4-2-3-1 with CDMs and LM/RM

So I’m trying to create a balanced tactic with the ability to control the play when needed but also be clinical and decisive when there’s a counter on I have so far just done the positions and roles in my head they make sense but having trouble this FM so any help would be appreciated.

where I tend to get lost is the team and player instructions and end up just selecting and deselecting things without really thinking them through or knowing how they are affecting my team

A090F6C8-FB95-4E08-8B58-202509CB0143.jpeg

The best idea is to start with no instructions at all (because the instructions are already set by the mentality you play on as well as your roles and duties). Then watch the match carefully and add instructions gradually - but only if/when necessary - until you are pleased with what you see. Try not to use (too) many instructions anyway, because the best tactics are usually pretty simple. When you create a good, logical and well-balanced setup of roles and duties, you need very few (if any) instructions that should more closely define your intended style of play. 

Your setup of roles and duties looks decent overall, except for the CWB on the left. A WB or FB on attack duty would make more sense IMHO. 

Also keep in mind that your formation (4221wide) is a bottom-heavy one, which means it's generally more suited to defensive/counter-attacking styles than control/possession-oriented ones. Of course, you can play any style of football within (almost) any formation, but some formations are inherently more suitable for certain styles than the others. 

If you have any further questions, you're welcome :thup: