MLS designated player slot

Is there anyway to choose this when on the contract screen? I am playing MLS for the first time as New England and want to try and sign Riquelme by offering him the designated player slot but on the contract screen I can't choose that option?

You're at the mercy of your board- if they don't feel the player is "worth" a DP contract they won't give you the option of offering one. For instance, I just started up a game with NE to test this and I offered a contract to Emerson. He's not interested in coming to NE, but the board will let me offer up to $1,700,000 a year for him. Be sure to check what the board says they'll allow (Contract Requirements section of the offer contract screen.) The value changes based on squad status, and I believe DP players have to be regarded as Key Players. If your board will allow it, the DP contract can be selected with the Contract Type option. Hope that helps (and I find it hard to believe an MLS board wouldn't sign Riquelme as a DP!)

cheers for that. Just tried to offer damarcus beasley a contract to join at the end of the scottish season but he says he has no desire to join me. my ass man says he believes beasley is a player of the highest calibre but yet the board don't value him enough to give him DP status!! Can someone explain the other parts of MLS transfer/contract systems....what does the developmental contract and GA contracts mean? Also, the board have just set out season expectations and set my wage budget at £43.5k pw but then on the squad list it says my salary is £29,137 pw???

cheers for that. Just tried to offer damarcus beasley a contract to join at the end of the scottish season but he says he has no desire to join me. my ass man says he believes beasley is a player of the highest calibre but yet the board don't value him enough to give him DP status!! Can someone explain the other parts of MLS transfer/contract systems....what does the developmental contract and GA contracts mean? Also, the board have just set out season expectations and set my wage budget at £43.5k pw but then on the squad list it says my salary is £29,137 pw???

Developmental contracts are set wages at around US$19k/yr and these contracts along with GA contracts do not count against the salary cap, which is £29,137 p/w. Your wage budget is £43.5k, which basically means you can try and sign a DP for at most £14,363 p/w, or if you have two slots then half that amount.

Really hope that in FM11 SI can correctly code the new CBA rules in terms of guaranteed contracts, wage increases, and DP expansion (and of course SUPERDRAFT NEWGENS).

Yeah...I don't think the board will let you offer a non-DP more than $300,000 a year.

Honestly, though...if you have Brazil as a playable league or simply load all Brazilian players you shouldn't even need a DP. Look for Valnei (defender) and Carlinhos(Defender/Midfielder) as two excellent players for MLS available on a free. Danilo Lins is a decent striker, and Wendes is a promising forward.

Archived