Need Help Getting the Best out of My Team

Hi all,

As the title says, I need some help getting the best out of my team. I'm managing QPR and I'm in Jan 2029 now, second in the league. I won the league a couple of seasons ago, a bit unconvincingly, and then the team collapsed despite making personnel improvements and I came 3rd the next season. I had to change tactic to rescue that too.

I wouldn't say I'm struggling exactly, but I've definitely got a team that should be winning the league and although I'm up there it's harder than it should be. I've been away from FM for a bit, so I think I'm missing a few things and would like some tips on improving my tactic and making better use of the stars I've got.

You can see the tactic below, and I'll also pop up some screenshots of the first team. (Noticed that there's someone in the forums with the same name as one of my star players by the way...Jordan Millward)

If anyone fancies having a mess around with the save file, it's here, hope Mega links are okay. (Got loads of youth prospects that I've poached, so it's quite a fun time in the game!)

Appreciate any help you guys can give me!

20200709142831_1.jpg

Edited by j000e

7 hours ago, j000e said:

20200709142831_1.jpg

Here is the list of what I see as the biggest issues in your tactic:

- as many as 3 playmakers, and all in the closest possible vicinity at that (DLP, AP & TQ)

- needlessly aggressive defensive instructions, which not only increase defensive vulnerability but also deny space to your forwards

- focus play through the middle and narrow width basically mean you are trying to attack through the area where opposition defenses are most crowded

- the combination of short pass + low tempo + PoD + WBiB slows your attacking play too much and thus allows the opposition enough time to consolidate and get back into their defensive shape

3 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Here is the list of what I see as the biggest issues in your tactic:

- as many as 3 playmakers, and all in the closest possible vicinity at that (DLP, AP & TQ)

- needlessly aggressive defensive instructions, which not only increase defensive vulnerability but also deny space to your forwards

- focus play through the middle and narrow width basically mean you are trying to attack through the area where opposition defenses are most crowded

- the combination of short pass + low tempo + PoD + WBiB slows your attacking play too much and thus allows the opposition enough time to consolidate and get back into their defensive shape

Cheers for replying!

- Noted about the Playmakers. I think I'll change the AP to a Mezzala(S)? That should hopefully link up well with the winger.
- The needlessly aggressive instructions - just the get stuck in, or the pressing too? I was hoping to use the pressing to win the ball higher up the pitch, but I guess that doesn't really gel with the tempo I'm playing! 
- With the width and focusing the play through the middle, I wanted to create triangles and pass through/around the opposition. I did try a wider style, but the midfielders often lacked support (maybe because of the roles, tempo or short passing I'm using? Not great at understanding the mechanics of the game, apologies)
- I didn't know that about the TIs! Will take off the PoD + WBiB and see how that affects my play.

Appreciate it, thanks.

1 hour ago, j000e said:

I think I'll change the AP to a Mezzala(S)? That should hopefully link up well with the winger

Yes, but at the same time can be defensively risky in a system like 4231. But from a purely attacking viewpoint, a mezzala on support and winger on attack are basically a good combo. Not sure how the mezzala and TQ will combine together being so close though, because both roles are very mobile and creative. 

1 hour ago, j000e said:

The needlessly aggressive instructions - just the get stuck in, or the pressing too?

There is no fixed rule, because it varies from team to team and from tactic to tactic. Best to tweak gradually. First remove get stuck in and see what happens. Then reduce pressing a notch as well if needed. 

1 hour ago, j000e said:

I was hoping to use the pressing to win the ball higher up the pitch, but I guess that doesn't really gel with the tempo I'm playing!

Yes. That's more likely to work with fast attacking styles (like Liverpool under Klopp for example). 

1 hour ago, j000e said:

I didn't know that about the TIs! Will take off the PoD + WBiB and see how that affects my play

I would rather up the tempo to default instead. You don't need to make too many changes/tweaks at once. Do it step by step, because otherwise you'll hardly be able to figure out what works or makes sense for your tactic and your team specifically.