The Brian Clough Challenge

In light of the new Brian Clough movie coming out I thought it'd be a good idea to have a Brian Clough challenge. Also for those interested there is a Brian Clough documentary on TV tonight (25 March) on ITV at 22.30 :thup:

For those that do not know who Brian Clough is I'll go over a brief overview of the man. For die hard fans the name Brian Clough is often associated with "The Greatest English Manager never to have managed England". His most notable success is with both Derby and Nottingham Forrest winning the league with both clubs and two Champions League wins with Nottingham.

However it was Hartlepool where the manager started managing with Peter Taylor being his assistant. He stayed 2 years with the club before moving on to Derby where he won the league and got to the European Cup semi finals before being knocked out by Juventus. From Derby he moved onto Brighton where he did not succeed at all only winning 12 out of his 32 games in charge. He then moved onto Leeds where he was branded “the least successful Leeds Manager of all time” winning 1 in 6 games. He left the club in 19th place with only 4 points.

However the next step in Clough’s career was his biggest as he quickly stepped back into management with Nottingham Forest. In 1978 Clough won the league with Nottm Forest and was the second manager behind Herbert Chapman to win the league with two different teams. During his time at Nottingham he won the European Cup twice (versus Malmo FF and HSV) and the Carling Cup 4 times.

So on with the challenge. You may load as many leagues as you like and have as big a database as you like just as long as you have the English league selected. When you add your manager make sure the reputation is “International Footballer”, This will become important for the future.

Step One - Hartlepool You start your career at Hartlepool. You have to stay at least two seasons before moving onto the next step.

Step Two - Derby Apply for the Derby job when it becomes available. Your mission here is to win the Premiership. Also you have to do one better then Mr Clough and win the Champions League before you can move onto the next step.

Step Three - Nottingham Forest Leave Derby for their rivals Nottingham Forest. Your mission is to win the EPL, the Carling Cup four times and the Champions League twice. Brian Clough never won the FA Cup however you have to do better then that and win that once too.

Step Four - England Achieve what Clough wasn’t in contention for and win the WC with England!

I dont want to be pedantic or anything, but the fact that Brian Clough never managed England, will forever be a travesty to English football... therefore... this challenge shouldn't end with the England job... however, the challenge should be ended by a screenshot of you being offered the England job, and politely telling them to go and play with oncoming traffic...

My opinion...

as a forest fan i had to start this, I have added my manager to hartlepool called Brian Clough jnr..... Forgot to add international experience, its on automatic i think.... is this a problem?

Hartlepool centenary year this year, i will let you know how i get on

Archived