An in-game problem in attracting coaches

Hi all,

Since acquiring my first Football Manager game when I lived in Australia in 2007 and felt so far away from the epicenter of football (sorry, nothing personal, Aussies, tbh I tried my best and follow Sydney FC while I could), I've been a die-hard fan of this series.

It's a fantastic simulation game, and I just love it. Maybe because of that we start to become very detail-oriented and demanding.

So here goes a situation that I find myself in (once again) and I believe it's hugely unrealistic when compared to the actual football market.

I won the Russian League with a mid-to-top team, Lokomotiv. My reputation is soaring and I also defeated Roma in Europe - my team is currently ranked number 39 in the continent, and I expect this season, with a decent campaign in the Champions League, to be amongst the 30 best.

I also have plenty of money and a very good system for years to come (my U18 was 1st and 2nd in the last 2 leagues, and my reserve team won the last with many youngsters).

Still, even though I am a Brazilian/Australian coach, I had experiences in Poland, Brazil and Croatia besides Russia, my team knowledge is very good and it's very difficult to find 7-star or even 6-star coaches.

I did find 2 shooting 6-star coaches in the game, whose salaries were far below my capabilities.

Both of them were in Brazil and I offered them (no kidding), 10 times more than they earn plus an unlikely sum of money for them to come to Russia.

Responde? Basic wage unnaceptable.

Let's be more objective. A guy earns 150 euros a week. Comes a team from Europe and offers him 1,700.

And he basically says the wage is unnaceptable.

IRL, Brazilian coaches are exported all the time to places where football is not nearly as evolved as Russia. Even a top manager like Scolari is in Uzbekistan. There are Brazilian coaches in Indonesia, Iraq, etc.

And still, these guys (along with scouts and others) would prefer a 1/10th of a salary in their homeland instead of going to Europe, in a capital city - also, full of beautiful ladies, so no excuses at all - to train a team in Champions League.

Unreal, actually. Being from Brazil and following football, I know a Brazilian coach would never (except in extreme personal situations) decline such an offer.

Then I find a physio in Scotland (Partick Thistle, sp) who has a 20/20 technique/attack coach duo and very good DDM stats. I offer him the same stuff, more than 10-times his salary, as I am desperate to find a suitable shooting coach.

Result? Unnaceptable wages.

Anyway, I know each save has its own behavior towards coaching abilities but if anyone would be able to give me some light on a shooting coach by 2015, I'd appreciate. I used the Search function, to no effect.

Actually, to my surprise I realized that Search only brings some of the staff within a specific parameter (high technique/high attack).

I realized that deciding to scout team by team on some leagues that I felt I could steal a coach from (not Spain or Premier League, but Poland, 2nd Division in Germany, Croatia, Serbia, etc.)

Finally, the best case of such an incredible lack of reality was trying to sign-up a scout from a Brazilian club called Santa Quiteria. The guy wouldn't trade a 3rd division-relegated team from Brazil with no structure at all to be employed (in South America, btw) by Lokomotiv.

I think SI should take a look at this issue, along with so many others like the problems with the suspension rules that gets a player banned for 4-games due to a second yellow in game...

Cheers,

Tele

from my understanding there is slight to minimal difference between a 5 star coach and a 7 star. also from understanding training does f-all in fm09, so you are stressing about not much. Also the higher the star coach it just means the more times he will be poached from you by bigger teams.

stress less i say :p .. i wonder if training has been revamped in fm10

Sorry Purefun,

wasn't too sure where to place it.

Anyway, regardless of the actual difference that there is between a 7-star and a 5-star coach - actually, I'd like more evidence that there is not such difference - there must be, otherwise it would be useless to use such a system - I think it's a fair point to say that I just expect the game to follow reality closer.

Would anyone argue that is absolutely unreal for a coach (or, case in point...any professional) exchange a similar job for a 10x higher wage in a capital city in Europe?

Cheers,

Tele

The Russian league is actually in a "Developing" status in FM2009, so you'll struggle to keep hold of Staff and Players or attact those of suitable quality, compared to other leagues around Europe which are "Developed".

But with that said, it's still unrealistic for a Coach or Scout to reject a move from a 3rd Tier Brazilian club to a Russian Premier League club! :D

Perhaps keep his wages the same, but offer a signing on fee?

Hey Swisso,

Thanks for the tip! Actually I already tried to set the signing on fee on the higher possible, and, da, the answer is still the same.

Pretty boring to be honest.

I do agree that Russian League is not in the same tier as the top or even 2nd tier in Europe, but as I said, I can't see why the Brazilian, Argentinean, Serbian and other pilgrim-type coaches wouldn't be attracted for a 10x salary in Europe and the chance to coach a team in the Champions League...

Cheers,

Tele

Archived