I'm finding game difficult - No dummy throwing

Please help. I've ben an FMer from day one, and I am finding this game the hardest yet. I'm not here to start ranting and saying it is a bug. I completely think it is down to me and the way I play. But at the moment I am finding it sooo frustrating, it's not enjoyable anymore. I'm used to just going next next start match and using the same tactics in previous versions. Now I have more options, I find myself using different tactics for different games. I don't know if this is causing the problem? Maybe I tweak too much?

I have found myself starting the game from scratch about a dozen times now, and have yet to get past Christmas. I always play as Man Utd, and just can't get it right. I have yet to win the Community Shield. I find it impossible to win against teams like Tottenham or Villa. I throw away leads timelessly, and get completely outplayed in all areas of the park. I have splashed money on players to improve the team, to no aveil. Sometimes I play pretty well, and end up with 25 shots at goal, with 3 on target! And lose 1-0 to a team who have one shot.

Please Jim, fix it for me to start enjoying this game again, rather than finding it a chore to play, as I am right now.

Are there any tips people can give me, who play as Utd, or other teams? Tactics tips? To people stick to the same tactic? What do you do during the game now?

I often struggled to get my players to defend well and attack well, especially in the early days and I began to realise the effect playing a diamond 4-4-2 could help enormously. In the holding role with a player like Mbia I will set it to defensive midfielder (support), and then with Joao Moutinho sometimes change it to deep lying playmaker depending on the opposition, and if I think he'll get the space or not.

The AM position in the diamond if filled by Rosicky or Verratti is "Advanced playmaker" on support but if I have to drop someone like Tuncay Sanli in there then I change it to "trequartista".

As for the top 2, I have found a "complete forward" as attack and "defensive forward" set to support can work really well. A pacy player off a stronger, harder working striker works very well for me.

Ricardo Oliveira/Keirrison as the attacking, then one of Roque Santa Cruz, Jo or Nikola Zigic as the defensive forward.

It helps stem the pressure from opposition and keep attacks going with an extra man at either end by default.

I often struggled to get my players to defend well and attack well, especially in the early days and I began to realise the effect playing a diamond 4-4-2 could help enormously. In the holding role with a player like Mbia I will set it to defensive midfielder (support), and then with Joao Moutinho sometimes change it to deep lying playmaker depending on the opposition, and if I think he'll get the space or not.

The AM position in the diamond if filled by Rosicky or Verratti is "Advanced playmaker" on support but if I have to drop someone like Tuncay Sanli in there then I change it to "trequartista".

As for the top 2, I have found a "complete forward" as attack and "defensive forward" set to support can work really well. A pacy player off a stronger, harder working striker works very well for me.

Ricardo Oliveira/Keirrison as the attacking, then one of Roque Santa Cruz, Jo or Nikola Zigic as the defensive forward.

It helps stem the pressure from opposition and keep attacks going with an extra man at either end by default.

Thanks for that Santy. Do you tinker between games or do you always stick to the diamond?

I had same problem to the stage that i had about 5-6 different saves running where i was trying lots of different tactics and training.

I am now extrememly happy that i gave myself the time to sort out what works for MY team. What im saying is what works for others may not work for you. Chop and change on different saves with tactics, formations and players then see what works and what don't. I am playing as Arsenal and over the years have gradually had to change nearly the whole starting Xl, but i always put players into my formation rather than having to change formations to suit my players. Good training helps too if you have the time i would strongly advise to set up aq training schedule for your players. I saw an excellent guide on here to train young players, mid 20's and over 28's seperately. I didnt follow exactly but in fact made my own 1 and the results have been very pleasing. All these factors that i neglected before hand have in fact now made it more enjoyable for me. It takes alot of time but then again so does doing multiple saves so it does balance itself out in the end.

Hopefully this won't come out as a complete rambling mess but hey im famous for it :)

It's probably not the answer you are looking for but I suspect it is very difficult in this version to start as the manager of one of the top clubs in Europe.

I started in League 1 and found a tweaked variation of 442 I was comfortable with and slowly started changing players to match my tactics. After a season of no good results they started to win with it and after 7 seasons they are in Europe and a force in the premiership. I am very happy with my tactics and wouldn't change them but I am 100% sure if I started a new save and shoehorned those tactics into Man Utd I would be sacked by Christmas.

I don't know what you set your experience as when you started but at least make sure that is as high as you can get it if you are starting at the top.

Archived