Advice On Building A Vertical-Taka Tactic With Sevilla

Hi Everyone

Im trying to build a vertical-taka approach with Sevilla at the moment.

I like the balance of Sevilla's squad and feel I can do something with them. I dont tend to use the vertical-taka approach but looking at the squad, i thought it might be an approach that would suit the players.

Just looking for opinions on this tactic. Started the game earlier tonight, just signed the one player, Malcuit on loan from Napoli for cover in the right back position, and ive done my pre season and first 6 league games and a Europa game.

So far, results are good. Not paying too much attention to that though, I usually have a honeymoon phase at every club:

279563112_ScreenShot2019-12-05at23_48_28.thumb.png.85b4bf21801b126971dc4f87b1c4cc2b.png2049037730_ScreenShot2019-12-05at23_48_19.thumb.png.c7dd4edf29093e735ca7637abdaee941.png

The tactic im going with right now is this one, and wanted to explain why id chosen these roles and to gain opinions on whether theyre likely to work in the long term:

1770661049_ScreenShot2019-12-05at23_47_49.thumb.png.c6d0baaa6e140ef403cc243d5c08eab7.png

• Playing two false 9s up front together is a bit unusual, ive not seen anyone else do this. But i tried it out with Racing Club in Argentina recently and i liked the movement it created as part of a front 3.

What i like about using the two false 9s, is that it seems like they (particularly Dabbur) get into the space between the left and right of the penalty spot between 6 and 8 yard lines, and these are for me POMO positions on FM. So my idea is to have these players always available for either a cut back, or square pass, and this is going well. The mezzala also joins up slightly more centrally and provides goals from the edge of the area. Really happy with this.

• In terms of the balance of the midfield 3, there is no "holding" player. Ive decided to do this through choice though. The mezzala and BBM are designed to aid with the high press and both have PI's to get further forward and to close down more.

This seems to give the player in the DM position, currently Gudelj, more freedom to orchestrate the play and aids our ability to counter attack. I wanted to play out from the back with this tactic so i felt like having a deep lying playmaker was a necessity

• Ive gone for aggressive wing backs. Jesus Navas uses great pace to get to the byline looking for cut backs. I think the inverted wingback role works well for Reguillon considering he can go on the outside AND inside down the left and link with Dabbur who has a PPM to drop deeper than Munir.

• There is a LOT of team instructions going on, but i think they work together well. Ive been noticing that without the passing set to very short, too many long crossfield passes are attempted, and this was spoling my attempts to move the ball vertically with good tempo. Defensively, ive gone very aggressive with the defensive strategy. High press, high line of engagement. I intend to use the high press to suffocate the opposition and use our high levels of stamina and work rate to defend from the front.

I tend to use a press of using the false nines to press the left and right backs to stop their advances, and then use the poacher to funnel possession towards the oppositions weakest centre back in the hope of retrieving the ball. The offside trap has, so far worked well.

To support the team instructions, i have the front 3, the central midfield 2, and wing backs all closing down more.

• In addition to this, im thinking of training PPM's in the central midfield 3 to "attempt one twos" to aid the vertical taka approach, and i think it would also help to have Munir learn a PPM to "drop deeper" to allow him to contribute more to the build up.

Just wondered what people thought about this tactic so far and are there any obvious weaknesses that can be improved?

Thank You

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 23.47.36.png

Edited by FMunderachiever
pic not needed

Hi

How has the tactic worked so far? I startede a game with Sevilla but played more with 4321 because of rony lopes, Ocampos and Nolito. Often think the striker are left to much alone so find your tactic interesting.

Also how is the defence working, often find the offside trap not working so sometimes change on of the centerback to cover or stoppe funcion

1 hour ago, Renedinho said:

Hi

How has the tactic worked so far? I startede a game with Sevilla but played more with 4321 because of rony lopes, Ocampos and Nolito. Often think the striker are left to much alone so find your tactic interesting.

Also how is the defence working, often find the offside trap not working so sometimes change on of the centerback to cover or stoppe funcion

Works really nicely in terms of scoring goals, defensively we can be a bit shaky if the opposition plays through the press, but I find false 9s perfectly pick up those little pockets of space in the box to find shots. I describe them as the position of maximum opportunity POMO as I see a lot of goals being scored from the edge of the area and from cutbacks on this version, less from the through ball