Pride is a Deadly Sin

... or so it seems.

I have just come out of an enthralling game with arsenal with my barely premiership survival quality squad and bossed them off the park. I was immensley proud. Oh so proud. My players knocked arsenal - now five times in a row EPL champions, European Champion, League Cup Holders, and FA Cup finalists - off of their high horse, and what makes it even better - we beat them using their own game.

Simply put we out played them. Only for one fool to cost us the game.

Now while this may seem like bragging, its not intended to be. Its actually meant to set the scene for my press conference for which I am truly ****ed off about.

"A spirited defeat against an Arsenal side you were expected to lose heavily to. What is your reaction to this result? I was asked, and my response was the truth...

"I was very pleased with the spirit and play of the lads" - to which my players have responded badly.

How?

We had 60% possession, 12 to their three shots on target, no yellow cards to their five so on so forth... so how can they react badly to that.

Some of them are saying that they feel they dont have to do much to earn my praise.

What?!

Sorry - I just needed to let off some steam from that appaling reaction :D

Maybe they're highly ambitious and hate losing.

While that is of course something that I would love to be true, I just cant get passed the fact that my team just took a morale hit because I praised them for a brilliant performance against a brilliant team.

Oh, and just in time for the a massive splurge of games. Fanatstique.

Send your ass man. The press confs have been a total disaster in FM09

I do that for all the ones before a game because I dont want a morale hit pre-game. But If we have played well, or if a player has played well, I like to praise them through the media at press conferences after games- I find that actually doing it through Player Interaction leads to repercutions, while this doesn't.

Archived