Has anyone built a squad based on grit & determination?

Having built an all round squad of some quality and being rated as a "determined nature" squad overall, I feel they are a bit lightweight in battle sometimes. Has anyone built a squad focussing on the following primarily:

a/ Determination

b/ Professionalism

c/ Strength

d/ Pace

I know these attributes are only part of the game but I am wondering if (for example) an SC with exceptional stats in these areas but with finishing / first touch / anticipation of only 8 -10 for each, may be better & more reliable than eg "Pace 14, Strgth 12, Fairly Professional, Determination 13"?.

If my current St Etienne game tires me I may resort to a Blue Sq adventure in building a non-league powerhouse based on these "attributes". Has anyone already tried this?

England's national team iirc.

They aren't doing too well.

There are now they've got a decent Football Manager ;)

You need a balance - it's all very well having a nippy, happy bunch, but you need defenders who can tackle and forwards who can hit the onion-bag too. However, at non-league level where technical skills are low and mental attributes poor, your edge in the physical department should serve you well. Higher up the leagues you need more technical and mental prowess, but all being well your squad will develop this with training, maturity and match experience.

There are now they've got a decent Football Manager ;)

You need a balance - it's all very well having a nippy, happy bunch, but you need defenders who can tackle and forwards who can hit the onion-bag too. However, at non-league level where technical skills are low and mental attributes poor, your edge in the physical department should serve you well. Higher up the leagues you need more technical and mental prowess, but all being well your squad will develop this with training, maturity and match experience.

Thanks, that has given me a little faith. I suspect in French L1 I do need to toughen up but that probably means shipping out a few bad eggs rather than creating a "New Model Army" from scratch!

Would be an interesting Lower League project though. It didnt feel the right way to go in a top League,even the "Bolton of 5 years ago" type team are having limited effect now in real life.

Archived