Differences between Target Man and Playmaker

Ok, this may sound a bit daft, but both roles mean that team mates will look to pass to that player. Is the main difference that a Target man will be the target of more direct passing whereas the playmaker will receive more short passes?

The reason I'm asking this is because I was wondering whether a player like Robinho, if playing as a striker (or AMC) would be effective as a playmaker (especially if playing possession football). My impression thus far is that he is but I'm curious to get any insights someone else may have.

A playmaker is a player who teammates always try to pick out and determines the tempo the team plays. All attacks revolve around him. A target man is normally the big man who holds up the ball and trys to bring others into the game :thup:

A playmaker is a player who teammates always try to pick out and determines the tempo the team plays. All attacks revolve around him. A target man is normally the big man who holds up the ball and trys to bring others into the game :thup:

Sure, but if you target him by "run onto ball" or "to feet" then he doesn't necessarily have to be a big man. So if you're playing possession football would you want to have a small player like him as a target man (with run onto ball ticked) or as an advanced playmaker (or none at all!).

I said normally. You can get other types of target man like Berbatov who get the ball played into there feet because they have great technique. But the same definition goes to all target men - "A player that holds up the ball and brings others into a game".

Sure, but if you target him by "run onto ball" or "to feet" then he doesn't necessarily have to be a big man. So if you're playing possession football would you want to have a small player like him as a target man (with run onto ball ticked) or as an advanced playmaker (or none at all!).

I used to set Gabby Agbonlahor as a target man in my earlier years in my Villa save. Used to have it set to run onto ball because he has absolutely blistering pace. Worked quite effectively aswell.

I think the main difference between a target man and a playmaker is noticeable with mentality,passing and tempo more than anything. If you have an attacking mentality with direct/long balls then players are going to look for a target man. If you have a slow tempo passing game where you like to build from the back and have a playmaker make that killer ball at the crucial time then your players are going to look to pass to your playmaker more often.

Others may have different opinions on this but this is how I interpret the difference between the two.

I used to set Gabby Agbonlahor as a target man in my earlier years in my Villa save. Used to have it set to run onto ball because he has absolutely blistering pace. Worked quite effectively aswell.

I think the main difference between a target man and a playmaker is noticeable with mentality,passing and tempo more than anything. If you have an attacking mentality with direct/long balls then players are going to look for a target man. If you have a slow tempo passing game where you like to build from the back and have a playmaker make that killer ball at the crucial time then your players are going to look to pass to your playmaker more often.

Others may have different opinions on this but this is how I interpret the difference between the two.

Yeah, that's what I think too. Basically a target man, regardless of how you supply him, is targeted by more direct passes, whereas a playmaker will be the target of short passes. In that case you can have a more advanced playmaker, he just won't be so involved in the initial transition phase of your attack (especially if he's playing as CF).

Anyone ever tried setting the playmaker and targetman as the SAME player?

Interesting question, I imagine his teammates will ALWAYS try to pass the ball to him at ANY range :)

Archived