Understanding Counter Attack?

Can somebody explain to me how checking the 'counter-attack' box works? Does it mean that your team will look to counter attack when possible instead of slowing the play down? Or does it mean that your team will adopt a classic 'counter attack' strategy whereby they actively look to attack on the break and let the opposition come on to them?

My understanding is that the counter-attack box means that you will look to hit the team on the break whenever the chance arises, regardless of your tactic. I keep counter-attack checked even when my basic tactic is attacking, because I have a lot of speed in my team and want to take advantage of it whenever I can.

The second option you describe -- the classic counter-attack strategy -- can be put in place by choosing "Counter" as your tactic (as opposed to Attack, Defend, Control, etc.)

From the horse's mouth as it where

originally posted by PaulC

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2906696&postcount=315

A counter attack in FM is launched when a team gets the ball and there are less than X opposing players between the ball and their goal.

Ticking the counter attack box means that X is a higher value.

Once on counter attack, a team will play as if on highest mentality until the counter attack phase of play ends.

originally posted by PaulC

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2907549&postcount=343

Having read Mitja's comments on counter attacking I have made a change going forward. Now, when a counter attack is instigated, the mentality will be considerd 20 and the forward runs setting moved up a notch ( if possible ) for each player during that attack.

You can most clearly see the effect if you happen to use a DMC with Runs From Deep = Rare. Probably noticeable with full backs too if they get triggered but tbh I don't know for certain since I've never looked at FBs with Rare and Counter Attack ticked.

I have to say the counter attack option seems a lot more potent in 10.3. My team has scored 3 stunning counter attack goals since the patch in around 10 games, with players picking the right pass instead of a poor one resulting in the counter attack breaking down, top stuff:thup:

Archived