Home grown players and Loans

Guest eddied007

Guest eddied007

Hi guys,

I'm using FM08 still, and the home grown rule for european competition has got me a bit puzzled. I've done a few searches and found contradicting statements but here's what i've gathered so far:

For all those competitions:

- Players 21 and under (or 20 and under, need confirmation) can play in any european competition without being registered, but some of them may not count as home grown.

- Home grown player needs to train in your country for 3 years. This applies even to EU nationals.

Here are the questions then:

- If I'm Roma and I buy a 17yr old Brazilian, he needs to train in Italy for 3 years. If I send him on loan to Belgium so he can be a EU National in 3 years, then he won't count as home grown even though he is mine????

- If I loan a 17 yrd old Italian who has been with me for a year to France so he can get some experience, will he count as Home grown?

- Is there any view that will show us how long until players attain home grown status (in FM08 and FM09?)

Thanks,

Ed

Not sure about 08, but in 09, as long as you own a player for 3 years between 15 and 21, you can loan him wherever (well, I've only tried within Europe) for as many seasons as you want and he will end up home grown.

So in answer to your first two questions, yes. On your third, in FM09 you can select 'Home Grown Status' in the team view selector and it will tell you what date they will become home grown (nation) and home grown (club) if they aren't already, and will list the ones that already are. It's a very helpful new addition to this years FM.

Guest eddied007

Thanks Gonz that clears things up like you wouldn't believe. I have about 20 non-italian youngsters all under 21 and i didn't know whether i could loan them anywhere or not, i was being careful to try and loan them within italy which is crazy hard. Thanks a bunch

• 4 months later...
...but in 09, as long as you own a player for 3 years between 15 and 21, you can loan him wherever (well, I've only tried within Europe) for as many seasons as you want and he will end up home grown.

So ownership is the key? Will owning a player, then loaning him out, make him home-grown "by club" or "in nation" or both?

i suspect ownership is the key. on my man city game, mario balotelli has a PA of 197 is is now home-grown. fabregas counted (at least in 08) as HG for both barcelona and arsenal. home-grown status for clubs doesn't necessarily mean that the player is from the same nation as the club.

i don't know how this works with, say, sending a non-EU player for 3 years to belgium.

Archived