Does a red card affect a player's match rating?

Personally I don't think so. If somebody is sent off in a match, then their rating should be low due to the amount of time their team is forced to play without them.

I've noticed a few times that a player gets sent off but still finishes with a high rating thanks to a lucky assist or goal. My latest and possibly best example of this has just happened; my top midfielder gets two early assists but is then sent off for a vicious, two-footed challenge after 33 minutes. At half-time the commentary says "De Rossi has been sensational, Aston Villa can't handle him".

Did the commentator not notice he has been sent off? Or is his vision blinded by the fact that De Rossi has a rating of 7.5, the best player on the pitch in the first half and possibly a contender for man of the match, even if he only plays a third of it?

Okay, so this post has two points:

1. I think red cards should drastically alter a player's match rating

2. Commentary should reflect the fact a player has been sent off

On the flip-side, you can't really say that he played badly - he didn't.

If anything, the commentator should avoid praising De Rossi so highly. Something like "De Rossi's outstanding performance was overshadowed by a red card for a vicious foul" or "De Rossi: From hero to villain in 33 minutes". Or if you don't lose the game, something like "Red card for De Rossi takes gloss off an otherwise-outstanding performance".

He played well for 33 minutes, before a moment of madness meant my team is under strength for the remaining 57. I think for those 57 minutes his rating should gradually decrease, because just freezing his rating at 7.5 is a little harsh considering some players seem to have a massive drop in their rating if they hit a shot wide, but at least they are still on the pitch.

No red cards do not have an effect on ratings which is silly. Because if you have a player draw a straight red 10 minutes in for a very bad foul they will still have an average 6.7-6.9 rating. Seen it happen more then once with my team. Why cards (and possibly fouls) don't effect ratings I'll never know, especially when I want to get on my players case for undisciplined play.

Archived