Not a bug. Not a criticism, just a small gripe. How fickle are........players!

Managing Middlesbrough in 1st season after deciding to try some different things, (players, tactics, training, etc). So after a pre-season that after 7 games included 6 wins and 1 defeat, 0-5 to Man Utd. I am after 7 games into the season sat 2nd in the league, with 3 wins and 4 draws, having conceded only 4 goals (3 to Bristol City! Damn I hate them). I am in the 4th Round Carling Cup, including a 3rd Round win against Premier League Hull...all is going well.

Then home to West Brom...3-0 down in 26 mins....manage to pull 1 back, but cant claw the game back....so drop from 2nd to 8th, no problem I think as it's only 8 games in and I'm only 4 points off 1st. Then DISASTER!!! the u20 World Cup arrives....3 players out with England...so my next 2 games are postponed....all of a sudden I have 2 games in hand are 10 points off top and sat in 15th! Again no problem I think, I'll catch up the games soon and all will be well. Then my next 2 games are postponed AND my already postponed games are postponed AGAIN. All of a sudden EVERYONE around me has played 12 games...me only 8! I'm now sat in 17th....15 points from 1st and more than half my team are suddenly upset as I'm "underachieving".

How is this my fault??? It's not. How come the players dont understand it's not my fault??? Surely they must know we haven't played in nearly a month???

Now I know IF I win these 4 games in hand, I will be right back in the mix...but because my players are upset, there morale has dropped making it harder for me to win these games.

Now I get that games get postponed, I just feel it's slightly unfair that I'm being punished with drops in morale because the game has postponed my fixtures for a whole month. Surely there must be away of improving player understanding about things like this??

Man, that's tough. Had it myself where you have games in hand but they don't understand.

Similarly, it's annoying when, for instance, you are in a tightly contested league. Currently, in the EPL, I'm 13th (as Villa), but am just 3 points off 4th. And yet the players and fans are complaining. Some weeks I win, and have gone as high as 4th, only to lose the following week and be down to 10th. It's so up and down but the players aren't able to recognise this.

Archived