No option to sign player?

I'm playing as Rangers and with the January transfer window looming I've been looking at players with expiring contracts and unattached players to see if I could find some players to pick up for peanuts. While doing this, I found Chris Birchall in the list of unattached players (he was released from his LA Galaxy contract in March and it's now the end of December), and while he's not that good and I'm not interested in him, for some reason I'm not given the option to offer him a contract. He's not already agreed to join anyone, and I can't see anything suggesting he's planning on retiring (his general happiness even says "Is looking for a new club") and I can offer contracts to every other free agent I've looked at...so why can I not approach him? :confused:

The only thing I can think of is that players released by MLS clubs still count towards their wage budget so it may be that they still hold their registration. Maybe after the next MLS season update day he'll be available.

Really don't know enough about it myself but maybe someone who knows how contracts work in the MLS could confirm this.

Maybe there is an embargo on your club
I already said I can buy other players, just not this guy.
The only thing I can think of is that players released by MLS clubs still count towards their wage budget so it may be that they still hold their registration. Maybe after the next MLS season update day he'll be available.

Really don't know enough about it myself but maybe someone who knows how contracts work in the MLS could confirm this.

That may well be it, actually. I've had a quick flick through other players released on the same day by MLS clubs and I can't sign any of them, either.

Most of the ones released the year before have retired, but I found one who was dropped by DC United in early March and was picked up by Crystal Palace in late January. So I guess Chris will become available again in a few weeks.

could be that he needs to clear waivers?

wait a couple days and see if its still the case, i think players waived by MLS teams have 2(?) days for another MLS team to "claim" them and then they are released on a free

Archived