Team Gelling - Similar Personalities Help

Just thought this was an interesting observation.

I've made a point of checking that all new players coming into the club have similar personalities in my recent game. I even sold or released players without the right type of character to match with my squad. Since doing this, I have noticed that team gelling happens much, much quicker.

The evidence:

Previously, I had paid little or no attention to whether or not my players had similar characters or whether they had to adapt to fit in. Team gelling could sometimes take as long as a three months just to get from 'blending well' to 'good'. However, this season (as an example) I have signed around 5 players who have gone into my first team. I started the season with 'blending well' and after just three games find myself already at 'good' gelling.

Further to the above, during this particular save I have managed to keep my squad at 'strong' or 'extremely' strong understanding with ease and I have even managed to get my squad up to 'willing to die for each other' which I had not seen previously.

It seems to be well worth looking out for this in coach reports under 'character'. Try to make sure players are 'of a similar mold' or 'adding to the [...] nature of the squad'. Try to avoid or sell players who are 'having to adapt to fit in'.

The key here would be to pick a positive personality type (professional, ambitious, determined) and to work around signing similar players who add to, or complement, the character of your squad. Most of the very best players have these kinds of characteristics anyway and things like ambition, professionalism and determination impact upon how likely a player is to reach his potential and become a star.

Hope this is of help to some of you. Just a small thing I have noticed while playing lately and it has helped me to improve my squad building.

Regards,

C.

Pleased you've recognised the benefit C.

Just want to comment on releasing/selling players though.

When you first take over a club the squad personality may not be what you want but over the course of a couple of seasons this can easily be altered with the right purchases & sales. In this case the right type of player might have to adapt at the start but will come more in line with the squad personality as you progress.

Likewise with youngsters, they might have to adapt at the start but with the right tutoring they can move more in line with the squad personality.

Yes, good point about youth. :thup:

Just to clarify on your comment about the squad personality. You are saying that the squad personality might come more in line with a player who has to adapt at first, rather than vice-versa, which is a good point because you can build your squad with a future goal in mind. However, as far as I am aware, there is no way to actually change a player's personality, that is apart from when they are a youth player and in that case tutoring is an option. I stand corrected if there is another way to do it! :D

Regards,

C.

Yes, good point about youth. :thup:

Just to clarify on your comment about the squad personality. You are saying that the squad personality might come more in line with a player who has to adapt at first, rather than vice-versa, which is a good point because you can build your squad with a future goal in mind. However, as far as I am aware, there is no way to actually change a player's personality, that is apart from when they are a youth player and in that case tutoring is an option. I stand corrected if there is another way to do it! :D

Regards,

C.

No what I'm saying is you might have a "Determined" player but if a large number of your original squad have a different personality he will "Have to adapt"

In this case selling him is not the answer, you should sell the others and bring in more "Determined" players until the balance of the squad swings in favour of his type of personality. At this point instead of "Having to Adapt" he'll be listed as "Fits in well" or "Adds to the nature of the squad"

No what I'm saying is you might have a "Determined" player but if a large number of your original squad have a different personality he will "Have to adapt"

In this case selling him is not the answer, you should sell the others and bring in more "Determined" players until the balance of the squad swings in favour of his type of personality. At this point instead of "Having to Adapt" he'll be listed as "Fits in well" or "Adds to the nature of the squad"

Yes that's what I said! :D

Good points anyway. I'm having quite a bit of fun with the squad building at the moment. :)

C.

Thank you for the information, brief and yet so handy. :thup:

I have always and still overlook this, when releasing players or buying ones. As I often think of the players individual stats, and personality more often than not than how does X players personality fit within the team. Only very recently have I adopted the approach to pick more of the similar personality types of players. It always seems determined. It's that the scout reports are always so very tempting though that lures me away honest ;)

Archived