Problem with new contract - not accepting what he wants!

I've got a striker who I signed for 500k a couple of seasons back on a deal 'til the end of the season. After impressing me, I then gave him a 2 year deal at the end of that season on £7,500 a week. I've just been promoted to the Premiership (I'm Redditch) and his contract is running out as those 2 years are up. When i offer him a new deal, he wants £7,000 a week (strange in itself as he's been integral to my success so should want more) but when I offer him it he rejects, stating that the basic wage isn't good enough but a deal could be reached. I offer him £14,000 (my limit) and he still declines for the same reason.

Is this a bug? I'd be fine with him wanting a pay rise if I knew what he wanted! But there's not much I can do when he's not accepting what he, er, is asking for. Technically it isn't a problem as no other clubs are coming in for him, but I don't like the fact that he's got a CTR next to his name despite him being my best player! It looks untidy!

Anybody know anything?

Offering the max amount of wages you can together with reasonable bonuses and a realistic minimum release fee might persuade him to sign a new contract. You might just have to accept that he wants to leave for a new club especially if bigger clubs are showing an interest.

No that isn't a problem. He doesn't want to move club or anything. Nor am I not offering him the correct 'role'. I've basically offered him as good a deal as possible - maximum goal bonus, assists, release clauses etc and it just doesn't work. He's perfectly happy, and just got the winner for my in my first Premiership win. It's just annoying that he's out of contract and there's nothing I can do to sign him up. As ToffeeViola said, I think it's just an annoying bug that you can do nothing about, I'm just checking.

Archived