player might not want a lower wage and would not sign the new contract.

canvey!!, the point is that if you are way over your wage budget, if you try to offer existing players new contracts, it will say 'you need to offload some players, and the board are limiting any new offers to £x per week until we are under the budget', or similar. Then you can only offer your current player that much, even if he's on 8 times as much.

What needs to happen is the board to say 'you need to reduce the wage bill, we will limit the amount you can offer this player to his current wage of £y'. Then you can try to negotiate a lower wage, which will take money off the wage bill.

I have calculated by looking at possible new contracts for all my players that I can cut my wages to under the desired 3.2 mil by offering all off my expensive players new contracts (all are willing to accept lower wages). In real life, if this would solve the problem for a club, the board would happily agree. Too bad this doesn't work for FM08 icon_frown.gif

Yep, been a problem with this game forever. You would think that offering them a low contract would take the difference of your wage budget when its your own player but it acts as though its going to be a whole new wage. Its hard to get the wages down without releasing.

Should be fixed for FM09, probably wont be.

Archived