Can't play on steam with iMac

I just bought the game, and I waited like 30 min because it kept saying Download starting but nothing actually ever downloaded. So I click on Play which the option was there all the time and a pop-out saying Preparing to launch Football Manager 2011... and it freezes after like 10 seconds every single time.

No it just keep saying Download starting after like 30 min nothing happens.

Kinda odd. I did have a minor issue with Steam when it downloaded the extra little bit to unlock the game. I had to launch FM11 again for it to start the game but your issue sounds markedly different. Have you got the option, in the right-click menu to delete local content? If so try it as it will make Steam clear everything out and then download afresh.

It just says like in the top left corner Download starting... but when I click on the Download tab it does not show any downloads.

Did you pre-load FM11? Mine did download, albeit rather quickly, the extra unlock stuff and I had to re-launch. Do you have the option to remove local content? What happens if you close Steam and re-open?

Well it does give me the option, says Uninstalling Football Manager 2011..... and than boom freezes after 10 seconds.

The plot thickens.. are you getting any crash messages?

Edit: Something to try if you're daring. With only Steam up (so don't try running FM11 or uninstall just yet) run Terminal and type "top" without quotations. What are the processes that are running?

Oh and to cancel out of top use ctrl+c

If you go to the following location is there a 'Sports Interactive' folder?

User > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common

If so could you try deleting it and starting the download in Steam again

Or try this, far less scary than top :)

I would have to force quit and than I have the option to report the error to Apple.

Could you and post the dump information?

I deleted the folder, now when I reopen steam it says Download preparing instead of Download starting.

Fingers crossed it'll download FM11 again for you. Sounds like nothing was being downloaded.

It just change to Download starting again, and it disappear from the download tab. Back from starting point....

Is there still nothing in the Sports Interactive folder in SteamApps?

Don't suppose you can post up a screenshot of what is, or isn't happening? Clear the Sports Interactive folder from SteamApps > Common and take screenshots along the way? I think I follow what's going on but there's nothing like telling a story with pictures :)

Edit: Just a thought but after deleting the SI folder last time did you close and then re-open Steam or did you just go ahead and tried again? If the latter, try removing the folder, close Steam, re-open and see what happens.

Okay, close Steam.

Go to Finder > Your User > Library > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common

And delete the Sports Interactive Folder (empty the trash as well maybe?)

Re-open Steam and attempt to download FM11 again.

I deleted steam, and anything that has to do with FM. Re-installed Steam and than gives me the option to install FM11. Now it looks like it is actually downloading....

Crossing my fingers again then, hopefully this time it'll work :thup:

Archived