Strange attendance behaviour

I just noticed this when I played a home game with AC Milan for the Champions League. I'm managing HSV atm.

My stadium capacity is 57000, but only 46500 attended for this game. So I was a bit curious and checked my other attendances, and a game with a lowly Kaiserslautern (media expectation 18th) had an attendance of 54000.

Would you say this is normal? I find it a bit odd that the fans would choose to miss out on the game with AC Milan :s

• SI Staff

It could be due to Milan fans being given a whole stand if they were expected to fill it at least half full, so there would have then been less capacity left for home fans after segregation etc. Whereas with the Kaiserslautern match it might be that there were so few away fans that the home allocation was bigger, resulting in a higher total attendance despite lower away attendance.

yeah you would....

i think that the away fans effectively buy the tickets off the home club (in this case bayern)... which would directly impact your gate receipts

though surely Milan -> Munich isn't that far (for fans to travel)... somewhere like Zilina -> Porto, I would expect a lower attendance (due to the awkwardness of getting there)

Archived