Strange retirements

Anyone had any strange retirements in their game?

Theres a 22 year old goalkeeper who was playing regularly for Boavista but has just been released in my game and hes in the Portugal team, uncapped, but has decided to retire in one years time. Bit strange, and whats even more strange is that because he's retiring i can't sign him but he has a year before his retirement, so a year to play for Portugal.

Although he's an older player, I did see Ryan Giggs released by Man Utd at the end of the first season in one save. What sruck me most was not a single club tried to sign him and after six months without a club, he retired completely, didn't even become a coach or anything.

Perhaps though I was most disgruntled to see such quality go to waste when the door was open for a chance to star in my newly promoted to League 2 Altrincham side at the time. ;)

Has happened in my game multiple times. Someone on the forums gave a reason for it once, I believe, but I forgot what it was.

I believe that it has something to do with how long a player goes without a club. I'm sure someone else can be more specific on how long that actually is though.

I believe that it has something to do with how long a player goes without a club. I'm sure someone else can be more specific on how long that actually is though.

I dont know exactly how long it takes but being without a club for a certain length of time triggers this 'feature'. I personally think its pointless and should be removed from the game or at least modified. I can understand it if the player has a serious career threatening injury but they just retire because they dont have a club. I think if this happened irl then clubs would snap these players up especially if they had been released by a big club.

what annoys me most is when young players 17-22 retire after turning down a chance to join my team in the lower leagues. Surely it is better to drop down than just give up. At least you would get a chance of being spotted by another club.

Archived