Preferred Moves feel too artificial

I was just wondering if anyone else felt that preferred move training not only feels really artificial, but is a bit ilogical? I'm really struggling to understand why it works the way it does.

I understand there are certain preferred moves that it makes sense that players have, but I'd argue that they aren't really "preferred moves" per se, and are more "traits". Things such as "Argues with officials" and "Curls ball" are understandably things that players are either inclined to do, or aren't. I mean players without those traits still do both on ocassion, just players with them tend to do them unnecessarily.

The main problem I'm having with them is with players who I'm trying to develop, who would have their abilities increased massively if they'd listen to my advice. Mario Balotelli is the main culprit at the moment. I've currently got him playing up front and he manages to mess up alot more chances that is really necessary. He'll shoot straight at the keeper about 90% of the time, and I understand sometimes this is the match engine due to the one on ones bug, but plenty of the time it isn't one on ones and it's just him being a tool. So I "suggest" to Mario that maybe he should place his shots into the corner of the net. He apparently knows more about me, and chooses to disregard this advice as he doesn't feel it'd benefit him. Fair enough I think to myself, let's try something else then.... How about you try to lob the keeper? Nope, he doesn't want to do that either. Alright then, how about you just put your foot through the ball, really hit it with power, maybe you can beat the keeper that way? .... Once again he doesn't want to.

After trying numerous different things, I've finally convinced him to start attempting to round the keeper which he's said he'll work on in training. I'd claim victory, but I really haven't won anything, he isn't doing what I wanted him to, he's doing something that I've suggested, but he wants to do.

It got me to thinking that surely no manager would actually accept this sort of thing from a player? Hell, I'm one of his favoured personel, yet he still ignores me, and I quite frankly think the entire system is broken.

Surely I should have the freedom within tactics to tell him to place his shots, or tell someone else to try killer balls or to look for the pass instead of the shot?

Would it not make more sense for these to be tactical options that we got to chose, and if players were so inclined they would then make them "preferred moves" and become better at them?

I can guarantee that players don't say "I don't see the point" when Wenger or Ferguson tells them how to change their game, especially players so early in their career.

Exactly, it's a little bit unrealistic in some instances, especially teenagers ignoring World Class Managers and in some ways, the entire idea of PPMs is illogical

There are no strikers in the world that POWER their shots, sure many have a great boot, but given the opportunity they could decide to smash it (e.g. from long range) or place it (in 1v1s)

"Trait" is probably a more accurate term than "preferred move". Maybe SI decided than most non-native speakers of English wouldn't know the term.

While I agree that it is unrealistic that the average unknown youth would be unlikely to tell his manager that practising such-and-such a 'trait' would be 'unlikely to improve his game', it does depend on his personality. Hence, your example is notable for it's inappropriateness. As I understand, Balotelli in real life is having major problems with his manager Mourinho because of his attitude, and is thus failing to reach his potential. The game does quite well to reflect this kind of issue; however, as I say, it needs to find a more realistic balance.

Archived