Solution to 'FM 2010 has stopped working'

Hi All,

I realise everyone's frustrations with this issue, I bought the game on first release and it worked fine until Friday and I got the 'FM has stopped working message'. You'll be scouring the internet after the solution and NO thread I have read actually provides the answer. Until this one. So fret no more!

Don't bother:

Reinstalling

Uninstalling

Both!

Reinstalling directx

Reinstalling .net framework

Downloading the latest patch

I spent hours trying all these, I even reverted my laptop to a system restore point!

My problem:

I release this may only solve the problem for people who have the same issue as myself, so I'll go over what I think messed my game up. I normally run dual-screen and I unplugged the second screen. When I loaded the game Friday, it started-up half on the screen and half off it (because the dual screen is normally there but wasn't). I tried to pull the game window over and acidentally stretched the window causing it too crash (I'm guessing messing up the resolution and thus one of the graphics files). Since then it hasn't loaded so I'm guessing this issue is something to do with people fiddling with graphics settings or doing what I did.

Please note I am on Vista Home Premium. Whether this issue, and indeed the solution, varies depending on operating system or not, I don't know.

What to do:

Right click on the shortcut you created on your desktop. If you don't have one then find the loading icon in the SI folder, right click and send it to the desktop.

Right click your desktop shortcut and select properties.

On the 'shortcut' tab ensure it says 'maximised' under the 'run:' option.

Now click the 'compatibility' tab and make sure it is running in XP compatibility mode. Now tick 'run in 640x480 screen resolution'. Finally, on the same tab tick 'Run this program as an Administrator'.

Click OK and now launch your game from the shortcut.

Voila! You should be up and running if your issue was the same as mine.

Hope this helps a few people and saves you hours of trawling the internet and reading complete waffle and unconstructive thread rants and arguments!

Thanks,

Ross

You change the resolution in properties, then change it back in the preferences when the game boots. It's merely to ensure that the game actaully loads up.

I'd also like to add that since I employed this method I cannot 'window' the game without it crashing but everything else works. I'm guessing this is something to do with a corrupt graphics file or perhaps it's just windows trying to prevent me messing up my computer for second time.

Sorry if it doesn't work because I know how annoying this issue is.

Ross

Archived