Newcastle background info

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but if you haven't read my other posts I am an American that when I started knew very little about football/soccer. I started as a LLM (after a season or two as Arsenal to learn the ropes) and have been working on the same save that I started back as Braintree in the BSN. It's been great fun and I am really enjoying the game.

Recently I made the move to Newcastle in the Championship and from what I can tell in game this is a club that I can settle into and build into a big club. Their infrastructure seems to be on the BPL level and they draw well.

I did notice the debt and have read some posts here on the forum alluding to some funny business with Newcastle in real life.

I am just curious if anyone can get me up to speed on Newcastle in the real world, ie their reputation, what is going on with them?, etc etc. I just feel this helps me get a better feeling of immersion with the teams I control.

Thanks for you time!

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but if you haven't read my other posts I am an American that when I started knew very little about football/soccer. I started as a LLM (after a season or two as Arsenal to learn the ropes) and have been working on the same save that I started back as Braintree in the BSN. It's been great fun and I am really enjoying the game.

Recently I made the move to Newcastle in the Championship and from what I can tell in game this is a club that I can settle into and build into a big club. Their infrastructure seems to be on the BPL level and they draw well.

I did notice the debt and have read some posts here on the forum alluding to some funny business with Newcastle in real life.

I am just curious if anyone can get me up to speed on Newcastle in the real world, ie their reputation, what is going on with them?, etc etc. I just feel this helps me get a better feeling of immersion with the teams I control.

Thanks for you time!

The reason the club has such a huge infrastructure is because they were a long time Premiership team with perhaps the most passionate fan base. Although they have had some problems the last few years, including relegation, they are one of the bigger clubs in England. Had luck and better ownership (and at times management) been in place, today you probably would be talking about Newcastle with the big 4 of English football and it would be the big 5. Mis-managment of the club, poor player purchasing (and willingness to give out large contracts), and perhaps a knack for wanting to please the fan base too much created financial issues for the club. However, you have one of the largest stadiums in the country, a rabid fan base that support the club (almost insanely!), and a decent brand name that brings in quite a bit of income to work with. Therefore with the right ownership and sensible leadership, there is no reason that Newcastle can't build back into one of the powerhouses of English football. Seeing as Newcastle are currently 8 points clear at the top of the table in the Championship in real life, I would think you shouldn't have a problem getting promoted and contending in the premiership. In the game, you will probably will have resources to build with. Although in my opinion if you really want to enjoy the game, stick with lower league management and try and build from almost nothing. I have been playing this game now in it's various versions for the last decade and couldn't tell you the last time I played a large club. It's just too easy. Have fun with Newcastle!

Archived