Some MLS Trade Questions

How do you ask for more than one player in a trade? Any multi-player deals that I have made are me giving up 2 or three and getting one back.

Can you offer to trade a player for an international player slot of draft pick?

Can't figure out how to do either of those things. Thanks.

I don't know about the first two questions you asked, I'm trying to find out also. :(

You can only offer a DP contract depending on the amount of DP slots you currently occupy. Anyone can be the DP but of course you would want to use it wisely. What team are you?

Colorado. Bounced from my Scottish Premier job and they were the first team to offer me a job. Some crazy rules in MLS.

I don't remember any player from Colorado on a DP contract (although I don't follow the Rapids too much, their best players Gibbs, Gomez, or Terry Cooke shouldn't be on DP contracts...)

Are you far into the future? :p

In 2016. No current player on a DP and could use the help for my roster. A bunch of international contracts are expiring and I have an interenational slot too. Thought I could overpay someone on a DP, but can't figure out how to even offer it.

Colorado traded their DP slot to D.C. United for 2008 (and possibly 2009) in return for Gomez.

He's in 2016 though. :p

And I'm sure he still has his DP slot, since he doesn't know how to trade it.

There should be a Contract Type option as 'Designated Player' if I'm not mistaken.

Drat, you posted before I did. When you try to re-sign a player, what options do they give you for squad status? Key member and below are all subject to the max, but there should be one above Key Member that automatically changes the max amount you can offer. Also, when looking at the player screen, click on "offer to clubs" and see what comes up...I think it's either a DP slot or an international slot.

He's in 2016 though. :p

And I'm sure he still has his DP slot, since he doesn't know how to trade it.

There should be a Contract Type option as 'Designated Player' if I'm not mistaken.

Have only been able to "activate" that option for one player (a 30 year old American DM). Do they have to meet some sort of requirement to be eligible for a DP contract?

Have only been able to "activate" that option for one player (a 30 year old American DM). Do they have to meet some sort of requirement to be eligible for a DP contract?

There really isn't any sort of 'requirement' for a DP contract. The club can use it on anyone. Of course, there's no point wasting a DP contract on someone you can get for the league maximum of around US$350k a year. Have you tried using it on unattached players to see if the DP option is available?

Drat, you posted before I did. When you try to re-sign a player, what options do they give you for squad status? Key member and below are all subject to the max, but there should be one above Key Member that automatically changes the max amount you can offer. Also, when looking at the player screen, click on "offer to clubs" and see what comes up...I think it's either a DP slot or an international slot.

Doesn't give me any options above Key. Maybe they have traded it. I've only been on the job for about six months. Any idea where to look to find out?

When I click "offer to clubs" it asks for a DP slot.

There really isn't any sort of 'requirement' for a DP contract. The club can use it on anyone. Of course, there's no point wasting a DP contract on someone you can get for the league maximum of around US$350k a year. Have you tried using it on unattached players to see if the DP option is available?

Just tried it on an unattached player. DP not available. It clearly stated on the "Contract Offer" page that I have 1 DP slot available and am currently at 0.

Like I said above, one player had it available. He just signed with someone, so that isn't an option.

I'm looking at my San Jose game, and I can't offer it to any of my players, though it says I don't have a DP on the squad screen.

Okay, in an earlier game I made an offer for Dodo, and he asked for $600,000. Under "contract type" it was changed to DP, so I assume this only comes into effect when a player is asking for more than the cap normally allows, though I can't choose DP when I try to re-sign a player.

Just tried it on an unattached player. DP not available. It clearly stated on the "Contract Offer" page that I have 1 DP slot available and am currently at 0.

Like I said above, one player had it available. He just signed with someone, so that isn't an option.

Probably a bug then...if you have a DP slot available but you can't use it. I think you should post in the bugs forum with a screenshot that shows you have a DP slot but you somehow can't offer it to a player.

I'll have a look in my TFC game to see if I can offer DP contracts...

Alright, I think the key here is that it's the board that determines whether or not you can offer the DP contract. If you look at any contract screen, it mentions how much the board is willing to offer, so obviously they aren't going to let you go over. Most of the time, their limit is the salary max ($375,000) so they obviously expect a DP to have a high rep or something...

Ok, I got a look into my TFC game, and you can only offer DP contracts to player who ask for more than the league maximum.

Thanks.

As far as trading, no, you can't ask for more than one player, and I don't think you can ask for an international slot/draft pick, though the computer usually offers those up pretty frequently in my experience.

Thanks for this too.

Of course, it comes more naturally to looknohands and I, as naturalized North Americans. :D

Really? As I look down at my Canadian passport and look out my hotel window at the twinkling lights of a town near Boston, I find it a puzzle. It is sort of like North American sports with drafts and trades, sort of like world soccer with some transfers. I guess the most confusing part is the terminology. Allocation funds? Call them transfer funds. Discovery players? No clue.

Really? As I look down at my Canadian passport and look out my hotel window at the twinkling lights of a town near Boston, I find it a puzzle. It is sort of like North American sports with drafts and trades, sort of like world soccer with some transfers. I guess the most confusing part is the terminology. Allocation funds? Call them transfer funds. Discovery players? No clue.

TBH, I don't even know all the rules. There seems to be a new one every year. And I've only heard of discovery players this year. :o

Drafts will always be in MLS, because some people will want to go to college for a free education, and MLS salaries aren't much higher than real world jobs...unless you're a GA player right from college, the league minimum is a disgrace imo.

Drafts will always be in MLS.

I found the Draft was a lot of fun actually. The best part of the MLS, so far. As you zero in on the guy you want and hope he is still available on your turn, it is exciting. Got two guys in my Draft that are playing semi-regularly the next year, so it was useful too.

I found the Draft was a lot of fun actually. The best part of the MLS, so far. As you zero in on the guy you want and hope he is still available on your turn, it is exciting. Got two guys in my Draft that are playing semi-regularly the next year, so it was useful too.

I love drafts. Best part of every North American sport. NFL Draft as exciting as the Super Bowl. :D :D

MLS should keep the Superdraft forever...

Quick follow up. Did some checking and it is apparent that the board decides who can and can't be a DP. Found some internationals that had expiring contracts. When I went to make an offer sometimes it would default to Designated. Other times Designated was in the drop down menu. Other times not at all. It must be related to the players status as the board was eager to give the Designated tag to most Brazilians or Spaniards, unwilling to Czechs or the Angolan DM that I really want.

Cheers. Thanks for the discussion and help.

How do you ask for more than one player in a trade? Any multi-player deals that I have made are me giving up 2 or three and getting one back.

Contrary to what others have said, it is possible. But the trick is another team has to make an offer for one of your players and then you negotiate for what you want, which can include 2+ players.

In the Negotiation screen, under the Players To Exchange line select Add and then Other. Right click on a player you want and then select Exchange Player. Go back and then click Add again and repeat.

I have found the best way to get offers for your players is to transfer list them, set their squad status to Not Needed, and their asking price to $0. When an offer is made, click View Offer and negotiate.

Can you offer to trade a player for an international player slot of draft pick?

Unfortunately not, only Designated Player slots. It's pretty annoying.

Also, how do you offer a Designated Player contract? Only one guy, who I didn't want, has had it available when I approached to sign him. Is it something a player has to qualify for? And if so, how does he do it?

Others have answered this well but if you want to find someone to offer a DP contract to (as an experiment or whatever), try looking for older players based in Europe whose contracts are expiring in less than 6 months.

It is sort of like North American sports with drafts and trades, sort of like world soccer with some transfers. I guess the most confusing part is the terminology. Allocation funds? Call them transfer funds. Discovery players? No clue.

The terminology is hard, especially when it's not even totally clear in real life what some of these things are. SI "adapted" some of the rules to the game in their own way. For example, in real life allocation funds can be applied to reduce the amount of a player's salary that is counted toward the salary cap.

For me though, the toughest part is managing to keep the best squad possible with only 18 senior players, 10 Devs/SDs/GAs, and just 8/9/whatever international players.

Good luck with Colorado.

Am I the only one dreading how next year's version will play out...what with the league doing away with the reserve league and limiting the roster to 24 players? Unless SI finally implements an Injured Reserve section to the roster it's going to be sad watching the computer dump all of their good players just to fill out the roster whenever injuries happen, as happens in this year's game.

Am I the only one dreading how next year's version will play out...what with the league doing away with the reserve league and limiting the roster to 24 players? Unless SI finally implements an Injured Reserve section to the roster it's going to be sad watching the computer dump all of their good players just to fill out the roster whenever injuries happen, as happens in this year's game.

I'm not exactly "dreading" it, but it will certainly change how we manage our teams. With no reserve league it will be tough to keep everyone match fit. Also, potential prize money will be lower since teams can't enter both the CONCACAF Champions League and SuperLiga; however, this will ease the fixture congestion that has me playing 2 or 3 games a week for a few months straight.

The changes for the roster limits will be interesting. 20 senior players is almost enough for 2 full line-ups, and add in a couple of okay development players and you are ahead of where you can be in FM/WWSM 09, depth-wise.

Also on the brightside, it will give SI another year to improve how their interpretation of the MLS works.

What I'm really dreading though is if I have to start a new FM/WWSM 09 game during the 2009 MLS season. I'd be confused with all the rule changes and player movements.

Archived