Fan-ager

ryan_sacfc

The following events are factual, real life occurrences (in Football Manager, anyway) and were only documented after a life threatening injury to the author (also known as a graphics failure). This is my first FM story, so hope you enjoy…

My Advertisement

There was a familiar thud as the post slipped through the letter box and onto the doormat. I put my morning coffee onto the kitchen table and wearily got up. Checking my watch I realised that it was early for the postman to come. I tightened my dressing gown belt and saw that it was actually not the post that had come, but the local paper. The paper boy must have been up early, I thought as I bent down to pick up the paper.

I took it back into the kitchen and sat back down at the table. I enjoyed reading the paper, but only for the back page. The season was to begin again next week, and I wanted to read the manager’s opinions and transfer news. I flipped the paper onto its back and the headline stared back at me.

CRISIS HITS AS MANAGER RESIGNS

The news hit me like a punch in the face. Our manager, who had kept us in the division last season, had left for a better job. Fair enough, the job was significantly better than the one he occupied currently, but he was a traitor. To rub salt into the wound, he had left with no warning and no replacement lined up.

There was a quote from the chairman: “It sure was a disappointment to see him go, but the worst thing is we have no back up plan. The season starts in three weeks and there’s no one who wants the job. The club scraped through last season and to other managers it seems like a job with no hope of succeeding. We may face the fatal problem of starting the new season with no manager. This would only lead to us losing players and then worse. Our club is now in crisis – we need a saviour.”

And, sure enough, there was a job interview. Entitled simply “Football Manager,” before going on to a job description. “The interviewee must be passionate and enthusiastic. No previous management experience needed, although knowledge of club and squad will help.” A phone number followed at the bottom of the page.

I stared down at the page and realised something incredible. I was all those things! Passionate? I love the club. Enthusiastic? Watching y club succeed is a dream! And I had knowledge of the club, how could I not, being their number one fan?! This was an opportunity not to be missed…

• 4 weeks later...

APOLOGIES

for the discontinued post

my computer is really bad, so FM runs undescribably (is that a word) slowly

i am getting a new pc on thursday, with a top graphics card and a massive hard drive and loads of RAM (4GB go me) and so will continue with this when the gameplay can keep up with the story

sorry for this waste of a thread, please delete it until I repost it with the same name next week

cheers

Archived