Team Gelling

Anyone have any tips on how to speed team gelling up? Obviously, making sure that players get plenty of playing time is one way. Any other advice?

Also, I know that team gelling was tweaked for the 10.3 patch. Anyone feel like they might have overdone it slightly? I felt like the balance was fine before where it could maybe take half a season to get a team to gel. It seems that it can take much longer for a team to gel now on 10.3.

Any thoughts?

I wish I could offer some insight Crouchy. Other than playing them together I've not found a way to speed it up. I think things like making the right choice for skipper and vc are important. I should think that the way you talk to them both as a collective and individually will make a difference. But I can't be sure.

Its another of these FM mysteries where something exists, we all know about it but none of us are quite sure what it is, what it does, how it got there or how to affect it.

I'd have to agree that it seems to have been ramped up for 10.3, perhaps unnecessarily so.

I think playing time is the main trigger for improving it. It seems to me that a player can be in your squad for years but if he hasn't had enough playing time, it will have an effect on team gelling.

I've also long felt that having players in the squad with similar personalities can also impact on team gelling (e.g. trying to make sure players are 'of a similar mould' or 'adding to the [...] nature of the squad' as the coach reports tell you).

I think playing time is the main trigger for improving it. It seems to me that a player can be in your squad for years but if he hasn't had enough playing time, it will have an effect on team gelling.

I've also long felt that having players in the squad with similar personalities can also impact on team gelling (e.g. trying to make sure players are 'of a similar mould' or 'adding to the [...] nature of the squad' as the coach reports tell you).

I suppose the playing time factor would make sense with regards to some of my players still having a problem well in to their 2nd season with a club.

Also the personality thing may help, I always aim for certain personality types, generally 'professional' or 'determined'. Maybe this helps me and I don't realise it, but again, who knows? Anyone?

If personality is a factor do you think nationality could come in to play? Unsettled players are unlikely to 'gel' quickly so I would think this has to be a consideration.

Just play them as much as possible, maybe sneak in a few friendlies if you have time.

I signed about 4 quality players to my already good team, they're coming 4th now, so they obviously havent gelled yet :(

Nationality helps too, although I rarely have a large amount of English players in my like team and I have a big squad I shuffle every year and it works fine for me. Best thing is to get as many players you're happy with and keep them under any circumstances. My keeper has been the same for 7 years and my midfield is the same the whole way across as it has been for 4 or 5 years. I have one of the same CBs who I won't sell and Bendtner has been in my team for 5 or 6 years too. So first team is very important, don't worry about the squad as a whole as it hasn't affected me. The less change the better if you're getting results though.

I've got women coaches. I think things could get inappropriate.

More appropriate than a bunch of blokes playing the game with no women!

Back on a more serious note, it would appear that its all about playing time with a little bit of the other factors (not spin the bottle) thrown in.

Archived