International Call-up = First Team Experience?

Just curious if the Topic Title is true...

For my first team players: Is International team experience equal (or greater) for player development as playing for the First Team?

For my Youths: Is playing for the U19/U21/etc. international team equal or greater for their development than playing for my First Team?

Both of these examples assume that I don't manage the international team.

Thanks,

werkz

Its going to depend on the team and the club, I suspect.

Competitive international experience with England, Brazil, etc., is going to count more than a match for Man U .. but a match for Man U is probably going to count a lot more than a friendly match for the Faroe Islands Under-21s.

In general, I think international experience is a key component of a player's development; I'm quite content to let my players gain as much international experience as they possibly can.

Thanks again, Amaroq!

I was just wondering because I have a LOT of youth players who get called up (as many as 9) and two are starters and one is a sub. I was wondering which would be more beneficial for my players: keep playing for me or allow them to get called up to gain a bigger boost.

Wow, that's certainly plenty - but again, its really going to depend on the country and the club.

For example, I'm York City down in the BSP, and my goalkeeper starts for the Faroe Islands. I figure those are probably pretty close to equal, but that the European Championship Qualifying is probably giving him more experience and exposure than an average BSP match. So, I let him play in the Faroe friendlies so that he stays their first choice.

If I were Manchester United, and he were my starter, I'd probably keep him playing for me if a Faroe friendly conflicted with an EPL match, especially a key one in which I expected him to be tested often.

I think you're going to want to make your own judgment for each country, for each player .. but remember, denying him that playing time risks worsening your relationship with the player and even causing him to dislike you. So I wouldn't do it to anybody who wasn't going to start a key match for me in the meantime .. my subs, U-18s and Reserve players its a no-brainer, I don't even give them the 45-minutes instruction.

I think you're going to want to make your own judgment for each country, for each player .. but remember, denying him that playing time risks worsening your relationship with the player and even causing him to dislike you. So I wouldn't do it to anybody who wasn't going to start a key match for me in the meantime .. my subs, U-18s and Reserve players its a no-brainer, I don't even give them the 45-minutes instruction.

Great stuff. I am Chivas in Mexico, so using your suggestion, it would seem prudent allowing them the opportunity to experience international competition. Makes sense.

I know that there are 'reputation' levels for leagues and wasn't sure if somebody knew what the 'reputation' of international play was. I thought maybe it would factor into it somehow. You suggest that anyway - ManU having the highest rep in the highest rep league vs. Toronto FC in the MLS = it's obvious where the best competition would be found for players.

9 players you say haha, this is interesting didn't know much about the weighting of experience for internationals

thanks

51 players. hahaha... that would be the equivalent of my 'A', reserve, youth and close to half of my 'B' squad. :D

Man, I don't even have 51 players on my current squad!! :D

I know that there are 'reputation' levels for leagues and wasn't sure if somebody knew what the 'reputation' of international play was. I thought maybe it would factor into it somehow.

Yeah, if somebody knows I'd be interested to learn the answer.

I hope, however, that its done more by "competition" than anything - in other words, a World Cup Finals match is going to matter more than a European Championship Qualifier, which in turn is going to matter more than a North American Gold Cup match.

That would leave the question, "how do you rate friendlies"? .. maybe by quality of opposition? France vs Brazil counting fairly strong, but Faroe Islands U-21s vs Lichtenstein U-21s counting about as much as a Reserve league match?

It's interesting that international friendly reputation in the fm official editor is "1".

So conference league has a better reputation and players will not benefit from int. friendly matches !! Or maybe int. friendlies are calculated by a different way ?

If not, I'll edit its rep. and give it a reasonable number.

Archived