A brainwave - your thoughts?

Brainwave!!!

I was thinking about how we test out new formations and strategies that we create in FM10, and I feel I might be on to something?!

Apologies if this has already been suggested but I couldnt find anything similar.

Currently we have to use/arrange friendly matches to test a new formation/strategy, but this can be awkward at times. You play friendly matches at the beginning of a season and that is generally the best place to test something new, however even this doesnt give you enough time on occasions. This is especially true when you have just started with a brand new team and you have to get a feel for the players in the team as well, which takes time in itself.

The problem becomes even worse if you are mid season. Aside from arranging a friendly, which can be disruptive when you have to test new strategies in important matches, there is no real option to test out your ideas.

This causes users of FM to become infuriated when losing important matches when their tactis are \'under construction\'.

The solution - FM needs a full match training simulator. One of the biggest aspects of a managers job is viewing training matches of his players during training sessions. IRL a manager can view a training match by arranging slow pace 11 v 11. The pace of these sessions are of course not the same as a real match, and generally they do not tackle their opponents as hard.

I understand that you can increase the amount that you work on tactis in your training, this however doesnt allow you to see how well they are adapting to a new formation and whether it is working for each player. Player movement and understanding of a position also cant be judged without throwing them in at the deep end of a competitive match.

The simulator shouldnt effect fitness too much so that you can Judge the basics of your new formation, without the pressure of losing an important match. This is a real life managers obligation, however we cannot do it without arranging a friendly and ruining the fitness of our players for the next match.

You obviously cant replicate a real match in terms of motivation, opp tactics etc. The only true test of a tactic is of course a competetive match, however I believe this would go a long way in helping users design and implement their ideas.

What do you think?

i agree. I've liked the idea of having a 'practice match' feature for a while, particularly for testing out tactics/shapes etc. really shouldn't be that hard to implement and i don't understand why SI haven't done it yet. I've the next version doesn't involve an overhaul of training, then i will be dissapointed

i agree. I\'ve liked the idea of having a \'practice match\' feature for a while, particularly for testing out tactics/shapes etc. really shouldn\'t be that hard to implement and i don\'t understand why SI haven\'t done it yet. I\'ve the next version doesn\'t involve an overhaul of training, then i will be dissapointed

Im glad you do! Why do you think this hasnt been done yet?! :s

I like the idea although I am not sure I would use it as it would slow up gameplay even more.

I would howver like my Ass Man to come to me before cup games that could go to a shootout and ask if I would like an additional prctise session on this.

I suppose that depends on how much you use it. I would only use it when I needed to tinker/create something, not before every match.

However thanks for the feedback :)

I can see the point, but emulating a match in training? Is that really the way to go?

What gripes me about tactics is how players forget. With roughly the same players, in 1 season i used a 4-5-1 before switching to 4-4-2 at the end of that season for another year. Now players that have played using one tactic for a whole year, shouldn't just forget how to play it, like they never knew it existed in the first place.

I can see the point, but emulating a match in training? Is that really the way to go?

What gripes me about tactics is how players forget. With roughly the same players, in 1 season i used a 4-5-1 before switching to 4-4-2 at the end of that season for another year. Now players that have played using one tactic for a whole year, shouldn\'t just forget how to play it, like they never knew it existed in the first place.

It may not be the most idylic answer, however it was the only one that I could imagine being close to real life whilst allowing you to check the movement/cover that your players provide in your chosen tactic.

Archived