James Williams for England! (Comments on National Selection)

Around a 2-3 months back in the game, my first choice left back decided that the best option he had was to get injured at the same time as the second choice was injured. Not only this, but my fill in left back decided that he had to be unhappy, handed in a transfer request, then get injured... As you can tell I had tons of options. So what do I do, I chuck in one of my youngsters!

Let's just put it this way, he wasn't overawed by the responsibility for not only playing first team football for a top side, but also being the only fit left fullback at the club and he took his chance with both hands!

10 matches in and he's been in great form. I joked to myself about the England side and thought that maybe they should call him up. Then it hit me, why wouldn't they call him up. This is a 16 year old fullback, who hasn't put a foot wrong. The next match is a friendly against Ecuador in a month or so, so maybe with good form he might be called up, but on previous experience with Addison, won't happen.

Then I continued to think about it and had a good long hard look at the England side. There were two left fullbacks in the last squad; Ryan Bertrand and Joleon Lescott.

Key Stats:

Ryan Bertrand; Played 3 (1) at an average of 6.85 so far this season. Current form, 6.92.

Joleon Lescott; Played 7 (8) at an average 7.10 so far this season. Current form, 6.86.

Neither have really secured this places this season and whilst Lescott's been solid, much of it has been at centrehalf rather than leftback.

How about James Williams; Played 10, at an average of 7.14 so far. Current form 7.20.

Certainly not a bad choice for leftback on that at the very least. He hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Some of his best form has been in wins over Liverpool, Chelsea and most recently Man City. Certainly not a bad look.

Then I thought, surely there's another player who's more deserving on the stats alone.

Turns out, he is the best performing English leftback at the moment!

Personally, I'd have him in the squad, with Leighton Baines in at Leftback.

James Williams

What a beast!

I'm actually honestly surprised that he hasn't been completely destroyed yet... But hey! Apparently a leftback that has no concentration and can't mark can be successful, at least in the short term.

Sometimes I have players doing things like that... Twice in three seasons I've thrown two different players at left-back (and in both cases, their worst position - and their stronger feet were their right ones), and looking as though they've played there all their lives, displacing my own left-backs at least for a while. In both cases I somehow managed to get all 3 of my right-backs injured at the same time so I had to move my backup backup left-back to right-back and throw a youngster to left-back.

Looks one for the future! Good he's getting games too. Would you say he is pushing any of your other left backs out of contention when they return from injury? I can however see why he hasn't been called up so far. But as soon as Lescott has to reach for his zimmer frame, who knows! :)

I too have had numerous young players make good impacts on my first team. I am very much an Arsene Wenger of FM and will consistently play young players as soon as they show any indication that they will develop well enough to hold down a place. Sometimes I even go as far as playing a youngster ahead of the established player for that position simply togive him some experience.

However, when it comes to international squads, i think a few things must be remembered. Firstly, in my eyes at least, the AI is more likely to select real players than regens when it comes to international squads. Secondly, do I really want my young player in more matches, when first team action is going to tire him already?

Looks one for the future! Good he's getting games too. Would you say he is pushing any of your other left backs out of contention when they return from injury? I can however see why he hasn't been called up so far. But as soon as Lescott has to reach for his zimmer frame, who knows! :)

He certainly doesn't look too impressive at the moment.

Well, I signed a leftback in as cover as I only had one good one. Let's just say my number 2 leftback is probably going to be transfer listed. I'll probably rotate him with my first choice (now he's back, and been back for a while actually). Let's hope does develope.

He's 34...

You missed his point by a mile.

The player looks alright, bit surprised he has no assists in 10 games tho.

Playing as Southampton I naturally have some good youngsters coming through, and one pretty good striker on loan from Hearts in my first team. Things are looking up :)

You missed his point by a mile.

The player looks alright, bit surprised he has no assists in 10 games tho.

Playing as Southampton I naturally have some good youngsters coming through, and one pretty good striker on loan from Hearts in my first team. Things are looking up :)

Well, he's had a slight dip in form now. Fabio is picking up his game again.

Though Fabio has only 1 assist in 25 games.

Addison was called up to the England squad for me before Jan in the 1st season. His average rating was about 7.4 and he was called up. I sold him in Jan to Everton for £8m and built a whole squad with the money.

Bertrand is my left back at Derby and is immense, also have Andrea Rosi who he shares the games with. Bertrand is now first choice England leftback - about 4 seasons in

Archived