I don't mean to be rude, but it's been a short time between 2010 and 2011 on iPhone

I don't mean to be rude, but it's been a very short time between 2010 and 2011 on iPhone... I got my iPhone 4 in July and played the demo. I had to wait a bit to actually buy since the 1.7 update for 2010 was having some issues. It's barely been about 4 months since I got the Football Manager Handheld 2010 and I have to shell out another US$10 for this game? I've been playing the CM/FM on PC/Mac for years and I know SI releases a new game every season now, but this is a bit too much considering it's one of the more pricier app/game for the iPhone. I guess we'll definitely wait another year or so until 2012 comes out, but couldn't there possibly be some price discount or holiday special for the new 2011?

It's kind of a lose-lose situation for me since there isn't any price decrease over the next year and the longer I hold out, there's lesser playing value until 2012 comes out. Just wanted to voice a little frustration. I love the game.

To be fair the 2010 version has been out quite a while now. The fact you only picked it up recently is irrelevant. Fact is game - and sports games in particular - get regular sequels / updates. At the end of the day SI is a business. They have wages to pay as well as other costs related to putting together a quality game including licence fees to use real teams, players, leagues, logos, etc in the game.

Supply and demand is basic business. When you first release a game is the most likely time a game will be in the highest demand and therefore can be charged at the highest price. As demand for the game drops, so does the price.

When somebody buys the 2011 version, SI/Sega don't really care if you've bought 2010, 2009 or whatever. And they shouldn't as it's not relevant. The 2011 version is a stand-alone game. For somebody who has never bought a previous version of FM they are getting a full, feature rich game.

If you already own a previous version, it's up to you to decide if the new version improves on the previous version enough to justify the price of purchasing the new version or if you want to wait until the price drops OR until the next version comes out, etc.

As I've stated on other threads, I personally think £7/$10 is quite cheap for a game like this and I feel it is being unfairly criticised for it's price because it is surrounded by cheaper, lower quality games. Other high quality / big name games on the iPhone (FIFA, GTA, etc) had similar starting prices when they were first released.

I bought 2010 for full price at release and I've spent many hours playing it and think it was worth every penny. The only reason I haven't yet bought the new version is because I don't want to finish playing my current save game and haven't had much time to play lately. But I'll certainly be picking it up ASAP regardless of price.

Sorry for the long post! :)

I bought 2010 for my iphone in august, I think. I played it a lot for a couple of months - 18 great seasons with Northampton. Yesterday I bought the 2011 version and it is even better! To those having problems with the pricing I suggest the following: Divide the price of the app with the amount of time it entertains you - do this with your other "real" games as well. I think FMH would come out looking pretty good. Also, it sees to me people are just focusing on the new features - the main reason I pay for a new version of my SI games is the updated database. I want a new challenge, and I want to try my hand at the squad that is preforming so and so in the league right now (shouldn't take much to improve on Northampton's season though, except in the League Cup...).

And furthermore I totally agree with you Keify: £7/$10 (or NOK 69) is quite cheap for a game like this! This is ten times the cost of Angry Birds - a great game, but look at the depth! I love sending birds crashing into stuff, but playing FMH i find myself sitting at the coffee-table going "Hmm... I wonder if my new signing would do well as a poacher...." The game just gives so much more than other iPhone-games. It is absolutely worth the price, and when they ship out FMHi 2012 in a years time I will buy it and enjoy a new version of this great game, for about the same amount of money as a decent lunch at the student café in Bergen where I live.

A season takes approximately 2-3 hours, depending on you. There's a max 30 seasons in the game.

There's 4 save slots.

2.5x30=75. 75 hours for a full playthrough.

75x4=300.

Now put that into numbers, and you can't bum out 8 pounds for a game with MORE THAN 300 hours?!

Come on man.

First of all, the game seems on par now with the PSP version. PSP sets you back $29.90 on the PSN store. While we could discuss that thirty bucks is way too overpriced and SEGA should have released FMH on PSP as a "mini" for ten bucks, there is simply no point in discussing the price point on iphone. Anything less than ten bucks is just unreal. There are costs, there's a profit to be made.

And, the better games on the iphone set you back nearly as much or even more since a good bunch of them makes you pay for more content/extended gameplay through additional downloads that add up to the bill.

Furthermore, people were itching to play the new version in time for the holidays. FMH 2010 was released "out of the row" last year in spring what seemed to be like an experiment. The game was ready to ship, spring was perfect since news about it weren't overshadowed by big release of PC game, etc.

Now, since it seems to be an established franchise on the i-devices, they go with the normal flow of things that is FM/SI/SEGA, it seems.

Archived