Youth Coach not handling contracts as I would like

At the start of a game, I instructed my youth coach to handle u19 contract negotiations. Surely a youth coach, like John Park (Celtic) and/or Dan Ashworth (West Brom) are more than capable of assessing potential and whether they should be offered pro contracts.

I'm about 7 seasons in and my team are doing really well but my youth coach in charge (i.e Park then tried Ashworth) isnt offering any contracts to youth players or offering improved terms if there are clubs sniffing about. I've seen them do this in earlier seasons but not in the last 3 seasons at least.

I recently offered all players with a potential of 1 star at least a pro contract on minimal terms and they've accepted. I've noticed very quickly that media began speculating about other clubs approaching for these players and also attributes improving. I know the training workload becomes heavier but the improvement seems like more than this.

Whilst alot of these players will ultimately not make it at my club, its obvious that my youth coach who is left in charge of nuturing the talent isnt doing his job properly. These players arent being groomed to their potential and I'm not selling them for a fee.

I think the youth coach in charge shouldnt be 'giving up" on players who most likely wont be good enough for my first team. There are plenty of teams that would pay a nice fee with a future pecentage on some of them that would cover the cost of my youth development (i.e. coaching costs)

I noticed this 'trend' in FM09 & FM08 aswell and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this when you get some success at the highest level, i.e. UCL.

Looks like I've to monitor all youth development, no advice on PPMs or tutors, no contract management despite competent coaches managing the setup and the correct settings ticked.

Anyone else in the same boat? Is this an AI flaw? Is there something I've overlooked or not gotten right?

in my experience

a) coaches as a whole cant be trusted to make big decisions.

b) they are only interested in players who can compete long term for a place in your first team.

overall they wont be interested in lesser player and the idea of finances isnt part of their motivaiton for keeping a player on the books. to them if they arent good enough to play 1st team football for your team at some point then theres no point in keeping them. on top of that they probably wouldnt renew the correct youth players, even if they werent worth keeping. for the time it takes id recommend just doing it yourself.

I think this part of the AI needs tweaking because that doesnt happen IRL

Clubs do operate thinking that they develop their intakes as much as possible and either they make it or they can be sold for a nice "development fee". If they dont do this at all times then this part of the team settings is waste of coding.

I dont think this would be too difficult to fix or add that much workload to a persons save.

Yea, this is a lesson learned the hard way, disappointed that its like this though

jiggy - I have noticed this as well. i am playing as Liverpool and my youth team manager does not offer contracts to the u19's (even though it is ticked). I just then end up having to check contracts every year and renew if I want them.

A pain in the arse but I learnt this in my first season when my youth team was decimated as every one left at the end of the year due to all leaving because their contracts were not renewed.

Archived