What will it take for a new stadium?

I'm managing Wigan Athletic, just about starting the 2019/2020 Premier League season. I've managed to turn the club into a European force, getting into the latter stages of the Champions League most years.

There's only one problem stopping me from taking them to the stage of complete domination - the DW Stadium.

It can only be expanded to a maximum of 40,000 people, which I managed to get after about four or five seasons. Since then I've managed to fill it to within about 99.5% of capacity on average every season, but the council continue to block any planning permission to expand further, as they do.

We have plenty money in the bank (fluctuating between about £50-100m thanks to TV/prize money) and I've even been taken over in the intervening years (though sadly only by board promotion) but no new stadium has appeared. The current one only has a 'Good' Corporate Facility rating, depriving the club of more much-needed income.

So what I would like to know is whether there's anything I can do as the manager to prompt my chairman in building a new stadium, finances don't seem to be a problem as I thought you always take on debts to pay for it. At the minute I'm having to sell one or two carefully nurtured newgens every season just to keep our heads above the water, a new stadium with an enlarged capacity would allow me to keep more of them and truly dominate European football.

At the minute I'm having to sell one or two carefully nurtured newgens every season just to keep our heads above the water

There is your problem! You need plenty of money, sure you will need more, but must have alot already before the board will consider it. Otherwise you will have a nice big stadium with no transfer funds and then must sell a few more players each season, then also improve your performances...doesn't sound easy does it? So the board would prefer to stay as you are for the time being.

EDIT: Beat me to it nev :p

Damn. That's why I need the new stadium, with the crowds I'm getting at the moment the level of success isn't really sustainable. Bit of a vicious circle at the minute.

I did think it might have something to do with the current stadium being less than 20 years old, but I've got rid of Dave 'forgot the chequebook' Whelan so I didn't think it would be a problem!

I mean if you do get a new stadium - then the sale of the existing stadium will contribute - but I have never had a new stadium built. But maybe around £200m at least (part guess) - in your situation to be better than the existing one. And like you said - the club can get out a loan. I think you may well get one within 5 years! Best of luck!!!

Archived