Cant finish one on one with the keeper

this is ridiculous , almost everytime my players are one on one with the keeper he always misses , well the keeper saves it.

and my strikers arent poor , they are high quality and doesnt matter what my tactic, the tactic doesnt matter when you get one on one , how come keepers are so good one on one ?

i am very dissapointed with this as i have lost the premier league and champions league final due to this.

for an example in the champions league final vs barcelona for me robinho had 4 one on one's and valdes saved them all which would have never happened in real life

and guess what i lost 1-0 , and they had 1 shot on target and that was one on one and the player was toure how can he score 1v1 and robinho had 4 chances 1v1 and doesnt score

if they go for power, they ususally miss. try to train them with "place shot". or "round the keeper" if he is fast enough and with good dribbling skill.

I agree. I had same problem with Cvitanich in Ajax. He always hit a furious shot that reflected from GK in 1-1 situations. Then I trained him to place shots and he scores a lot more, as he has decent composure/technique/finishing.

Edgar Manucharyan (also Ajax) is strong with technique and dribbling, so I ordered him to round the keeper and he's also doing it successfully in games. He's not very good at finishing and he sucks at long shots, so he really has to dribble through defenders, trick the goalie and then put the ball to empty net. And it works!

So take a look of your strikers attributes, think how he could use his skills the best way and choose his PPM according to that.

This was a big problem on the 9.2 patch. The issue wasn't so much that you didn't score from many 1-v-1s, it the the number of chances that he ME generated against the % of chances converted, and the calculations in place swayed the odds in favour of the GK. Over a season the number of 1-v-1s score was pretty realistic, but LOOKS very bad when you see how many chances you had. They fixed this, though.

Are you patched to 9.3? If so, then it isn't a widespread problem and most likely does lie with training, tactics, mentality, or some such issue. I know 4 one-on-ones saved is very unlikely in a game, but it does happen. Not in several important games, admittedly.

Like someone else said, if it's the same player all the time you might want to ask him to retrain - just look at his attributes and see what suits him best. If he has good dribbling and pace, ask him to round the keeper when one on one. If he has good finishing and composure, maybe ask him to lob the keeper or, even better, "place shots".

In short, you shouldn't be having this issue on 9.3.0, and if you are, it isn't a bug or fault with the game.

In addition what backpackant said, in latest patches the number of CCC-s are significantly lower than in earlier versions of the game.

With 9.3 you can dominate the game, but you very rarely get more than 2-3 clear cut chances.

It's rather obvious that if you're better, your opponent backs down in defence and there will be less room.

More CCC-s are coiming from counters - if your leading 1-0 and match report says that opponent is switching to attacking tactics and you switch to CA tactics then you'll see that your pacey striker is getting fair share of 1-1 chances. Otherwise it's quite hard to crack the entire defensive line open and find himself 1-1 with keeper.

For me Torres is the main culprit of this kind of thing. He's 1-1 at least once or twice a game sometimes more, but just seems to blast it right down the keepers throat. One of his favoured moves is "likes to lob the keeper" but I haven't seen him attempt it once yet? I'm 15 games into the league and appart from one hat-trick against Sunderland he's only scored 1 other goal. I'm second in the league and unbeaten in all competitions so far and he seems to score more in the cup games.

This inability to score 1-1's seems compounded by the fact when he gets the ball he seems to just run right into the nearest defender and has suffered several 2-3 week injuries because of "colliding with other players".

I play a 4-2-3-1 formation and Torres is set to make forward runs, run with ball, short passing and try through balls, with high creative freedom and attacking mentality. I have just asked him to "place shots" and it was soon after this he hit his hat-trick against Sunderland so there might be some truth in the advice on here so far.

Can anyone advise how to stop him running blindly into the nearest defender and constantly being caught in possession?

Antmanbrooks, I would advise "direct" or at least "normal" passing to any single-forward-formation striker.

When set to "short" he obviously couldn't find anybody near him, so he's stuck with a ball and have no place to put it, that's why he's struggling.

Try "hold ball" and "direct passing". It should look then as following - Torres gets the ball, when he's against defender, he holds ball until some of your 3 AMC-s run past him and tries to give ball forward to them through opp. defensive line. Direct passing moves your game forward, as short passes are very often given backwards. (Torres gets ball, tries to lay it back to AMCs, attack gets stucked).

Antmanbrooks, I would advise "direct" or at least "normal" passing to any single-forward-formation striker.

When set to "short" he obviously couldn't find anybody near him, so he's stuck with a ball and have no place to put it, that's why he's struggling.

Try "hold ball" and "direct passing". It should look then as following - Torres gets the ball, when he's against defender, he holds ball until some of your 3 AMC-s run past him and tries to give ball forward to them through opp. defensive line. Direct passing moves your game forward, as short passes are very often given backwards. (Torres gets ball, tries to lay it back to AMCs, attack gets stucked).

Thanks Draakon, I'll give this a go.

Archived