Digital download activation & patching

In light of the "auto-patching even when you don't want it to" bug in Steam, I'm now thinking about selling my Steam activated boxed version and buying a digital download version. I would very much appreciate it if someone could answer these questions for me:

1. If I buy and download FM2010 from a site such as Direct2Drive, is Steam still involved with activation and / or updating.

2. If I was to download from a site like this, would it start off unpatched so that I only have to update the game if I want to? I notice on this page http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/4/8482/product/Buy-Football-Manager-2010-UK-Download that it mentions version 10.1 - does this mean it starts off patched or is it a mistake?

3. Following on from above, if the download version DOES start off patched, had I better hurry up and download it before 10.2 is mandatory? Or will there always be a way of getting the unpatched download from somewhere?

Sorry if any of these should be obvious but until recently I had never even thought about downloading the game. Thanks in advance :)

Wouldn't the best way to make sure your game doesn't get patched be to buy a boxed version from a shop and install it in offline mode?

Yeah I'll probably have to do that for now, but I would rather not have to use the disc (partly for convenience, partly because my disc drive is a bit dodgy), so my questions still stand.

Archived