Loan to buy?

I was reading an interview from a West Ham United fan site with our CEO, Scott Duxbury. At one point he mentioned something about loans which completely went against my undestanding of how they work, both in game and in real life. Here's the piece of the article I'm talking about:

KUMB: On the technical side again, what happens at the end of the loan period if we want to exercise our option to buy and the player decides he doesn't want to come? How does that pan out?

SD: It's like any transfer - you can't keep a player that doesn't want to be here so it would be identical to Mikel's [transfer from Man Utd to Chelsea]. They had an option and in the end Chelsea ended up paying Man United £12million - and Man United didn't even have a day where the player trained. That's what would happen.

Generally he's our player, we would exercise the option so he's on a four-year contract. If the player doesn't want to stay we're not going to force him so he'd be sold for £20-£25million or whatever we agree or what fee a compensation court says. But the thing is, and this is so clear with Gianfranco, is that it's all about personal relationships. If he wants to stay and be with Gianfranco he will do - if he doesn't Gianfranco doesn't want him, so...

Am I just reading it wrong at this late hour or is he saying that at the end of a loan that has the future fee legally agreed, the player has no say in whether he moves club or not if the loan-team exercise the right to buy? That can't be right? I always thought the player would just return to his original club.

It makes sense. The player and his agent would have been in on the original agreement. It's like a transfer with the money paid later. This is FMGQ - in the game if you have a loan-to-buy deal, the club always completes the deal even if the player is rubbish.

It makes sense. The player and his agent would have been in on the original agreement. It's like a transfer with the money paid later. This is FMGQ - in the game if you have a loan-to-buy deal, the club always completes the deal even if the player is rubbish.

I disagree. In my current game most of my players who were on a loan-to-buy clause returned, without the clubs having completed the deal.

Archived