In need of help

Hi there. Hopefully some one can offer me some help.

I've been successfully playing FM for years now, and love it to the point where I can't stop. That was until the new game was released. Since then i have barely played it, and here are my two main reasons:

Defensive line.-. My assistant, no matter who it is, or who I manage, keeps telling me I have a gap between my defence and midfield and attack. I've tried everything to counter this but i simply cant without having a defensive line that pushes up, which doesn't suit my counter attacking game. I'm lost and getting beaten by teams 2 divisions below me. I like to employ a flat back four, normal defensive line, with a DM anchoring the midfield. If i play this my assitant say's there's a huge gap between DF and MF that the opposition are exploiting. Has anyone had this and found a solution? It's destroying my will to play the game.

Forward arrows.- not as major a gripe, yet as someone who likes to play 4-4-3 it is annoying me intensely that i cannot drag my wingers off of the wing to join my lone striker. I think they've really dropped the ball on this tactical change. I understand that it now links to forward runs, which makes sense, but why can a player not make a diagonal forward run!?

Anyone know how I overcome this?

Any guidance would be really helpful.

The "gap" is to do with mentality. Keep your defense and midfield (and also your MF and forwards) with 3-4 "clicks" of each other.

Wingers coming off the wings is best done with giving them creative freedom and free roles, setting their crossing to rarely, playing them on the "wrong side" (ie left footer on the right) and setting the team width to relatively narrow. Oh, and the old arrows never made you players make "diagonal forward runs" ;)

The "gap" is to do with mentality. Keep your defense and midfield (and also your MF and forwards) with 3-4 "clicks" of each other.

Wingers coming off the wings is best done with giving them creative freedom and free roles, setting their crossing to rarely, playing them on the "wrong side" (ie left footer on the right) and setting the team width to relatively narrow. Oh, and the old arrows never made you players make "diagonal forward runs" ;)

Mentality!!!! why didn't that occur to me! if that works you may be my saviour.

I always give my attacking players a very attacking mentality and have always been sucessful, I assumed it purely meant their bias towards attack an defence however if it impacts on their position on the pitch this may explain it.

Cheers for that!

p.s i meant a winger with a forwrd arrow that bends inside alongside the striker. I think thats kind of diagonal movement? now you can only push them forward to the byline.

Mentality!!!! why didn't that occur to me! if that works you may be my saviour.

I always give my attacking players a very attacking mentality and have always been sucessful, I assumed it purely meant their bias towards attack an defence however if it impacts on their position on the pitch this may explain it.

Cheers for that!

Yeah, mentality affects positioning and "attitude", particularly passing. Though you can make tactics with extremes in both ways, it's generally best to keep all the players reasonably close - maybe 8-10 clicks from your lowest to highest. The team will generally play better as a unit then.

p.s i meant a winger with a forwrd arrow that bends inside alongside the striker. I think thats kind of diagonal movement? now you can only push them forward to the byline.

Oh, I know what you mean, and I'm not denying that it would be useful to have more lateral control, I was just saying that the old arrows didn't work like that in terms of forward runs. ;)

Yeah, mentality affects positioning and "attitude", particularly passing. Though you can make tactics with extremes in both ways, it's generally best to keep all the players reasonably close - maybe 8-10 clicks from your lowest to highest. The team will generally play better as a unit then.

Oh, I know what you mean, and I'm not denying that it would be useful to have more lateral control, I was just saying that the old arrows didn't work like that in terms of forward runs. ;)

Some people are having success with wingers cutting in by increasing creative freedom. Having crosses to rare and PPM of likes to get into box also help

Archived