Home advantage

I've just had a 20,000 seat stadium increased to 30,000 and this set me thinking about a number of things concerning crowds and stadiums. For example, will my new larger capacity give me a greater advantage over my opponents? As there is a 'home advantage' caused by the away team having to face a partisan crowd that opposes them, then surely a larger crowd is more of an advantage?

That led me to another thought - some crowds or stadiums are more intimidating than others. Consider the atmospheres generated by certain notorious teams around the world. Many clubs and nations have supporters who let off flares in the stands, Fenerbahce fans are known for jumping up and down to literally make the stands bounce, the Borusia Dortmund fans love shouting out the names of the players are they're announced on the PA system. There's also features of certain grounds that add to the home advantage, like the old slope at Easter Road, Liverpool having the Kop and so on. How could any of this be included in the game, either directly or more simply as some sort of 'intimidation factor'?

Does the fans' allegiance to the team make a difference as to how passionate they are and so have an effect on the home advantage? How about if the team is playing in their favoured style - such as Spurs fans enjoying very attacking football, does that make them cheer louder? Perhaps the home advantage will deteriorate as the manager or players lose the fans' confidence? As cities and towns have desirability ratings in the game, perhaps the passion of the fans has an inverse relationship as they take out their frustrations at living in a sewer of a town on the opposition team, and of course there's the other side of that coin with Roy Keane's prawn sandwich fans - do more affluent cities have less passionate fans?

Any further thoughts, especially about how much of this is in the game already and how could it be included if it's worthwhile?

I believe the number of home fans is factored in the equation for results.

I dont think so. That would mean that there would be a chance of a league table ending up like the attendance table. Whats more likely is that there is a small percentage shift in your favour, when the match engine does its calculations, if your the home team.

Some interesting responses.

If the size of the home crowd is of little importance in terms of influencing the players, then where does the advantage of playing at home come from? Is it perhaps from the physical act of travelling to another place, and if so does the distance make a difference? Is it familiarity with the ground and facilities? In other words, why does having a game at home make such a difference to the likely result?

About different players reacting differently - is this a simulated aspect of the game? Perhaps a player with higher bravery or concentration will be less intimidated by a large opposing crowd?

Archived