Two questions, one for techies, one for Worldwide Footy manager Players

Ok, will be very quick, about to press submit on purchasing my new rig.

Have recently relocated from England to Australia and left behind my old computer for my loving family.

Am about to purchase a new rig but wanted a quick question answered first.

My rig, though not ridiculously expensive is fairly nice, nothing spectacular, nothing too shoddy. Hoping to get a good couple of years out of it.

Price is not TOO much of an issue but if i can keep my outgoings down to a minimum i would like to (Migrating to Oz aint so cheap!!), however if significant enough am prepared to fork out the little extra cash.

So my techie questions is really rather simple.

Dual Core, or Core 2 duo?? Is it worth paying the extra? is there really that much difference?

Prices over here change depending on the time of day (Its a shock to the system at first, weird way of doing things) so if vigilant you can get really top notch deals.

But needless to say i can get a very cheap, yet very good dual core processor which i would normally jump at. However for the sake of 35 quid or whatever it may be is it worth bypassing the Dual Core and just lumping a Core 2 Duo into the rig.

Thanks for the help on that one.

And to question 2.

Over here to purchase what i believe to be Football Manager, i think the game is re branded World Wide Soccer Manager.

I just wanted to confirm that World Wide Soccer manager is definitely Football Manager re branded and not a slightly different game.

Being from England until recently obviously ChampMan/FootyMan has been my religion and i have never really paid attention to what World Wide Soccer manager is, so just checking that it is in fact the same game to the letter.

Many thanks anyone who can help.

By the way, anyone interested in my relatively modest rig, i can post specs for opinions on what i may not need or may want to add.

Again thanks guys.

Enjoy!!.

By the way, to MODS who may think this post inappropriate for the forum,

I am purchasing the rig (at this time) for the sole reason of playing Football Manager 2009. (I am yet to experience its wonders so i assure you it is wholeheartedly relevant and not off-topic.)

Many thanks.

And to question 2.

Over here to purchase what i believe to be Football Manager, i think the game is re branded World Wide Soccer Manager.

I just wanted to confirm that World Wide Soccer manager is definitely Football Manager re branded and not a slightly different game.

Being from England until recently obviously ChampMan/FootyMan has been my religion and i have never really paid attention to what World Wide Soccer manager is, so just checking that it is in fact the same game to the letter.

Can't help you with the first question but I believe it's still Football Manager in Australia. It's called Football Manager here in NZ so I don't see why it would be different for Aus, it might be though.

Thanks for both of those replies.

Have just done a little research and I think it is actually called Football Manager over here. I was just reading an Australian IGN review for the game just to increase the anticipation but they call it WWSM 09. However i think its just a rehash of the American review rather than an actual Australian review of Football Manager 2009. Anyhow, that clears that up.

Hopefully some people can help with whether the two different types of processor really make too much difference.

Thanks again.

Core i7 is just out if you don't mind paying the extra. I have yet to use one though but it is the successor to core and core 2. Uses different ram and needs a different type of motherboard though so you'll be paying extra for those too as they'll be new.

Dual Core, or Core 2 duo?? Is it worth paying the extra? is there really that much difference?

Prices over here change depending on the time of day (Its a shock to the system at first, weird way of doing things) so if vigilant you can get really top notch deals.

But needless to say i can get a very cheap, yet very good dual core processor which i would normally jump at. However for the sake of 35 quid or whatever it may be is it worth bypassing the Dual Core and just lumping a Core 2 Duo into the rig.

Thanks for the help on that one.

I would go with a Core 2 Duo processor if as you said, you would be willing to fork out a little bit more. FM is a processing intensive game as it is, so it would make sense to go with a more powerful processor.

Perhaps you could list out specifically which two processors you are comparing? They would have a model number like E5200 or E8200. We would then be able to offer greater assistance in making a more well-informed comparison.

I would go with a Core 2 Duo processor if as you said, you would be willing to fork out a little bit more. FM is a processing intensive game as it is, so it would make sense to go with a more powerful processor.

Perhaps you could list out specifically which two processors you are comparing? They would have a model number like E5200 or E8200. We would then be able to offer greater assistance in making a more well-informed comparison.

Hi Ediocy,

Its interesting on a couple of levels that you say that.

Due to me being here in OZ im obviously on a very different time frame to your guys back in ye ol' England, so have had to resort to my own research

I made the decision with my partner that seeing as we would probably keep this rig for at least a year we would go with the E7400 Core 2 Duo rather than bothering with the dual core.

I read up and understand about the difference between there being one bus around the two processors in dual core or two running around the individual two processors in the core 2 duo.

that all makes sense and makes the Core 2 duo the obvious choice, however i have been pricing up the e7400.

However it seems in benchmarks the e7400 has pretty much been passed up.

I have heard of processors in the 5xxx series offering even more power, probably when overclocked, or just going for anything in the 8xxx series.

I guess now my question is why the e7400 was completely ignored or am i just not looking hard enough??

Whilst we are trying to save pennies we seem to keep compromising to make sure our rig will handle most things we want to do to the point that i am paying about 200 quid extra than i was before i posted this message.

Any experiences or advice to advise from anyone???

Also for the mobo, that has changed also, im planning to have four GIG from corsair and it seems Vista Ultimate x64 is the only OS that will allow me the whole of my RAM and that i need to think seriously about a serious Mobo to create even a decent rig these days.

Things have changed quite a lot in the past year?????!!!!

Thanks for your HELP guys and gals.

Hi Ediocy,

Its interesting on a couple of levels that you say that.

Due to me being here in OZ im obviously on a very different time frame to your guys back in ye ol' England, so have had to resort to my own research

I made the decision with my partner that seeing as we would probably keep this rig for at least a year we would go with the E7400 Core 2 Duo rather than bothering with the dual core.

I read up and understand about the difference between there being one bus around the two processors in dual core or two running around the individual two processors in the core 2 duo.

that all makes sense and makes the Core 2 duo the obvious choice, however i have been pricing up the e7400.

However it seems in benchmarks the e7400 has pretty much been passed up.

I have heard of processors in the 5xxx series offering even more power, probably when overclocked, or just going for anything in the 8xxx series.

I guess now my question is why the e7400 was completely ignored or am i just not looking hard enough??

Whilst we are trying to save pennies we seem to keep compromising to make sure our rig will handle most things we want to do to the point that i am paying about 200 quid extra than i was before i posted this message.

Any experiences or advice to advise from anyone???

Also for the mobo, that has changed also, im planning to have four GIG from corsair and it seems Vista Ultimate x64 is the only OS that will allow me the whole of my RAM and that i need to think seriously about a serious Mobo to create even a decent rig these days.

Things have changed quite a lot in the past year?????!!!!

Thanks for your HELP guys and gals.

I would not claim to be an authority on pc tech, but from my limited understanding, Intel Core 2 Duo was the next step up in technology from Intel Pentium Dual-Core. As such, you should be right in saying Core 2 Duo would be usually always better than Pentium Dual-Core. I do not overclock my processor though, so I cannot offer any advice on which of the two types would provide more mileage for overclocking.

And I think E7400 is not necessarily a bad choice for a processor. It may be outperformed in benchmark tests, but if its competitors are the 8xxx series processors, that is to be expected. I believe the 7xxx series is supposed to be more budget friendly whereas the 8xxx and the 9xxx series (with a larger L2 cache especially) offer you more performance at the expense of raising your budget.

What is the purpose of your pc again? You had mentioned that you would be playing FM 09 on it. If that is all, the E7400 processor should be enough for your needs. If the price of the E8200 is comparable to that of the E7400 though, you could consider that as well. Anything higher would not really be required if you are trying to keep your budget from inflating.

More qualified techies could contribute their opinions though. I am really not one. :(

Archived