How to prevent complacency?

My man utd team team seem to always win against big teams but when they play a smaller team (Birmingham, Portsmouth) etc. they seem to struggle. My assistant said in the backroom meeting that we get complacent against smaller squads.

Is there a way of preventing this?

I find telling them you expect a win in the team talk helps. If they're not ahead by halftime, use the "angry" or "where's the passion?" talks, whichever is available to you. And never use a delighted after the win unless somebody has a rating of 9+.

Use the press conference. Choose the more negative answers; saying that the form will probably drop, that your players will have problems with complacency etc.

I only choose 'expect a win' in team talk if my ass man says that the team looks over-confident.

Use the press conference. Choose the more negative answers; saying that the form will probably drop, that your players will have problems with complacency etc.

I only choose 'expect a win' in team talk if my ass man says that the team looks over-confident.

True about the press conferances, but when it comes to team talks I generally keep my mouth shut untill the game is over. With the exeption of "prove a point" to underachievers and "pleased" to a striker who has scored two in the first half.

Archived