Set-Piece stat improvement link to Set-Piece takers

Been meaning to post about this for a while. Ignore my ignorance if this is already in FM09 (still playing FM07).

What are peoples thoughts on some set-piece attribute increases (through training), like corners only improving if they are set as a corner taker in one of your teams (first, reserve, Under).

Example, I have a 16 year old DC (currently retraining to DRC) who as a DC already had 13 for corner taking (could happen). My point being that I currently do not have the choice to not support him in in that aspect of his development. I do however want his crossing currently 3 to improve. This I think is a flaw, as part of his potential (or training time) is now spent practising corners (which I don’t want to support).

The way I see it is, that I guess he likes taking corners. But as his manager, I will not support him in that aspect of development. He would practise that after training, in his own time (maintaining, or even increasing the value of 13). Not sure what stats would come into play for that maybe professionalism, ambition. Maybe he would even give up on that aspect of his game depending on what the situation is (same boss :D, long contract, enjoys playing at the club). Which would then make his corner stat decrease.

This is already in FM09 in a way. I think it was in FM07 as well. Players have a tendency to develop attributes evenly and this may only change under heavily biased training schedules (and even then it may not change). Also, if you take a look in the sticky training thread, Fraser already believes that match action biases attribute improvement further (which is exactly what you are asking for I think).

Especially for corner taking, this may be a "free attribute" for players anyway, so maybe it does not consume current ability points. I don't remember what the situation was in FM07 in this respect. But set pieces training has always been very light in FM (very easy to support through training, unlike eg physical training).

Yes, it is a flaw of the game that attributes are grouped together in training regimes (such as set pieces). However I doubt this will change soon, as it probably has to do with resource management limitations of the game. When attributes are grouped, there are less variables for the game to handle and store. Well, we can live in hope, I guess.

Archived