AI underdog teams too defensive

Hi SI,

This is a great game but I have a small complaint with the ME that really annoys me. Whenever I am playing a home match against a much weaker oppnent, the AI goes into a ridiculously defensive shell that is A) far too boring to watch and B) totally unrealistic.

And I don't feel good winning and getting clean sheets in these games. Often, these weaker oppenents dont even register a shot. All the oppenent does is pass the ball back and forth bewtween the back four and then they just hoof it up the field to no one in particular.

Quick example, I am Roma playing at home against Cagliari. I win 3-0. I had 11 shots on net they had 0.

In real life, Roma won this match 3-2 and both teams had over 9 shots on target. Now I can understand a team like Torquay playing an extreme defense when they play lets say -Man U -in the FA Cup, but when teams are in the same league this should not happen.

Underdog IRL teams do play defensively but its more subtle than what is portrayed in FM.

United defence have allowed 1 shot a game against Van Der Saar in the Premier League in the last like 10 games and thats an average, dont call me out on dead accuracy but 13 clean sheets in a row say a lot

here are the match stats from West Ham Man U match yetserday:

WH MAN U

Shots (on Goal) 14(3) 20(3)

Fouls 16 10

Corner Kicks 5 11

Offsides 2 1

Time of Possession 46% 54%

Yellow Cards 1 1

Red Cards 0 0

Saves 2 3

In this match West Ham had a few nice attacking spells. My point about FM is that in this game in FM West ham would not have registered a single shot most likely. They would have gone into that def shell for the full 90 minutes.

In this match West Ham had a few nice attacking spells. My point about FM is that in this game in FM West ham would not have registered a single shot most likely. They would have gone into that def shell for the full 90 minutes.

Don't agree with that at all. The way you're talking, you'd think that underdogs could never win, the fact that they do and can means that your defensive theory doesn't hold up.

I don't think the West Ham vs Man Utd game has anything to do with the original point. Nor do I think that the fact that the United defence have allowed so few shots at Van der Sar's goal lately has anything to do with it. It's a complete red herring.

The issue seems to be with overwhelming underdogs playing too defensive. Apparently, this is unrealistic because, in real life, Roma beat Cagliari 3-2 whereas in the OP's game, Roma won 3-0. Firstly, I don't agree that every match in FM has to follow real life exactly. That would just be silly. But secondly, I don't even agree that underdogs play too defensively.

APOLOGESE IT ISNT 1 SHOT A GAME IT IS 3

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8750_4861932,00.html

THIS IS RELEVANT AS HE IS WHINGING ABOUT DEFENSIVE APPROACHES AND OPPOSITION NOT GETTING SHOTS ON TARGET - WELL IT HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE LIKE MY EXAMPLE OF UNITED

no-one plays attacking football against big teams - you win by playing defensively and kicking the **** out of them, maybe if you played as a lower league team you might have to go defensive to win.

THIS IS RELEVANT AS HE IS WHINGING ABOUT DEFENSIVE APPROACHES AND OPPOSITION NOT GETTING SHOTS ON TARGET - WELL IT HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE LIKE MY EXAMPLE OF UNITED

no-one goes plays football against big teams - you win by playing defensively and kicking the **** out of them, maybe if you played as a lower league team you might have to go defensive to win.

Spot on, completely agree.

Take Bolton under Big Sam, they've been to Arsenal in the past and 'parked the team bus' in front of the goal and roughed Arsenal up and come away with a result of some sort.

Spot on, completely agree.

Take Bolton under Big Sam, they've been to Arsenal in the past and 'parked the team bus' in front of the goal and roughed Arsenal up and come away with a result of some sort.

I am not disputing that underdog teams play very defensivley IRL..duh! I know that. But in those games the teams that park the bus still push forward now and again and do create some offense. IN FM, teams that park the bus park the bus the full 90 and create nothing!

no-one plays attacking football against big teams - you win by playing defensively and kicking the **** out of them, maybe if you played as a lower league team you might have to go defensive to win.

I am not disputing that underdog teams play very defensivley IRL..duh! I know that. But in those games the teams that park the bus still push forward now and again and do create some offense. IN FM, teams that park the bus, park the bus the full 90 and create nothing! and when i say nothing i mean 0 shots attempted often times...ZERO....give me a break..

Archived