How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

16th of May 2004

Primera Liga – Game 37: Elche v Cartagonova

With just two games left, a victory in this one would go a long way towards securing fourth place in our first season in the Primera Liga. So, of course, we go and concede the first goal on 21 minutes as Nano picks up the pieces from Filipescu’s desperate tackle on Guede and slams the shot past Vidal before the keeper can react. Morán almost hits back immediately only to see Mora push aside his shot. After a roasting at half-time, switching to 4-3-3 produces some results as Gabrich’s flick-on is picked up by Collymore and the Englishman rescues a point in a disappointing result.

Elche (4-2-4): Mora; Manusovich, Hélder, Sarasúa, José Manuel (Almqvist 51); Solaun (Isach 73), Martens; Grønkjær, Nano, Guede ©, Toñito.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; O’Neill (Michel 57), Rufete; Morán (Gabrich 57); Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Elche 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM – Nano

19th of May 2004

Despite defeating Barcelona 2-1 in Vigo, Celta Vigo cannot do enough to overturn the 3-0 deficit from the first leg in the other semi-final of the Copa del Rey. So our opponent in the final to be played at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium in ten days will be Barcelona. We lose the coin-flip and therefore will be considered the nominal away side for the fixture.

21st of May 2004

Espanyol’s manager believes that since in recent fixtures I have preferred Keith O’Neill to Michel, I must be losing faith in the winger’s ability to turn it on for the club. Therefore, he decides to offer me £3.1 million for the former Rayo player. I have to admit that the money is tempting, but I’m not really interested in selling the player. So I inform my counterpart Ramón Díaz that he can’t do a deal for this type of money. The player, of course, is unhappy that I have decided to turn down the offer.

In the Friday evening match, Barcelona defeats Celta Vigo 2-1 to make the situation for us in capturing fourth spot more simple. As you can see, we are two points clear of Sporting Gijón and the final opponent of the season, Valencia, while we enjoy a three point break back to Celta. So, a point should be sufficient to secure fourth place and a berth in the lucrative Champions’ League.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22nd of May 2004

Fernando Couto is called up to the Portugueuse squad for the European Championships to start in a fortnight.

23rd of May 2004

Primera Liga – Game 38: Cartagonova v Valencia

The last game of the season sees us chasing at least a point to secure fourth spot and a tilt at the Champions’ League next season – not bad going for a club only founded about ten years ago! icon_smile.gif It’s also the final opportunity the local fans will have to cheer on Stan Collymore who will bow out of league competition for Cartagonova after today. He probably has the Copa del Rey to come, but it is his swansong in front of his fans. Also participating in his final game of the season is Fernando Couto, who is suspended for the Copa del Rey final next Saturday. Valencia also has plenty to play for, because a victory here and results going right in the other fixtures involving Celta Vigo and Sporting Gijón could mean the club, under Guus Hiddink, scraping into the competition it was runners-up in twice a few seasons ago. So it should be a cracking encounter.

Valencia makes the early running with Angulo looking particularly dangerous making runs from midfield. I instruct Couto to pick up the Spanish international and now that he receives the loving attention from the big Portuguese international, things start swinging in our way. Particularly when Redondo and Morán force a fine double save out of Cañizares who has something to prove after being left out of Spain’s squad for Euro 2004. Ãlvarez picks out the keeper’s clearance and sends it back in for Collymore, but our joyous celebrations are cut short by the linesman’s flag. It is doubly cruel when five minutes later, Ãlvarez gives away a free kick for a foul on Hugo Leal and Argentine master blaster, Martín Palermo steps up to fire home the goal. icon_mad.gif But Couto fights back for us on the 30 minute mark when he picks up Redondo’s pass to blast it past Cañizares! icon_biggrin.gif Almost ten minutes later, Collymore marks his farewell with a goal to give us the 2-1 lead, capitalising on Michel’s low cross.

But almost immediately after the break, Valencia draws level when Hugo Leal dances his way through our defence, picks up Carew’s pass and thunders it beneath the advancing Iván Vidal. icon_frown.gif The defence is busy for the next fifteen or twenty minutes as Valencia’s forwards try to go berserk. Still, Vidal holds firm against the barrage and we gradually assert territorial domination on our opponent. It pays off when substitute Iván Gabrich fires the pass out to Rufete and the winger rams home his tenth goal of the season! But we fail to competently marshal Hugo Leal and the little Portuguese finds enough time and space to equalise from Marcelo Gallardo’s cross. icon_frown.gif Still, a point should be enough and after quickly shaking the hand of Guus Hiddink and completing my press obligations, I dash into my office to find out the final standings for the season…

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Heinze, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán (Gabrich 62); Redondo, Collymore.

Valencia (3-5-2): Cañizares; Björklund (Onopko 59), Mendieta ©, Mellberg; Stankovic, Juric, Hugo Leal, Gallardo, Angulo (Arellano 59); Palermo, Carew.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:3 Valencia

MoM – Hugo Leal

I sigh with relief – the point was enough, as we finish fourth on goal difference ahead of Celta Vigo and Sporting Gijón! The Champions’ League is coming to Cartagena next season! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

So, the final standings see Real Madrid confirmed as the champion of the Primera Liga for the twenty-eighth time in its distinguished history (the first time since 1997, incidentally). Real Madrid finished two points clear of Barcelona, who overtook Deportivo in the final stages. Hence, Real Madrid gained the ultimate revenge for the demolition job Barcelona perpetrated during the season. At the other end of the table, Extremadura, Vallodolid and Tenerife finished 18th, 19th and 20th respectively and are therefore relegated.

Around the leagues

In England, Chelsea finished four points clear of Arsenal at the top of the ladder, while Ipswich finished two points further back. Manchester United finished ninth as the unravelling of the empire Sir Alex Ferguson continues unabated – Ryan Giggs will join Arsenal in the summer and the exciting young Mads Timm will go to Fiorentina. Crystal Palace, Leeds and Portsmouth will play in the Nationwide League next season, but joining the top flight are Liverpool and Watford, and the winner of the final between Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday.

The Italian Scudetto was won a long time ago by Fiorentina, who ended the season an impressive twelve points clear of Roma. AC Milan under Oscar Ruggeri ended the season four points behind Roma and Parma was three points further back. Lazio finished ninth – a result that cost Sven-Göran Eriksson, who was replaced by Frank Rijkaard for the last few weeks of the season. Juventus finished sixth and Inter Milan seventh. Relegated are Atalanta, Napoli, Piacenza and Sampdoria. Coming into Serie A are Udinese (as champion), Lecce, Empoli and Vicenza.

An exciting finish marked the conclusion of the Portuguese Premier League, with Porto grabbing the championship by a point from Marítimo. Relegated are Beira-Mar, Braga and Gil Vicente. Sporting finished a worrying 14th, while Benfica fared somewhat better, ending the campaign in fourth.

26th of May 2004

In a result that sends shivers down my spine as I saw the final score on the TV I was watching this evening, Barcelona obliterated Ajax 4-1 in the Champions’ League final played in Copenhagen’s Parken stadium. Almost before the crowd could blink, Alfonso had the Spaniards on the board (well, it was after 4 minutes!), and then in a cracking phase lasting three minutes, Barcelona went 3-0 to the good with goals to Patrick Kluivert and Josep Guardiola. Michael Mols gave the Dutch a faint hope, pulling a goal back on 31 minutes, but Rivaldo wrapped up proceedings on 86 minutes.

And I have to find a way to beat these guys on Saturday! icon_frown.gif

29th of May 2004

Copa del Rey – Final: Barcelona v Cartagonova

“…Welcome to the Santiago Bernabéu stadium this fine, warm Saturday afternoon, as Barcelona and Cartagonova gear up for the final of the Spanish Cup of Kings, the Copa del Rey. We can tell you right now that both sides will be far from full strength. Barcelona will miss Patrick Kluivert, Michael Reiziger (both with Holland preparing for Euro 2004), Gerard, Xavi and Abelardo, all with varying injuries. Iván de la Peña is doubtful and will be likely to start the match on the bench. Cartagonova will miss its captain, Fernando Couto, who is with the Portuguese squad but would have missed through suspension anyway, and Keith O’Neill, who is with the Irish squad. Iván Vidal is set to be given the captain’s arm-band in the absence of Couto. It is also the final match of his Cartagonova career for Stan Collymore and I’m sure that the Englishman would love to mark his exit with a virtuoso performance. After the break, we take a look at how both teams reached the final…â€

“…Welcome back to our live coverage of the Copa del Rey final, here on Sky Sports 3. Kick-off is in about an hour and before we cross to the commentators, Ian Helm and Andy Gray, we briefly reprise how both clubs reached today’s final, starting with Barcelona. Barcelona’s campaign in the Copa del Rey began with a tight, hard-fought 2-1 victory over perennial rival, Real Madrid. Rivaldo set the Catalans on their way on 28 minutes, but Raúl equalised just moments later. Massimo Donati scored the winner just a couple of minutes before half-time. Barcelona drew Rayo Vallecano in the third round and needed to fight back in the second leg after Rayo defeated them 2-1 in Madrid. Aldrich opened the scoring for the home side on 17 minutes, but Alfonso’s equaliser seemed enough, until Bolo put Rayo back in front on 45 minutes. Alfonso’s goal proved decisive when in the return leg at the Nou Camp, Barcelona needed de la Peña’s first half penalty to move through on away goals. It drew Compostela in the quarter-finals and the Segunda Liga club proved no match for Barcelona, as they defeated Compostela 1-0 and 2-0 over two legs. The semi-final pitted Barcelona against Celta Vigo and a 3-0 victory at home in the first leg – goals to Thuram and Kluivert (two) – was enough to assure passage to the final today, despite Celta’s fight-back in the second leg to win that 2-1.â€

“Cartagonova’s campaign began in the first round with a visit to Toledo. Most pundits thought that the Primera Liga debutant would be too good for Toledo, but a dramatic second half eventually saw Cartagonova prevail 4-2 over their opponents. If that was nervewrecking for their supporters, Cartagonova was drawn against Valencia at Cartagena on New Year’s Eve. In an epic battle, Rufete’s extra-time goal proved decisive as Cartagonova ran out 3-2. Juan Sánchez put Valencia ahead on 32 minutes and Cartagonova needed Gabrich’s equaliser on 69 minutes to put some spice into the contest. John Carew scored to give Valencia the lead on 78 minutes, but Redondo’s equaliser forced the game into extra-time where Rufete made a name for himself with the Cartagonova fans. A week later, Cartagonova faced Extremadura in the third round. Roberto Sosa scored a quick brace to put Cartagonova up 2-0, but David Karanka gave Extramadura hope with a goal on 20 minutes. Marcelo Moya extended Cartagonova’s lead to 3-1, but Karanka pulled that back to 3-2 with a last-minute goal to set up an interesting return leg. In that game, Koldo Arce scored early to put Extramadura 1-0 up and give them the opportunity to advance, but Fernando Morán’s second half equaliser was enough for Cartagonova. In the quarter-finals, Cartagonova faced Real Oviedo and a goalless stalemate in the first leg opened up the contest in the second. But a great performance from Cartagonova in the second leg saw them through into the semi-finals 3-0 on the night and on aggregate. In the semi-finals, Sporting Gijón took a 1-0 lead on the first leg thanks to Francisco Farinós’ second half goal, but a spectacular performance in the second leg allowed Cartagonova to advance 4-2 on aggregate. Two goals in each half to Morán, Collymore, Ãlvarez and Filipescu put Cartagonova into today’s final… We now take you to your match commentators, Andy Gray and first Ian Helm…â€

As I introduce my players to His Royal Highness, King Phillip II, I glance around the stadium and notice the several thousands of supporters who had managed, by hook and by crook, to snaffle up some tickets for today’s game, the most important in our club’s short history. I walk off the field of play slowly, determined to soak up every moment of atmosphere – the drums pound in the upper decks, rockets shoot up into the sky and the crowd is roaring. Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer taps me on the shoulder and offers me his hand. We shake and then I take my place in the dug-out. The band strikes up the Spanish national anthem and the Spaniards in both sides place their hands on their hearts and sing lustily. It is quickly over and the teams exchange handshakes. The referee calls over the two captains and we take the coin flip. We’re almost underway.

Rivaldo looks very likely, prompting and pulling the strings from midfield, so I arrange for Ballesteros to give him very special attention. But we escape by the skin of our teeth when Vidal brings down Luis Enrique inside the area. On another day, he would have been off and we would already be 1-0 down on 8 minutes, but the referee ignores the loud claims from the Barcelona players and we continue. Redondo sends a header just wide on 16 minutes after good work from Rufete down the right and almost goes one better when Ballesteros feeds him. Unfortunately, Antonio Prats can get across in time to push aside his shot.

A minute before half-time, Rivaldo manages to slip Ballesteros and he takes Nano’s cross and puts it beneath Vidal. He begins to celebrate, but the referee pulls him up and points to the linesman’s flag. The Barcelona section of the stadium is booing, but I’m happy to take that charity. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last – just moments before the half-time whistle is blown, Donati motors his way through our defence before hitting a powerful shot low beneath Vidal. icon_mad.gif Yet, a poor corner from Guardiola in injury time is the launching pad for a sweeping counter-attack that puts the ball ahead of Michel. The winger skips past Pablo Paz before placing the ball in the path of Collymore. The Englishman thunders a header into the top corner, well away from the finger-tips of Prats! What a way to end the first half!

A team talk designed to motivate the players to come out firing on all cylinders in the second half culminates in me telling Ballesteros that he has no further part to play – he was mistiming his tackles all the way through the first half and since he was already on a card, I don’t want him dismissed in the second. Pablo Box is given the nod to man-mark Rivaldo. Three minutes into the second half, Paz knocks Redondo over inside the box. I hold my breath. So does the entire stadium. Up steps Collymore… and slams it home! icon_biggrin.gif I pinch myself – 2-1 to the good against Barcelona, the champion of Europe! But it gets better. Box’s raking pass is nodded down by Redondo to the advantage of Collymore and the Englishman doesn’t hesitate. Bang. It’s 3-1 to our advantage! And it’s a four minute hat-trick to Collymore (although separated by half-time).

On 56 minutes, Filipescu’s free kick lifts over the bar and it’s like a switch is thrown in the head of each Barcelona player. They begin the rampage and nine minutes later, Luis Enrique pulls the score back to 3-2 with a great goal that has the Barcelona fans whistling in appreciation. Four minutes later, we gift Verón too much time and space on the ball and he punishes us with a thirty yard goal. icon_mad.gif Just like that, our lead has evaporated. Guardiola blows his top on 80 minutes and gets himself sent off, but my players can’t take advantage of the extra man and the match enters extra-time. It’s all Barcelona but as the time ticks by we seemingly inch towards a penalty shoot-out. That is until we concede a corner in the 111th minute of play. My tired defenders once again try to pick up their opponents, but Verón manages to break free from Esnáider just long enough to meet Sergi’s cross with an exquisite header. It proves to be the winner and the referee blows three long blasts on his whistle to bring the curtain down on a tremendous match and a great season of football.

The Barcelona players are understandably delighted with the result – perhaps the domestic trophy doesn’t hold that much delight for them normally but such was the match that they can’t help but celebrate. I, my assistants and the substitutes join the gutted players on the pitch and I personally congratulate each player on their contribution. icon_frown.gif Still, it doesn’t make up for seeing Lilian Thuram lifting the Copa del Rey trophy above his head. I vow that we will be back, sooner or later, to claim the trophy for ourselves. At least Stan Collymore gets to keep the match ball in his final game for the club.

Barcelona (3-5-2): Prats; De Boer, Pablo Paz (Verón 50), Thuram; Sergi, Rivaldo, Guardiola ©, Donati, Varela; Nano (de la Peña 80), Luis Enrique (Alfonso 118).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Heinze, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Lacruz; Ballesteros (Box 46); Michel, Rufete; Morán (Esnáider 106); Redondo, Collymore.

Final score (aet): Barcelona 4:3 Cartagonova

MoM – Stan Collymore

And so there it is. The first season in the top flight, culminating in an appearance in the Copa del Rey, is finally concluded. It’s been a tough time, but I think we’ve done quite well. And it’s now time to take a look at the club’s squad to assess how each individual performed and make predictions on who might be here this time next season…

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (ESP, 25 y/o): 35 apps, 44 conceded, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.20: An injury interrupted season meant that my first choice keeper didn’t participate in all the games, but I think he adjusted very well to the pressures of top flight football. I even made him the club’s vice-captain and he will be line to take on the arm-band when Couto retires. His career has certainly taken off since he came three seasons ago for just £70,000. Probably unlikely to make the Spanish squad in his career, but he certainly has a long way to travel with us and he will only improve. Interestingly, Verón’s second goal of the Copa del Rey final was the one-hundredth conceded goal of his career. Not a landmark he’d like to remember, I’m sure.

Francesc Arnau (ESP, 29 y/o): 12 apps, 11 conceded, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 7.25: A perfect deputy for Vidal and whenever the young keeper was injured, he stepped into the breach and did a good job. Unlikely to displace Vidal next season, but he will remain first in line to take his place.

Joaquín Moso (25 y/o, ESP): 0(2) apps, 1 conceded, av. rate: 7.00: Twice filled in for Vidal in the second halves when the first choice keeper injured himself. Did a good job when called upon but he is definitely the third choice at the club. Seems not unhappy about that yet, though, and he has time to improve his chances with some hard training.

Defenders

Iulian Filipescu (30 y/o, ROM 36 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 37(1) apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, av. rate: 6.92: Started very well at the beginning of the season as he pretty much held the defence together while the rest of the back four grew into their roles. But at the season progressed, he grew inconsistent. Still, he was one of the better defenders at the club and formed quite a good partnership with Óscar Ãlvarez. I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of him any time soon, although he does enjoy one of the larger wage packets at the club currently.

Ballesteros (28 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC): 44 apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rate: 6.95: Another useful and dependable defender, although a poor match in the Copa del Rey dragged down his performance slightly. Definitely made the right-back role his own during the season, despite some competition from Moya and Tetteh. I again think that the Rayo manager made a mistake in letting him go, but I’m not complaining! He professes to enjoy playing for Cartagonova, and I’m happy to have him here, so I guess we’re all happy!

Marcelo Moya (25 y/o, ARG, D RLC): 17(5) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.91: Began his career with Cartagonova well, but a series of poor performances culminated in me dishing out an official warning and dropping him for just about the remainder of the season. He has taken umbrage over this treatment and wants to leave the club, but I think that given time, he will get over it and mature into a good defender for the club. As I feared, his lack of pace was exposed on many occasions and if he wants to become a good defender he will have to learn to cope with that deficiency. But I would have to say that so far he has been worth the investment of £400,000.

Pablo Casar (25 y/o, ESP, D RC): 0 apps: Likely to be sold next season and never appeared for the club in this.

Stephen Tetteh (24 y/o, GHA 11 caps, D R): 4 apps, av. rate: 7.00: Did a competent job with his limited opportunities and managed to add a couple of caps to his collection. But two things stand in his way to commanding a regular spot in the line-up – his non-EU nationality and Ballesteros. If he can get through those obstacles, he will be a good squad member.

José Ramón Dacosta (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM L): 0(2) apps, av. rate: 6.00: Didn’t impress and unlikely to stay very long.

Gabriel Iván Heinze (26 y/o, ARG, D LC): 5(1) apps, av. rate: 6.83: Nothing more than an average squad player, but at least he has an Italian passport so he doesn’t take up a non-EU slot. Will probably play the same role next season.

Ismael (28 y/o, ESP, D LC): 5(2) apps, av. rate: 6.14: I’m really surprised by how Ismael played this season. He had done really well last season and I thought he would be capable of adding a lot to our defence in this one, but he played so poorly and was responsible for too many goals to be really considered for many more games than he actually played. Likely to move on next season, because I don’t want to risk the same thing happening again.

Mariano Fernández (25 y/o, ARG, D C): 2 apps, av. rate: 7.00: Not much to say about him but I think I will hang onto the competent Argentine defender for a while yet.

Luis Prieto (25 y/o, ESP, D C): 1 app, av. rate: 8.00: Spent half the season on loan to a second division B club and he will be unlikely to stay much longer at my club. He just doesn’t quite have the attributes necessary to remain at the club with better defenders ahead of him.

Javier Margas (35 y/o, CHI 98 caps, 6 goals, D C): 1 app, av. rate: 7.00: Leaving at the end of the season and I don’t really care.

Óscar Ãlvarez (26 y/o, ESP, D C): 40 apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM: With Filipescu he formed a good partnership and when the Romanian wasn’t there beside him he looked a little lost trying to guide the other defenders through the match. Also racked up an impressive disciplinary record – 14 yellow cards and 2 red cards – but made enough tackles per game (4.1 tackles/game) to be a good defender for my club. He will be in my plans for next season, no doubt about it. I promised to play Ourense £750,000 if he plays thirty internationals for Spain, but I don’t think I’ll be doing that. He isn’t of that class, but he is a good club defender and I’m quite glad to have him. If we can tone down his poor discipline, I’ll be even happier.

Pedro Alberto (34 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 0 apps: On the list the whole season. If I don’t get any nibbles from other clubs next season, I’ll cut him loose.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Wrapping up the first season in the Primera Liga

Midfielders

Fernando Manuel Couto (34 y/o, POR 76 caps, 7 caps, D/DM C): 36 apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 6.97: An impressive first season back in the Primera Liga, he captained the club with honour and leadership. Now completely settled at the club, I will continue to defy my board in that he will continue to play on next season. He regained his place in the Portuguese national squad and with some luck he will appear for his country in the upcoming Euro 2004. Not only that, he also scored his first goals for the club this season, including some memorable goals against Barcelona. He may be getting on in years, but he is still good value to the club.

Ãlex Fernández (30 y/o, ESP, DM C): 3 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rate: 7.67: After I discovered the joys of Fernando Couto at centre midfield, I haven’t had much need to play Ãlex in that position. As a result, he thought he had no future at the club and decided to negotiate a deal with Córdoba. So, he played just three times – all in the Copa del Rey’s early rounds – and once he made his mind up, he never figured in my plans again. Callous, hey! icon_smile.gif

Francisco Ãlvarez (18 y/o, ESP, DM C): 0 apps: A product of Cartagonova’s youth system, I signed him to a professional contract early in the season. Has made encouraging progress under the guidance of the coaches and has won a regular spot in Spain’s U-21 side. Now being tracked by Villarreal, but I like the look of him. Still needs to expand physically if he wants to make it as a player at Cartagonova, though. He is very weak and can’t jump over a puddle yet, but we’re working on those deficiencies.

Ismael Ruiz (26 y/o, ESP, DM C): 1(2) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.33: Dropped to third in the pecking order of the anchor midfieldsmen after the re-invention of Couto into a defensive midfielder. Still, he is prepared to stick it out for a while longer yet and will move up a notch next season – though Kevin Gibbons is on his way to have his own say on that matter. A competent squad player, but not really in line for a regular spot in the starting eleven.

Pablo Box (25 y/o, ESP, M RC): 1(4) apps, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.60: Found it difficult during the season to command any type of game time but in his only starting appearance in the league he ran the midfield very well and created several scoring opportunities for the forwards. So I still think it’s worth keeping the player at the club next season, but if the right offer comes along, he may well find himself on his way.

Gustavo Cañizares (30 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 4(2) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rate: 6.50: Performed poorly in the league from limited opportunities and I think he will be one of the unfortunate players jettisoned next season. No doubt we’ll take a loss on him, but frankly he wasn’t the player I thought he would be when I signed him. To his credit, he is willing to put in the hard yards to recapture a spot in the first eleven, but to be brutally honest, it ain’t going to happen, baby.

Paulo Miranda (25 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 11(7) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, av. rate: 7.33: A good start to his career with Cartagonova and I’m sure that sooner or later he will crack it for a regular spot in the first eleven. His versatility, creativity and passing technique are his major assets, and he is becoming a fan favourite with the blokes in the terraces. I’m quite proud to have captured him from Argentina and I hope that he continues to develop into a fine attacking midfielder over the coming seasons.

Fernando Morán (27 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 36 apps, 5 goals, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 7.31: Not as effective as he was the previous season where he swept all before him, but of course the Primera Liga offers a completely different challenge than the Segunda Liga. Still, I always preferred to have him in the starting eleven than not in it, so I guess he is still good value. Refused, however, to re-negotiate his contract and since it is to expire next season, he may be placed on the transfer list so we can get some money for him. Still, the door to my office is always open should he be willing to change his mind.

Rufete (27 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM R): 32(1) apps, 11 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 7.30: Ten goals in the league is slightly more than one goal per game he served in his suspension early in the season that robbed us of a highly talented winger. That loss of temperament saw him miss almost a quarter of the season, and he could have been a devastating winger if we had him available for the entire season. But boy is he worth the signing on fee we paid him, because again this man was a complete steal on a Bosman free transfer. Plus he possesses a very accurate shot – averaging 85% accuracy, which is better than anybody else in the league. If he can curb his temper, he will go close to adding to his international cap collection, I’m sure.

Jofre (24 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): 1 app, av. rate: 6.00: His development is beginning to stall and though he is still happy to commit his future to the club, I’m beginning to think Jofre’s career may be better served away from Cartagonova. Michel, O’Neill and Oliver are all ahead of him for that coveted left wing position and unless Jofre can improve key areas like passing, he will find himself remaining second or third choice. That wouldn’t be fair to him, I think.

Michel (28 y/o, ESP, AM L): 35(2) apps, 3 goals, 8 assists, av. rate: 7.11: Still a very handy contributor on that left flank and I’m sure there would a few other clubs in the league that would like to have him in their ranks. Despite definite interest from Espanyol, however, I’m not willing to let him leave just yet. I still consider him to be my first-choice winger and he will have every opportunity next season to repay my faith in him. Didn’t quite turn it on this season as he has done previously, but I think my judgment in him when I signed him two seasons ago has to a certain extent been vindicated. Next season will see if he can go the entire way.

Keith O’Neill (28 y/o, IRE 23 caps, 4 goals, AM/F LC): 3(7) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.80: His first season in Spain was a difficult one for the former Norwich and Boro man, but he struggled on manfully and managed by the end of the season to earn my respect. I considered seriously putting him up for sale since he appeared to be so miserable – he still has considerable difficulty stringing together more than a few words of Spanish, so he needs to work on that next season. I actually am struggling to find the right place for him to fit the formation, because he doesn’t seem a natural left winger. Perhaps his best place is the bench, at least with us, and he won’t be too happy about that shortly, I’m sure.

Oliver (25 y/o, ESP, AM L): 6(2) apps, 2 assists, av. rate: 7.13: A good addition to the squad, he slotted in nicely to his back-up role to Michel. Should Michel stumble next season, I think Oliver will be there with his hat in the ring to take his spot. He certainly has all the credentials in the important areas a good winger needs to be successful and if he could have a long run in the league, I’m sure he would be a good player. It’s just that Michel got there first.

Cristian Ãlvarez (24 y/o, SLV 11 caps, 6 goals, AM C): 0(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rate: 7.00: Definitely a player of the future, given the way he has improved everything over the season. Unfortunately, his contract is up next season and he doesn’t want to negotiate a new one. Hopefully the new season will change his mind, because I definitely want him to play for the club. Each day he comes to resemble Paul Scholes more and more and he is already beginning to turn it on for his country – in his last match, he scored a hat-trick from midfield. Not bad! icon_biggrin.gif

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (31 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 16(6) apps, 5 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.50: Excellent pick-up for the club and did very well from fairly limited opportunities. Usually played behind the front two strikers and on occasion was the difference between victory and draw, draw and loss. Getting on in years, but I’m sure he has plenty to contribute next season and I’m sure he will be looking forward to showcasing his skills in the Champions’ League.

Strikers

Stan Collymore (33 y/o, ENG 2 caps, S C): 40(2) apps, 21 goals, 5 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rate: 7.50: Why, Stan? Why? Going to Sporting Gijón is like stabbing every fan in the chest. He then twisted the knife by marking his final Cartagonova appearance with a hat-trick. But he will be remembered fondly by each Cartagonova fan who saw him in action, but he shouldn’t expect charity when we play his new team next season. I really could have done with his services for another season, but it’s not to be. Hopefully somebody out of Sosa, Esposito or Gabrich will stand up and take his spot next to Redondo. Still it’s going to be difficult filling his shoes. He will be missed, but I’m sure that each Cartagonova fan will feel more than a little betrayed by his impending transfer. Yet, his contribution to the club’s success should never be underestimated by anybody.

Iván César Gabrich (31 y/o, ARG, S C): 1(10) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rate: 6.91: Performed quite well when given the opportunity but I can’t see him being the player to take up the slack left by Collymore’s impending departure. Still, he is worth having around the club so I won’t be in a hurry to move him on.

José Manuel Redondo (28 y/o, ESP, S C): 46 apps, 28 goals, 15 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rate: 7.89: This man is the club’s hero, unquestionably. He improved his performance from the previous season and managed to score 25 league goals to finish second behind Patrick Kluivert. Plus he was creative and unselfish enough to create fifteen further goals. He must have been unlucky to miss out on a call-up to the Spanish squad in time for Euro 2004. I am quite unabashedly a fan of the striker and I’m sure Real Zaragoza must be kicking themselves for letting him go. He has been one of the best players I’ve ever had the privilege of managing. I’m sure he is learning a lot from Enzo Francescoli and Romário, but he is putting all that knowledge that augments his excellent technique and talent to good use on the pitch. The club’s first real talisman and every weekend we see more and more fans bearing his name and number proudly on their backs. There is no way in hell I’m letting him go, no matter the price. Quite simply, the odds-on favourite to be named Supporters’ Player of the Year.

Romário (38 y/o, BRA 76 caps, 54 goals, S C): 0 apps: No appearances in a competitive fixture for the legendary Brazilian as we decided to concentrate on his coaching duties at the club. Undoubtedly, Redondo and Collymore have benefited from his knowledge and expertise.

Roberto Sosa (29 y/o, ARG, S C): 4(2) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.67: Did well from limited opportunities, but his sheer lack of pace still holds me back from playing him regularly. Will be joined by ex-teammate Mauro Esposito next season for the race to partner Redondo up front for us, but he is certainly a contender for that job.

Iván Zamorano (37 y/o, CHI 70 caps, 36 goals, S C): 0 apps: Didn’t make an appearance for the club this season and I hope that he will go quietly into retirement next season. I have no further need for the Chilean, harsh that may be.

5th of June 2004

The European Championships of 2004 kicks off with the host nation, Portugal defeating the Ukraine 1-0 thanks to a goal to evergreen João Pinto in the first half. Our very own Fernando Couto participated in the defence.

On the advice of my scout Yves Baré, I offer Sabadell £100,000 for the nineteen year old full-back César Cabrera. I discuss his future with former coach Dunga, who is still assistant manager at Sabadell, and he tells me that the young Spaniard will have a great future. But his only possible downfall is his comparative lack of pace – which seems to characterise many of my full-backs! icon_smile.gif Otherwise, he seems to have all the skills in the right place.

6th of June 2004

Norway defeats Germany 1-0 in Lisbon thanks to a goal from captain, Christer George, in the 66th minute. The Germans dominated the match but couldn’t find that important breakthrough and were eventually caught on the counter-attack. In Vila do Conde, Holland comfortably defeated Poland 3-0 with goals to Michael Reiziger, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Patrick Kluivert. Roy Makaay, who was on the bench for the victory, completed a move from Deportivo La Coruña to Feyenoord in the morning for £8.5 million.

As expected, Sabadell rejects my £100,000 bid for Cabrera, but my interest in the player hasn’t gone away just yet. I’ll reconsider my approach over the next day or two and then approach his club again with another bid. Canny, aren’t I? icon_smile.gif

My scouts recommend John Carew of Norway and Valencia as a good purchase. Well, I think he is too, but somehow I can’t see me affording the transfer fee or his wages.

In Oporto, the evening match sees Italy replicate the Dutch’s effort by defeating Bulgaria 3-0. Roma’s Vincenzo Montella scored a brace while Filippo Inzaghi of Juventus opened the scoring. The Italians could have had plenty more, with 17 shots at Zdravko Zravkov’s goal.

Giovane Élber of Bayern München is named FIFA’s World Player of the Year ahead of Roma’s Gabriel Batistuta and Juventus’ Matteo Brighi. Patrick Kluivert of Barcelona wins the Footballer of the Year award, securing the award ahead of Roma’s Vincenzo Montella and Fiorentina’s Cristian Bardaro. Bardaro takes out the Serie A Player of the Year and the Serie A Top Goalscorer awards.

7th of June 2004

Keith O’Neill appeared for about half an hour as the Czech Republic defeated his Ireland 1-0 in Setúbal. HSV’s Marek Heinz grabbed the winner in the second half. In the most exciting match of the championship so far, Georgia triumphed 3-2 over Denmark from Lisbon. Iaschwili and Kobiaschwili put the Georgians 2-0 ahead by the hour mark, but two goals from Martin Laursen and Mads Timm brought the Danes level. But Iaschwili had the last word, scoring the winner in the 89th minute.

8th of June 2004

Here is something interesting from the back-pages in your national paper. Apparently we’re being linked with £3.5 million move for John Carew. It is well known that the lanky Norwegian is unhappy with his lot at Valencia and since I’m about to lose Stan Collymore, I must be looking for another striker to partner Redondo. Further, throw in two scouts at Norway’s first match of Euro 2004, and everybody is adding two plus two together and getting four. It’s all very interesting… but it’s all very hypothetical, because I don’t have that money, and I still think he wouldn’t be interested.

Veteran Valery Karpin scored the only goal of the match to guide Russia to a 1-0 victory over Turkey in the afternoon game played in Lisbon. But if that match was boring, then Spain’s 7-1 demolition of Finland was anything but. Almost 40,000 fans crammed into Braga’s stadium saw the Spaniards run amok in the second half. Vicente and Etxeberría had Spain 2-0 up at half-time, but three further goals to the Basque player plus a brace to Barcelona’s Alfonso tilted the scoreline heavily in Spain’s favour. William Hill and Ladbrokes moved Spain into joint favourites with Italy to lift the trophy on the back of this extraordinary performance. Surprisingly, Spain had just eight shots on target all match – hands up if you think that Peter Enckelman will get another game in goal for the Finns? icon_biggrin.gif

9th of June 2004

Portugal and Georgia shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw in Lisbon this evening. Cartagonova’s Fernando Couto played the first hour before being substituted. Luis Figo gave Portugal a 2-0 lead with a first-half brace, but Empoli’s Shota Arveladze gave the Georgians some hope with a goal just before half-time. Hertha Berlin’s Alexander Iaschwili completed the comeback with his goal in the second half.

10th of June 2004

Norway and the Czech Republic drew 1-1 in Lisbon. Chelsea’s Tore Andre Flo scored first for Norway in the second half, but Tottenham’s Patrik Berger equalised ten minutes later. In the evening match, a brace from Bayern München’s Sergei Rebrov allowed the Ukraine to sink Denmark 2-0 in Lisbon. It leaves the Danes unable to qualify from their group with no points from their first two matches and therefore, the Danish Football Association relieves Bo Johansson of his job as manager of the country.

11th of June 2004

Russia prevailed over Eastern European cousins, Bulgaria 3-2 in front of almost 50,000 spectators in Oporto. Lokomotiv’s Dmitry Bulykin gave the Russians the lead on 13 minutes, but Liteks’ Svetoslav Todorov equalised on 35 minutes. Then Vladimir Bestchastnych of Borussia Dortmund scored twice inside seven minutes to close out the first half and Newcastle’s Milen Petkov’s goal in the second half wasn’t enough to close the gap. In the evening, Spain again did it easily against Poland, winning the game 3-0 at Vila do Conde.

12th of June 2004

Ireland and Germany do battle in Setúbal and it is the Germans who come up trumps thanks to a last minute penalty earned by Sean Dundee and converted by Stefan Beinlich. Before that, Germany got off to a quick start with Oliver Neuville scoring after 8 minutes, but Arsenal’s Graham Barrett had the Irish on level terms on 35 minutes. But Shay Given was adjudged to have brought down Dundee in injury time at the end of the match, and the Germans took the points.

13th of June 2004

Juventus’ Matteo Brighi was the match-winner for Italy as his goal was enough to sink a gallant Turkey in front of 42,000 spectators in Lisbon. In the meantime, Finland will be returning home soon as Holland triumphed 4-2 in an exciting match played in Braga. Feyenoord’s Clarence Seedorf put the Dutch on the board after 20 minutes, while PSV’s Mark van Bommel added Holland’s second on 33 minutes. But Atlético Miniero’s Henri Scheweleff scored a penalty when Lurling fouled Kujala inside the box on half-time. However, van Bommel scored his second goal of the game to make the game comfortable for the Dutch. Three minutes later, Dortmund’s Marc Overmars made it 4-1, and Scheweleff’s second goal was merely a consolation for the Finns.

Keep smiling!

Dixie Flatline

The Cartagonova saga continues

15th of June 2004

Portugal concedes a late, late equaliser to drop two points in its match against Denmark. Valencia’s Hugo Leal gave the host nation the lead on 39 minutes, but deep into injury time, Peter Madsen equalised for the Danes who at least go home with a point on the board. Our very own Fernando Couto plays the entire 90 minutes in a good performance in defence. In the other group match, the Ukraine and Georgia played out a 1-1 draw. Shota Arveladse opened the scoring on 25 minutes, but Yuri Dmytrulin of Dinamo Kiev rescued the point for the disappointing Ukrainians, who along with Denmark will depart the tournament on the next flights out of Portugal.

In the evening, the Czech Republic ensured they would advance to the next stage with a 1-1 draw against Germany. Gigantic PSG striker, Jan Koller, opened his championship account on 22 minutes, and Sean Dundee’s 70th minute equaliser wasn’t enough for the Germans to overtake the Czechs. In the other group match, Norway claimed top spot from Group 2 with a come-from-behind victory over Ireland. Leeds United’s Alan Cawley scored after 6 minutes in front of 92,300 spectators, but Tore Andre Flo equalised on the stroke of half-time and Christer George scored the winner on 57 minutes. Norway topped the group ahead of the Czech Republic, while the Germans and Irish will return home.

Later in the evening, the German Football Association sacks Jupp Heynckes.

16th of June 2004

In two matches that did not affect the final standings in Group 4, Spain and Holland drew blanks in a 0-0 draw in Braga. Holland did have de Windt sent off after 56 minutes and he will miss the Dutch’s next match. In a match that had no bearing, Poland overcame the early setback of a Finnish goal by Charlton’s Matti Santahuhta to triumph 3-1 thanks to a hat-trick to Nante’s Tomasz Frankowski. Spain and Holland finished one-two in the group.

Group 3 is settled in the evening with comfortable 2-0 victories to Italy and Bulgaria over Russia and Turkey respectively. Almost 42,000 fans saw the Italians play it comfortably against a second-best Russia, with goals to Torino’s Vincenzo Sommese and Juventus’ Filippo Inzaghi securing victory and top spot. Bulgaria’s 2-0 victory ensured that the Turks left the competition without a point as almost 50,000 spectators saw Hongta’s Gonzo and F.C. Köln’s Marian Hristov score the winning goals in the second half.

The quarter-finals pit Norway versus Portugal, Italy versus Holland, Georgia versus the Czech Republic and Spain versus Russia.

More individual awards this evening as:

* Barcelona’s Patrick Kluivert is named European Footballer of the Year;

* Giovane Élber of Bayern München is the South American Footballer of the Year;

* Edwin van der Sar of Juventus is named European Goalkeeper of the Year;

* Barcelona’s Lilian Thuram is the European Defender of the Year;

* Roma’s Francesco Totti wins the European Midfielder of the Year award;

* Patrick Kluivert scoops the European Striker of the Year award;

* Lorenzo Serra Ferrer is the Spanish Manager of the Year;

* Kluivert is the Primera Liga top goalscorer of the season for the fourth season in succession. Cartagonova’s José Manuel Redondo was second, eleven goals behind Kluivert’s total of 36.

* Antonio Prats of Barcelona is the Spanish Goalkeeper of the Year;

* Kluivert is also named the Spanish Player of the Year.

17th of June 2004

The Spanish transfer window opens for the new season and Kevin Gibbons walks through my office door to introduce himself. He doesn’t speak a word of Spanish, so I have the part-time language teacher we employ alongside me. The teacher takes the young defensive midfielder under his wing while I listen with a heavy heart to the money being splashed around by my rival clubs – Javier Saviola moves from River Plate to Valencia for £17.75 million and Barcelona purchases Fabio Cannavaro from Parma for £12.75 million.

18th of June 2004

Alan Stubbs is the latest Englishman to walk through my door this morning. He is only 32, so I’m sure he will be challenging Filipescu and Ãlvarez for their positions during the season. Hopefully he can get along with O’Neill and Gibbons to ensure that they don’t get homesick.

19th of June 2004

Euro 2004’s quarter-finals begin this afternoon as Norway and Portugal slug it out in front of 92,000 spectators at Lisbon’s Estádio da Luz. And they will be going home happy as the host country prevailed in a tight contest 1-0 thanks to an 86th minute winner from Nuno Gomes. Cartagonova’s Fernando Couto played well in defence.

After watching the exciting match, I am contacted by the agent of Jaén’s young defender Juan Carlos Castro who has agreed terms with my club and wants to finalise his £60,000 transfer from the lower division club to Cartagonova. I apparently beat off competition from Liverpool, amongst other clubs, for his signature.

Pre-tournament favourite, Italy crashed out of the competition at the hands of Holland 2-1. The Dutch vice-captain, Ruud van Nistelrooy, opened the scoring on 26 minutes and then Marc Overmars added the second on 40 minutes. Matteo Brighi managed to pull one back on half-time from the penalty spot, but the Dutch defended well in the second half to move into the semi-final stage. Almost 51,000 were in attendance at the Estádio Nacional in Lisbon.

As I expected and for the second season in succession, José Manuel Redondo captures the Supporters’ Player of the Year award for 2003/04 at a black-tie gala event hosted by the club and attended by most members of the social club.

Italy removes its national manager Luciano Spalletti – who intriguingly doubled as coach at Monza ( icon_eek.gif ) – for failing to move past the quarter-final stage.

20th of June 2004

I initiate the trimming of the squad with José Dacosta, a left-back, Gustavo Cañizares, an attacking midfielder, and Iván Zamorano (the mercurial striker) all transfer-listed. None of the players like it when I break the news to them, particularly the Chilean, but they are not part of my long-term plans and I think it would be unfair to them to continue to permit them to think otherwise. I am also deliberating whether to list Ismael and Pablo Casar. Unfortunately, none of the listed players are attracting any interest from other clubs. Hmm.

20th of June 2004

Spain moved a step closer to the final with a good 2-0 victory over Russia played in front of almost 50,000 at the Estádio das Antas in Oporto. The undoubted star of the tournament so far, Joseba Etxeberría, scored both goals in both halves of good football from the Spaniards. The result consolidates Spain’s newfound favouritism for the trophy, especially with the Italians now out of the contest.

In the evening contest, the last quarter-final sees the Czech Republic prevail over eastern European cousins, Georgia 2-0 with both goals scored by Strasbourg’s Milan Baros.

I am summoned to Señor Florentino Manzano’s villa in the hills overlooking the town and the Estádio Municipal de Cartagena. The club chairman graciously allows me to sit and then has his maid pour me a drink. I light up a cigar and prepare to be the receptacle of information. He informs me that thanks to patient negotiations by the Spanish FA, we will receive £5 million from TV rights. I refrain from asking whether I’ll get that to spend on new players or whether it will be squirreled away by the directors… icon_wink.gif Anyway, he continues to state that he expects me to attain a respectable league position this season. Obviously then he thinks that fourth place in our first season in the Primera Liga was no fluke. Myself, I’m not so sure. icon_biggrin.gif

Another national manager bites the dust as Russia fires Anatoly Byshovets this evening even before the players can board a plane to leave Portugal.

21st of June 2004

Another Englishman walks through my door and I begin to think that Cartagena must have invented itself as a tourist resort for the Poms and have directed all tourists directly to my office. But then I remember when the man introduces himself as David Livermore that he is the promising young D/DM LC I signed on a free transfer from Millwall.

I had offered Fernando Morán and his under-study Cristian Ãlvarez new contracts as their current contracts expire at the end of the new season. Unfortunately, both refuse to sign the contracts, with Morán revealing that he is still unhappy with me. I can’t understand why, but I believe that unless he signs soon I will transfer list him to recoup money on him.

The fixture list is decided this evening and released to the clubs. We start with games against Alavés (home) on the 29th of August 2004, Celta Vigo (away) on the 12th of September and promoted Numancia (home) on the 19th of September.

23rd of June 2004

Spain’s quest for its second European Championship success came crashing down all around them as the Czech Republic scored three times to win 3-0. The Spaniards had no answers to the threat posed by Wolfsburg Pavel Verbir and PSG’s Jan Koller (2). It was a disappointing end to the campaign which had begun so well with a 7-1 defeat of Finland in the group stage, and once again Spain is unable to shake the tag of being the big-time chokers. Somewhat like the Finns in that match, Barcelona’s Antonio Prats had an awful match, letting in all three shots the Czechs had on his goal. Just over 52,000 fans watched the entertainment from the Estádio José de Alvalade in Lisbon.

Almost 93,000 Portuguese fans will go home very disappointed tonight as Holland clinched its spot in the Euro 2004 final against the Czech Republic with a 4-1 demolition of the hapless Portugal. Inter Milan’s Anthony Lurling fired the Dutch into the lead in the 18th minute and Feyenoord’s Roy Makaay added a second four minutes later. PSV’s Ruud van Nistelrooy scored his 25th international goal of his career on 43 minutes. João Pinto netted right on half-time to give the host nation some hope in the second half, but in truth Portugal never looked likely to steal this game and van Nistelrooy scored his second and Holland’s fourth with a couple of minutes to play. Fernando Couto did not play this game and it may well be the end of his international career.

24th of June 2004

Ballesteros’ good form in the last campaign attracts the attention of Celta Vigo and the club offers me £1.5 million but that doesn’t come close to his release amount and he is too good a player to let go for that amount of money. Hence, I turn down the offer.

My assistant manager’s contract expires today and I still can’t persuade him to sign a new one.

I organise a tour of England in early August to hone the players’ skill and fitness. We start with a match against Rushden & Diamonds, then face Crewe before being hosted at the ‘Theatre of Dreams’ by Manchester United. On the 14th of August, Parma travels to Cartagena to play us and a week later, Bayern München also makes the trip to our little town.

25th of June 2004

Stan Collymore departs for Sporting Gijón today. I still feel angry about how he continuously professed his desire to go back to England but then goes and signs with one of our chief rivals in the Primera Liga. Still, I can’t argue with his contribution to the club’s success in the previous three seasons. His statistics tell a lot of the story, but his value in promoting the club’s profile is immeasurable: Stan Collymore (33 y/o, ENG 2 caps, S C): 117(4) apps, 61 goals, 15 assists, 18 MoMs, av. rate: 7.69

27th of June 2004

Pedro Alberto finally takes the big hints I’ve been dropping in his earshot for the last six months and announces his immediate retirement from professional football at the age of 35: Pedro Alberto (35 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 0 apps

In an exciting match played in front of almost 51,000 supporters, Holland triumphed 3-1 over the Czech Republic to claim its second European Championship. Clarence Seedorf gave the Dutch an early lead, but shortly after half-time, Jan Koller equalised for the Czechs. But parity lasted only 8 minutes when Mark van Bommel restored the Dutch lead on 55 minutes. Ruud van Nistelrooy added the clinching goal on 72 minutes, allowing Edgar Davids, the Dutch captain, to lift the European Championship trophy high above his head.

After the match, my phone rings. It is former Dutch international turned coach, Hans van Breukelen. With 73 caps’ worth of experience, I think the 47 year old is an excellent addition to the coaching staff, particularly when his wage demand was surprisingly low for such a good coach.

28th of June 2004

The club’s roster is shaved by two as Javier Margas and Ãlex Fernández leave the club: Javier Margas (35 y/o, CHI 98 caps, 6 goals, D C): 20(6) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.15; Ãlex Fernández (30 y/o, ESP, DM C): 48(10) apps, 10 goals, 14 assists, av. rate: 6.93

30th of June 2004

Two new players arrive at the club today. Former Italian U-23 international, Mauro Esposito, comes to the club hoping to fill the great void left by the departure of Collymore, while Jurica Vucko joins from Alavés as further competition for the attacking midfielder/playmaker role. The Croat takes over from Óscar Ãlvarez as the highest paid player at the club.

1st of July 2004

Finally some progress is made on the contract negotiation front with Fernando Morán pledging his future to the club as he signs a three year deal worth £1.5 million to the player. Now if I could get Cristian Ãlvarez to sign a contract, I would be quite happy.

4th of July 2004

Still looking to trim the substantial wage bill, I decide that I can do without the services of Iván Gabrich. He is now over 30 and isn’t very prolific, so he isn’t likely to be the man to replace Stan Collymore. He isn’t very happy about it – in fact, he was rather furious when I told him – but there are clubs interested in him and are not yet deterred by the £1 million price I’ve placed on him.

5th of July 2004

It doesn’t take long for the first bids to start rolling off the fax machine for the Argentine striker. Caracas leads the chase, offering me £1 million for Gabrich. They are closely followed by Liga Deportivo Universitaria. To both of them, I ask if they can add an extra £500,000 to the fee.

7th of July 2004

However, the extra money I demand of Gabrich’s two suitors appears to be too much for them and they withdraw from the race to sign the Argentine.

8th of July 2004

Olimpia faxes me a bid of £1 million. I respond by adding a demand for £250,000 after twenty league matches.

9th of July 2004

Elche seeks to tempt me with an offer of £1.9 million for Ballesteros, my dependable right back. Sorry, fellas, but this player isn’t for sale just yet.

10th of July 2004

Olimpia responds with the money I’m looking for, so I allow its manager to discuss terms directly with Gabrich.

11th of July 2004

Gabrich agrees terms with Olimpia and then sulks to the press that his move was partly motivated by a clash with me. I’m sorry to contradict the good Argentine, but the move was completely motivated by me making a decision that he was surplus to requirements at Cartagonova: Iván César Gabrich (31 y/o, ARG, S C): 30(15) apps, 12 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.18

Keep smiling! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

Thanks, Tricky Winger! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif I'll endeavour to keep up the steady flow of updates.

Speaking of which...

12th of July 2004

Tenerife has useful left-back Curro Torres languishing in the ‘B’ side. They also like the look of Gustavo Cañizares, whom I have no further use for, so we negotiate a deal where Cañizares plus £350,000 is offered for Torres, which values the defender at an even £1 million. Tenerife goes for the deal and I offer Curro Torres a good deal. If I sign him, it might spell the end for Heinze and Ismael at the club, too.

13th of July 2004

One part of the deal clicks into place this evening as Curro Torres informs me that he would be delighted to join Cartagonova, effective immediately.

15th of July 2004

The newspapers fix upon the idea that Ismael Ruiz may soon leave the club for Alavés. To tell you the truth, I don’t think I would mind either way, because he would be no more than a squad player with Couto the incumbent midfielder and Gibbons and Livermore the potential successors. Hence, I decline to make a comment in relation to this news story, preferring to confine my statements to the club’s chances in the European Cup.

In the evening, Gustavo Cañizares finally agrees to the move to Tenerife. I immediately contact the club’s lawyers to finalise the deal then I get in touch with Curro Torres so we can unveil him to the local press tomorrow morning: Gustavo Cañizares (30 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 37(2) apps, 4 goals, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 6.85

16th of July 2004

I decide to list Gabriel Heinze and Ismael, as I no longer have use for them with considerable cover down the left side of defence with the arrival of Curro Torres.

17th of July 2004

It doesn’t take too long for interest to surface in Heinze. His min. release clause is a laughable £150,000, but he refuses to re-negotiate a contract and hence he is on the list. Boca Juniors comes in with an offer that matches the release clause, so they can go ahead and sign him for all I care. By the evening, both sides have agreed personal terms and on the 26th of July, he will be gone: Gabriel Iván Heinze (26 y/o, ARG, D LC): 5(1) apps, av. rate: 6.83

18th of July 2004

Emmanuel Petit, the pony-tailed one, is still in charge of Real Oviedo, although they never looked like gaining promotion to the Primera Liga last season. He decides that he would like to purchase some experience for this campaign, so he offers me £8,000 for Iván Zamorano. I don’t want to deny the old stager one last fling at professional football, so I accept the cut-price bid and allow the two sides to negotiate terms.

Deciding that I need a good out-and-out striker to partner Redondo up forward in this campaign, I offer Feyenoord £3.1 million to take Niels Kokmeijer off their hands. It accepts the offer and soon I’m talking turkey with the young striker who is so desperate for football that he will accept ridiculously low wages – like £1,500/week for three seasons! icon_smile.gif I like him already!

Later in the evening, Zamorano phones me to tell me that he has agreed terms with Real Oviedo and will leave in the morrow. It has been a pleasure: Iván Zamorano (37 y/o, CHI 70 caps, 36 goals, S C): 9(8) apps, 9 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.35

19th of July 2004

In the afternoon we sign, seal and deliver the biggest deal in Cartagonova’s short history as Niels Kokmeijer puts pen to paper on the contract that will see him leave Feyenoord for the Spanish Primera Liga for £3.1 million. I can seriously see him being a potential Dutch international striker in a few years time, so I hope that the price tag will turn out to be a bargain.

21st of July 2004

Alavés swoops on Ismael Ruiz as it offers me £275,000 which meets his min. release clause. By the evening, the deal is concluded and the defensive midfielder is on his way to Basque country: Ismael Ruiz (27 y/o, ESP, DM C): 1(2) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.33

23rd of July 2004

I’m interested in signing another Dutchman. This time, his name is Kew Jaliens, and he plays his football for Ajax, when he gets the chance. I make a bid of £2 million for the right-sided defender and to my delight the cut-price bid (he’s officially listed at £3.1 million) is accepted. However, he has a high opinion of his ability and he drives a hard bargain, but we’ll see what happens with this one.

I conduct this business from my hotel room in Monaco as I’m in attendance for the draw for the third phase of the Champions’ League qualifying round. To mixed emotions I find that we draw Spartak Moskva with the first leg to be played at the Estádio Municipal de Cartagena. So it looks like being a seeded club didn’t really help us draw an easy game to advance into the group stages.

24th of July 2004

My Saturday morning breakfast routine is interrupted by a call from Jaliens’ agent who informs me that the player has agreed to our terms and would like to join. I tell him that I’ll put the lawyers onto the case and we’ll have him registered as a Cartagonova player by the afternoon. It also spells the end of Pablo Casar’s time as a wanted Cartagonova player – he is put on the transfer list.

26th of July 2004

Casar’s former club, Racing Santander, pitches its hat into the ring for the defender, offering me his min. release clause amount of £150,000 for him. I accept the offer, as I’m contractually bound to do.

27th of July 2004

But Racing Santander is not the only club interested in the defender. Cosenza matches the Spanish club’s bid, so I accept that one, too. However, Casar has already made up his mind to return to his former club, so the deal is done by evening: Pablo Casar (25 y/o, ESP, D RC): 28 apps, av. rate: 6.64

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

Thanks, pooscalery! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

29th of July 2004

Celtic’s progress to world domination of football continues unabated as Martin O’Neill splashes £19 million to bring Chilean striker Marcelo Salas from Lazio. He joins Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Christian Vieri, Pavel Nedved and Ariel Ortega amongst the ‘big-name’ signings at the Glasgow club.

1st of August 2004

It looks like I’m going to lose my Salvadoran wunderkid to second division Levante as the Valencia-based club offers me £450,000 for the attacking midfielder, which meets his min. release clause amount. I immediately offer him a new contract, but I fear that he will be leaving very shortly. In fact, it takes only an afternoon for Ãlvarez to make up his mind – he will go to Levante icon_frown.gif : Cristian Ãlvarez (24 y/o, SLV 13 caps, 7 goals, AM C): 4(7) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rate: 6.64

3rd of August 2004

After spending months exhibiting interest in the young defensive midfielder, Villarreal finally offers me something concrete for Francisco Ãlvarez - £350,000. But I’m not interested, unless I can snare Villarreal’s own wonder-boy, the Norwegian Kristian Tanem, who has apparently fall out with the club’s hierarchy. That rates Ãlvarez at £3.5 million, whereas his min. release clause is £2.5 million – think they’ll go for it? icon_wink.gif

4th of August 2004

Friendly – Rushden & Diamonds v Cartagonova

It’s the first time in about two months we’ve kicked a ball in anger so it takes us some time to warm up, particularly with a host of new faces in the starting eleven. But most impress me in a good 3-0 victory over the Division 3 opponent, with Jaliens, Stubbs, Gibbens, Livermore and Esposito all impressing me. Vucko and Kokmeijer don’t play so well, but Esnáider is the best player on the pitch and we dominate, as expected. However, Alan Stubbs picks up an injury late in the match that will keep him out for a month, which is a bit of bad luck for us.

Rushden & Diamonds (4-4-2): Campbell; Butler, Walton (Chambers 69), Peters ©, Sutch (McNiven 50); Setchell (Anthony 56), Pennock, Hayward (Luckett 56), Riley (Dunkley 56); Thorpe, Liddell (Fell 69).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Curro Torres (Livermore 63), Filipescu (Castro 80), Stubbs (Ballesteros 84), Jaliens; Gibbens; Michel (O’Neill 46), Rufete (Box 63); Vucko (Esposito 46); Esnáider, Kokmeijer (Miranda 46).

Final score: Rushden & Diamonds 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM – Juan Eduardo Esnáider

5th of August 2001

Villarreal makes its final offer for Francisco Ãlvarez - £500,000. It isn’t sufficient to interest me.

6th of August 2004

Hércules is the next club to weigh into the race to convince me to sell Ãlvarez, faxing a bid through worth £600,000 to me. It’s becoming a little more tempting, but I’m still not ready to sell him just yet.

Friendly – Crewe v Cartagonova

This isn’t a great result for our build-up to the first leg of the Champions’ League qualifier. Crewe is the better side in the first half and they grab their reward when Kevin Street opens the scoring on 48 minutes. After a few substitutions, we begin to wake up and start firing in the shots at Myles Hogarth’s goal, particularly from Mauro Esposito. But we can’t find the equaliser and I’m sure the Crewe boys would get more out of this than we do.

Crewe (4-1-2-1-2): Hogarth; Wright ©, Foster (Dichio 36 (Blake 74)), Moore, O’Halloran (Dodd 91); Charnock (Wilnis 36); Street, Lunt; Frost (Hudson 20 (Rivers 56)); Doherty (Liddle 69), Rankin (Rix 27).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Curro Torres (Livermore 55), Filipescu, Jaliens (Ballesteros 59), Tetteh (Lacruz 72); Gibbens; Michel, Rufete (Box 55); Vucko (Miranda 72); Sosa (Esposito 55), Kokmeijer (O’Neill 72).

Final score: Crewe 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM – Darren Moore

After the match, UEFA contacts me to name my 25-man squad for the European Champions’ League’s first stages. And here they are:

Iván Vidal (GK), Francesc Arnau (GK), Joaquín Moso (GK), Iulian Filipescu (SW/D/DM C), Ballesteros (D/DM RC), Kew Jaliens (D RC), José María Lacruz (D RL), Marcelo Moya (D RLC), Curro Torres (D/DM L), Fernando Manuel Couto (D/DM C), Mariano Fernández (D C), Óscar Ãlvarez (D C), Francisco Ãlvarez (DM C), Kevin Gibbens (DM C), Pablo Box (M RC), Paulo Miranda (AM RLC), Fernando Morán (AM RLC), Rufete (AM R), Jurica Vucko (AM/F RC), Mauro Esposito (AM/F LC), Michel (AM L), Keith O’Neill (AM/F LC), Oliver (AM L), Juan Eduardo Esnáider (AM/F C), Niels Kokmeijer (S C), José Manuel Redondo (S C).

7th of August 2004

Independiente offers me £190,000 for Roberto Sosa. I would like to get some more money for him, so I try for £500,000 in six months plus £250,000 after twenty league matches. Barakaldo offers me £210,000 for Luis Prieto, which meets his min. release clause. Anyway, I don’t want to keep him, so he’s free to negotiate with Barakaldo. Indeed, by the end of the day he agrees to join the Segunda Liga B club: Luis Prieto (25 y/o, ESP, D C): 1 app, av. rate: 8.00

8th of August 2004

Friendly – Manchester United v Cartagonova

Beckham looks dangerous early and forces Vidal into a good save. I assign Couto to look after the English international while Kokmeijer skips past Gareth Whalley’s tackle before curling a shot at Anders Helland’s goal, but the Norwegian pushes his shot away. Then Kew Jaliens tries his luck from Phil Neville’s half clearance from Rufete’s cross. On 20 minutes, Kokmeijer sets up Redondo, but Helland does well to block the shot. Eight minutes later, Redondo opens the scoring after being freed by Morán. That silences the parochial 50,000-strong crowd packed into the ‘Theatre of Dreams’. Three minutes later, Gary Neville slides through Redondo but while Redondo protests the referee’s decision, Morán plays the ball and scores. After half-time, I make a couple of substitutions and it begins to let Manchester United back into the game. Beckham increases his influence when Couto comes off and on 63 minutes, he pulls one back for his club. Manchester United keeps us on the back foot for the remainder of the match and they score an equaliser in injury time when youngster Sean Evers picks up Stewart’s cross and bundles it over the line.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Anders Helland; Phil Neville, Christian Dailly, David May (Peter Atherton 57), Gary Neville ©; Ryan Williams (Matthew Murray 64), Gareth Whalley (Michael Stewart 64), David Beckham, Sean Evers; Kevin Phillips (Danny Webber 51), Keith Lyons.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz (Curro Torres 51), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Couto © (Filipescu 51); Oliver (Miranda 86), Rufete (Box 86); Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer (Esposito 63).

Final score: Manchester United 2:2 Cartagonova

MoM – Fernando Morán

9th of August 2004

My demands for Roberto Sosa are too much for Independiente.

11th of August 2004

European Champions League – Third Qualifying Phase, 1st leg: Cartagonova v Spartak Moskva

It’s our first competitive fixture for the season and it may well be the most important. So it’s good to get off to a good start. But Spartak Moskva bottle us up for the first 20 minutes or so and the dangerous Ghanaian forward Derek Boateg drives a shot wide of Vidal’s goal. But a couple of minutes later, Redondo takes the pass from Michel and looks for Kokmeijer. His cross is punched away by the Spartak keeper, but only into the path of Rufete and the winger hammers home the shot! icon_smile.gif Kokmeijer then does everything except score a couple of minutes later and we’re punished when Kalinichenko leaves Couto for dead before finding Boateg unmarked. The Ghanaian thunders home the equaliser and Spartak has that dreaded away goal. icon_mad.gif Thankfully, ten minutes later Morán’s pass breaches Spartak’s defence for Kokmeijer to head home a bullet shot past the Spartak keeper for his first goal of his Cartagonova career! icon_biggrin.gif Boateg takes the ball up the other end from kick-off, and Vidal makes a great double save to deny him going into half-time. But not before we find time to add a third goal. Couto uses his strength to win the contest with Khokhlov and finds Morán. The midfielder flicks the ball onto Rufete and the winger drills a vicious swerving shot beneath the Spartak keeper to bring the curtain down on the first half.

A brilliantly contrived motivational speech at half-time keeps up the impetus in the second half and Kokmeijer adds a fourth seven minutes after the re-start, finishing off a great move involving half the team. We spend the rest of the game trying to add a fifth goal, but Couto, Redondo and Michel are all denied the chance to add their names to the scoresheet with some inaccurate shots on Spartak’s goal. Kokmeijer almost scores a hat-trick on debut with a late run into the Spartak’s penalty box only halted by a desperate tackle from Bukievskiy. But I’m ecstatic with the result when the referee blows three blasts on the whistle to signal the end of the match. I think a three goal lead is enough to take to Russia in two weeks.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Spartak Moskva (4-4-2): Kabanov; Vlasov, Rada (Bukievskiy 52), Kuzmin, Parfenov (Khizaneyshvili 58); Tikhonov ©, Kalinichenko, Khokhlov, Simão; Bezrodny, Boateg.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Spartak Moskva

MoM – Rufete

In the evening – I don’t know how he managed it – but Curro Torres damages his shoulder and will sit out the next two weeks. He wants to impress me, but this isn’t the best way of doing it, mate.

13th of August 2004

Independiente renews its chase of Roberto Sosa, offering me a laughable £170,000. I laugh pretty hard at the Independiente manager before I bark out £350,000 + £250,000 after twenty league matches down the crackly line to Argentina.

14th of August 2004

Friendly – Cartagonova v Parma

An experimental side runs out against Parma as I rest every player who took part of the match against Spartak three days earlier. Parma is chock-full of internationals and they run the match in the first half, but Francesc Arnau stands up well to the barrage and we enter the break still locked at 0-0. However, we hadn’t created anything up front for Esnáider and Sosa. Esposito replaces Esnáider, but that doesn’t help much as Parma continue to threaten us again. Finally they gain a break when Filipescu, captain for the day, deflects a shot past Arnau into the back of the net. Then Vítor Hugo makes it 2-0 to Parma on 61 minutes with a fierce drive. But Sosa sets up Miranda who sidesteps Lassissi before driving it beneath Buffon to slash Parma’s lead. On 82 minutes, Buffon trips up Mariano Fernández and receives his marching orders. Up steps Miranda and puts away the penalty to equalise. Worryingly, only about 2,000 showed up to see the Italian club.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Arnau; Moya (Livermore 64), Filipescu ©, Fernández, Moya (Ballesteros 64); Miranda, Francisco Ãlvarez (Gibbens 46), Box (Jofre 64); Vucko; Esnáider (Esposito 46), Sosa.

Parma (4-4-2): Buffon ©; Júnior (McClenahan 69), Lassissi, Bonomi (Falsini 69), Aho (Cafú 75); Alex, Appiah (Di Matteo 64), Giannichedda (Bjärsmyr 57 (Wuest 82)), Figo; Amoroso (Vítor Hugo 57), Catanha (Montaño 57).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Parma

MoM – Roberto Sosa

Keep smiling! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

Back again!

15th of August 2004

Independiente still can’t find the money to afford the price I’ve put on Sosa’s head so it withdraws from the race for the striker.

18th of August 2004

Real Oviedo’s Emmanuel Petit obviously sees a lot of himself in Francisco Ãlvarez as he makes what I think is a very desperate bid of £700,000 for the young midfielder, just on the back of half a match he has played so far this season. It is double the nominal value, but I still like the look of the midfielder and if other clubs are willing to throw a lot of money at me for a rough gem, then I think it would be worth taking the time refining that gem.

20th of August 2004

In the nick of time, I manage to sign the Dutch legend Dennis Bergkamp on a free transfer, beating off competition from Napoli for the striker’s signature. I managed to knock down his expected wage from £20,000/week to £11,250/week.

So, now that the transfer window has closed until 15th of December 2004, it’s time to first take a look at the Cartagonova squad and then the rest of the Primera Liga clubs.

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (25 y/o, ESP): 62(1) apps, 80 conceded, 5 MoMs, av. rate: 7.32 Definitely will be the number one keeper this year. He is improving every day as the coaches get to work with him. Could even start coming into consideration as one of Spain’s next crop of international-class keepers, although he has a little way to go before he should be properly considered for that honour. But at 25 he is only young and will continue to improve. Likely to clock up his 100th appearance for the club (in all competitions), which isn’t a bad return on the investment of £70,000!

Francesc Arnau (29 y/o, ESP): 12 apps, 11 conceded, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 7.25: Doesn’t provide that much competition for Vidal, but he is a competent keeper and does a good job when called upon. Definitely will occupy the reserve goalkeeper spot on the bench and if Vidal injures himself again this season, he will see some time on the park.

Joaquín Moso (25 y/o, ESP): 1(3) apps, 1 conceded, av. rate: 7.50: Looks a lot like Vidal in his technique and talent, but he misses some certain vital physical attributes that keep him out of consideration for the first team appearances that every footballer craves. Does a good job as a third-choice keeper, but I’m sure he will look for greener pastures elsewhere. But I’m not complaining about his dedication to the club cause at the moment.

Defenders

Juan Carlos Castro (17 y/o, ESP, SW/D C): Purchased from Jaén earlier in the summer, he is a long-term development prospect. Doubtful he will get many minutes on the pitch this season, but I hope that the coaches and physios will turn him into a handy player for the club.

Iulian Filipescu (30 y/o, ROM 36 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 37(1) apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, av. rate: 6.92: Hopefully will keep the defence together this season like he did last time around. He didn’t play against Spartak Moskva, and the defence looked a little shaky without him. I think he will be playing more often than not this season. He tells me every chance he gets that he likes playing for the club, which impresses me no end, because it isn’t easy playing for a small, under-resourced provincial club.

Kew Jaliens (25 y/o, HOL, D RC): 1 app, av. rate: 6.00: Purchased from Ajax for £2 million, he didn’t make an impressive impact on his debut against Spartak Moskva in the Champions’ League. But I think he has enough talent about him to force his way into the first eleven on a regular basis. He has pace to burn and can string together a good pass, but his tackling can let him down. Therefore, I like him better as a right-back rather than a centre half, which could pose problems for Ballesteros. I think that with careful and patient work, he will be a good investment for the club, despite the relatively hefty price tag. Won’t be short of compatriots at the club, which is a good thing for settling into a different culture.

José María Lacruz (26 y/o, ESP, D RL): 39(2) apps, 4 assists, av. rate: 6.70: A very quiet player, it’s sometimes easy to overlook him when he’s on the pitch. But I believe we would miss him if he wasn’t there, and I’m sure that he will be around at the end of the season with plenty more appearances for the club under his belt. Like Filipescu, he tells me that he enjoys playing for the club, which is a bonus. Averaged over three tackles a game last year, and if he can replicate that type of form this season, we will go a long way to having another successful season. I wonder if Athletic Bilbao miss him?

Marcelo Moya (25 y/o, ARG, D RLC): 17(5) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.91: Showed me a glimpse of his volatile nature last season when he took exception to an official warning I dished out to him. But I want to hang onto him because he has talent, if not bags of pace. A strong, powerful player with a crunching tackle, I want to see him take out opposition forwards and midfielders this season. But he will be battling for a position in the first eleven, especially with his non-EU status.

Stephen Tetteh (24 y/o, GHA 12 caps, D R): 4 apps, av. rate: 7.00: Needs to step up this season if he wants to remain at the club. Is attracting interest from another club and I feel the need to continue trimming the squad. But in training, he can do a lot of things that makes me think he should be more involved in match time. So, I’m still a little undecided about what to do with the Ghanaian defender.

Curro Torres (27 y/o, ESP, D/DM L): Coming on a player-exchange from Tenerife, he hasn’t impressed me so far in the friendlies we’ve played, so I have no reason to swap him with Lacruz. But he is talented and I’m sure he will be putting his name forward as a person to select regularly. His best asset is his pace but he is a no mean defender.

José Ramón Dacosta (29 y/o, ESP, D/M L): 0(2) apps, av. rate: 6.00: Transfer-listed and I hope to see the back of him by the end of the season.

Ismael (28 y/o, ESP, D LC): 38(2) apps, 3 assists, av. rate: 6.85: A good season in the Segunda Liga was followed by a shocker in the Primera Liga. With other players capable of playing his position coming into the club over the summer, he is no longer needed at the club. Therefore, he is transfer-listed.

David Livermore (24 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC): Signed on a Bosman free transfer from Millwall, he has the makings of a good defender for the club. If he could pass better than average, then he would be a great player. Not afraid of dwelling on the ball, he also packs a powerful shot, so I hope several clubs this season will be surprised by the combative young player.

Mariano Fernández (25 y/o, ARG, D C): 2 apps, 1 assist, av. rate: 7.00: Will be unlucky not to play more often this season, but I can’t fit all the defenders into the first eleven, now can I! icon_smile.gif But he is willing to stick it out and fight for a place in the starting eleven, which is something I like in the players I manage. I think all the physical attributes are just about there, but there are some mental attributes that need work on before he can really push me into selecting him more often than not.

Óscar Ãlvarez (27 y/o, ESP, D C): 41 apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.05: Did well last season in tandem with Filipescu, but has made a poor start this season with a shocker against Spartak Moskva. He is capable of such inconsistencies, and I think that if we could somehow rid him of these, then he would be a truly excellent player. As it stands, I like having him in the team and I’m sure that he will be willing to atone for his poor display in the first competitive match of the season.

Midfielders

Fernando Manuel Couto (35 y/o, POR 80 caps, 7 goals, D/DM C): 113(2) apps, 3 goals, 8 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rate: 7.40: Likely to overtake Stan Collymore’s league appearance record this season, he is still an integral part of my plans despite his advancing age. He had a good Euro 2004 tournament in front of his own fans, but will unlikely feature much more for his country. Showed some signs of fallibility in the first match this season, but he is an excellent leader and I’m glad that he continues to play for my club. The board still tell me that they think he shouldn’t be part of the club, but I continue to defend him to them – they know nothing of selecting footballers! icon_biggrin.gif Still has two seasons left on his contract and I think he could see both of them out at least. Isn’t interested in coaching after he retires from playing, but his experience is vital, particularly to players like Kevin Gibbens, David Livermore and Francisco Ãlvarez.

Francisco Ãlvarez (18 y/o, ESP, DM C): Yet to make a competitive appearance for the club after we concentrated on improving his skills and physical side of his game. I’d be more ready to play him if he had bulked up over the summer in the gym, but he is still too readily knocked off possession in midfield, as the match he played against Parma demonstrated. But he is a talented player and I’m willing to keep knocking back offers for him from other clubs in order to oversee his development as a home-grown hero.

Kevin Gibbens (24 y/o, ENG, DM C): Signed from Southampton in the summer for £375,000. At 24 years of age, his development curve will start to peak this season, but I think he could be an excellent long-term replacement for Couto. He has impressive passing skills and is cool and unruffled in possession. But he doesn’t quite have that tough, tackling mentality that I would like to cultivate in the central midfielder, whom I expect to take the middle of the park by the scruff of the neck. If he can develop that, he will be an excellent player for the club.

Pablo Box (25 y/o, ESP, M RC): 17(15) apps, 6 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.03: I think he will be destined to only be a squad player at Cartagonova, which is a pity for the fans that supported him throughout his career. Unfortunately, he doesn’t quite fit into the mould of the central midfielder that I like to play, but he isn’t quite good enough to find a niche on the right of midfield. But when he does have the chance, he usually does something with it, so he isn’t under any pressure to demonstrate to me that he is worthy of a place in the squad.

Paulo Miranda (25 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 11(7) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, av. rate: 7.33: A player with plenty of potential for Cartagonova, I hope he can step up and take the position from Cristian Ãlvarez as the creative midfielder. He will battle it out with Fernando Morán and Jurica Vucko for that attacking midfielder role just behind the front two strikers. I think he has been well worth the £1 million transfer fee we paid for him last season, and I hope he can kick on this season.

Fernando Morán (28 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 107(3) apps, 29 goals, 24 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rate: 7.37: I thought that I would have to sell him in the off-season because he refused to sign a new contract. But we were all gratified to see him put pen to paper on a new three-year contract that will tie him to the club until he is in his 30s. Again, there is nothing that really marks him out from the crowd as a player who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, but he is a tremendously strong player who just keeps going as the minutes tick by. Not only that, but he has a flair for play that makes him a man who stands out on the pitch, and there are plenty of Cartagonova fans wearing his number ‘10’ on their backs. Got off to a great start this season, creating two goals in our 4-1 victory over Spartak Moskva, and unquestionably the arrival of Jurica Vucko will spur Fernando onto bigger and better things.

Rufete (27 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM R): 33(1) apps, 13 goals, 9 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.38: Once again, I shake my head when I remember that the winger was suspended for nine matches last season. What could he have done if he participated in those games, I wonder? Definitely at the peak of his abilities last season and if the first game of the new season is any yardstick to measure him by, he is going to have a ripper this one, too. Like several of his teammates, he enjoys playing for the club, and I hope that this enjoyment will translate to on-field heroics as I give him free reign to maraud down the right of midfield. Normally one of the first players on the teamsheet for each match.

Jurica Vucko (27 y/o, HRV 10 caps, AM/F RC): A new boy who enjoys the distinction of being the highest-paid player in the squad. But I’m not too sure where to play him. I really don’t see him as a right winger, because his crossing isn’t quite up to scratch. But then again, Fernando Morán has been a marvel in the hole behind the two strikers and it would be difficult to justify dropping the Spaniard for the Croat. Further, his three practice matches at the start of the season haven’t demonstrated anything that would prompt me to make the shift. But I’m sure that I’ll be able to make use of the Croat midfielder at some stage during the season. It’s always good to have plenty of good creative, attacking midfielders in the squad.

Jofre (24 y/o, ESP, AM L): 38(3) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.03: He needs to demonstrate to me this season that he is worth pursuing our development in. He came with big wraps from Barcelona, but I think that he has really failed to kick on at Cartagonova. His biggest asset is his pace, but I sometimes think that once he reaches the attacking third of the opponent, he has difficulty finding somebody with a good pass or cross. There are signs that he is maturing into a quality winger but time is fast running out for him.

Michel (28 y/o, ESP, AM L): 88(3) apps, 15 goals, 22 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rate: 7.32: An excellent acquisition for the club and he has continued to attract attention from other clubs. But he is in the peak of his powers at the moment, and I have no attention of letting go our best left-winger at the club. Quite possibly our most innately creative player, he doesn’t mind having a shot at goal when the opportunity presents itself. He was one of the better players last season and I hope that he can continue that form in the new year.

Keith O’Neill (28 y/o, IRE 24 caps, 4 goals, AM/F LC): 3(7) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.80: Has struggled to adapt to life in Spain and even with the influx of fellow Englishmen into the club over the summer, he still complains about the difficulty in particularly talking to his teammates. Not really going to command a regular first team spot and he may need to move elsewhere to find regular football. But he is a good player to bring off the bench as his blinding pace can cause his opponents plenty of trouble later in the game.

Oliver (25 y/o, ESP, AM L): 6(2) apps, 2 assists, av. rate: 7.13: Gee, if I didn’t have Michel at the club, I’d be very happy to have Oliver here instead. Possibly a more stereotypical winger in that he has a lot of pace and knows how to cross a ball into the box. But also like, for example, Ryan Giggs, he can slot a goal or two when he wants to – although he is yet to get off the mark in competitive fixtures for the club. He is willing to fight for his place in the team and given his talent and technique there is no reason why he won’t someday take over Michel’s position in the first eleven.

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (31 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 16(6) apps, 5 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rate: 7.50: Not likely to be playing that often from kick-off, but he still adds excellent value to the club’s fortunes when he comes off the bench and begins hitting those pinpoint passes to teammates. Also packs a mean set-piece shot and I’m sure plenty of goalkeepers will wish they were facing somebody else when he lines up from 20-30 yards out.

Forwards

Mauro Esposito (25 y/o, ITA 1 cap, AM/F LC): While he is capable of playing in midfield, I think that with his comparatively poor passing skills and high finishing and dribbling skills, he is better suited for playing in the front line along side Redondo. Not likely to command a starting eleven spot, at least this season, but I think that he will be very dangerous if I need to throw somebody into the mix towards the end of the game – and he has already shown that in the friendlies we’ve played so far this season.

Dennis Bergkamp (35 y/o, HOL 79 caps, 38 goals, AM/F C): Signed within a whisker of the closing of the transfer deadline for the summer months, Dennis is an important addition to the club. He brings bags of experience – almost 500 matches in a career spanning almost twenty seasons – and plenty of talent. He has kept himself in remarkably good shape and his exceptional ability will undoubtedly be useful to us in the long season ahead of us. Takes over the legendary role recently vacated by Iván Zamorano. I look at him in training and wish I could have signed him when he was 30 – he is still that good.

José Manuel Redondo (28 y/o, ESP, S C): 87 apps, 54 goals, 28 assists, 15 MoMs, av. rate: 7.99: I’m surprised that he wasn’t named in Spain’s squad for Euro 2004. He had a stellar first season in the Primera Liga with us, scoring 25 goals in the league and 28 overall. Won the Supporters’ Player of the Year award in consecutive seasons and if he remains fit, there is no reason why he won’t achieve the hat-trick of personal awards. An undeniably wonderful goalscoring record so far in his two seasons, but he also manages to set up other players for their goals, too. Without him, we wouldn’t have come close to finishing fourth in the league and reaching the Copa del Rey final. Definitely the talisman, and if there are plenty of fans wearing Morán’s number ‘10’ guernsey on their backs, there would be double the amount of fans wearing Redondo’s number ‘9’ on theirs. At 28, he should be reaching the pinnacle of his powers and I’m looking forward to seeing him smash home plenty of goals this season. Hopefully he can strike up the type of partnership with Kokmeijer that he did with Collymore over the last two seasons, but Redondo is the type of player I think who could work with just about anybody.

Neils Kokmeijer (24 y/o, HOL, S C): 1 app, 2 goals, av. rate: 9.00: Scoring a brace on your debut in a crunch fixture must go a long way to paying off a large chunk of that big transfer fee. It will no doubt help push the cynicism of the departure of Stan Collymore a little further away for all Cartagonova fans. To tell you the truth, I didn’t think I had made a good purchase because he did little in the friendlies to indicate his obvious talent – well, obvious when it came to playing Spartak Moskva.

Romário (38 y/o, BRA 76 caps, 54 goals, S C): Not likely to play this season, as I’m more interested in his coaching abilities rather than his diminishing playing talent.

Roberto Sosa (29 y/o, ARG, S C): 4(2) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.67: There isn’t much wrong that Roberto has done in his season with us, but I feel that he isn’t the player that I need to ensure success. Mainly his lack of pace is the big handicap that I don’t like. Further, adding his non-EU status to that problem then you can understand why I’m not likely to play him often this season. That’s not fair to the player, so he’s on the list (though he doesn’t like it). Has attracted some interest from his native Argentina, but not enough to set up the deal.

Next up, a brief preview of all twenty clubs in the Primera Liga for 2004/05!

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

For the last time this weekend!

So now that we’ve looked at my squad for the coming season, it’s time to briefly appraise the fortunes of the rival clubs in the Primera Liga. We’ll start with Alavés who, under Wim Jansen, have performed impressively over the past few seasons, despite being a small club struggling with poor finances. An entry into the Inter-Toto Cup should bring them success in that they lead St-Etienne by a goal in the final. Jansen has been unable to spend much money over the summer, but he has made some impressive captures, including the promising Polish full-back, Tomasz Wisio who joins compatriot Jerzy Dudek at the club. Scoring goals has been a problem for Alavés over the past few seasons and Jansen has tried to remedy that by bringing in a couple of experienced strikers. Unlikely to finish much higher than they did last season – a creditable 8th position – but should be a good bet for a mid-table finish.

Athletic Bilbao continues to stand by its policy of signing only Basque players this season and although the squad was good enough to win the league a couple of seasons ago, the sale of plenty of important players resulted in Bilbao finishing a lowly tenth last time out. But Luis Fernández has a couple of superstars in Joseba Etxeberría, who was undoubtedly the best player of Euro 2004, and Jorge Pérez, while the defence will be anchored by former Real Madrid player, Aitor Karanka. With Alkiza and Idiákez supporting the forwards, Athletic Bilbao could be looking at a top five finish this season.

Just six wins from 38 league matches is relegation form and indeed, Atlético Madrid was extremely lucky to escape the drop at the end of the season, finishing seventeenth by the skin of their teeth. The notorious president, Señor Jesús Gil, fired plenty of managers last season and there is no guarantee that Txetxu Rojo will last this season, either. There are no real stand-out players in the Atlético Madrid squad and a lot of the work will have to be carried out by Salva up forward. The manager has added some experience to the backline in ex-Alavés defender, Dan Eggen, who arrives on a Bosman free transfer. But there is little to indicate that this won’t be a long, long season for the long-suffering supporters.

Barcelona was extremely unlucky not to claim the league title from arch-rivals Real Madrid as they stormed home to the end of the season with a stunning run. In compensation, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer managed to guide his team to European Champions’ League success and in a thrilling match, overcame a 3-1 deficit to defeat Cartagonova 4-3 in the Copa del Rey. This season, the manager has concentrated on adding depth to the squad, but spending £12.75 million on Fabio Cannavaro seems to suggest that the manager knows that his defence is beginning to age. Xavi looks to be the logical successor to Guardiola, while Verón and Donati are just as important to the midfield as Rivaldo ever was. And in Patrick Kluivert, Barcelona possesses the most effective striker in Spain, not to mention Europe, and he is sure to continue his scintillating form in front of goal. There would be few who would bet against Barcelona adding the Primera Liga to its already glittering trophy cabinet by the season’s end.

Real Betis is a club that has lofty ambitions but its previous few seasons have not been up to scratch for its chairman, Señor Manuel Ruiz de Lopera. Bouncing between the top flight and the second division is not something that the chairman of the Seville-based club’s fans like, and it will be the job of Rafael Benítez to first stabilise the club and then build its glory back up to the heady days when the club boasted talent like Antonio Prats, Denílson, Alfonso, Oli and Finidi George. Defence should be Real Betis’ biggest asset, with David Rivas and Iván Campo in the centre. But Real Betis may struggle to break down their opponents, with only José Gálvez a truly recognisable forward. Betis has spent cautiously on the market so far, with transfers like Michael Ballack from Bayer Leverkusen and Youssef Chippo from Arsenal the only high-profile signatures.

Cartagonova surprised many with a magnificent first season in the Primera Liga last time out. Señor Dixie Flatline did well to guide his team to fourth place in the league and a shot at the Copa del Rey which ended in disappointment as Barcelona’s extra-time goal completed a remarkable comeback from 3-1 down to 4-3 victory. The biggest loss over the close-season is the mercurial Stan Collymore, who holds the all-time record for most league goals at the club. He formed a tremendous partnership with José Redondo over the last two seasons. It will be interesting to see how Flatline and his club will handle combining Champions’ League football with the pressures of domestic football. But he has shopped well on the transfer market over the summer, with Niels Kokmeijer, Jurica Vucko, Dennis Bergkamp and Kew Jaliens the pick of the bunch. Cartagonova should do well enough to escape relegation, but whether they can repeat last season’s remarkable results again is another matter.

Celta Vigo had a comparatively disappointing season last time around. They seemed on course for a Champions’ League place but in the end had to be satisfied with a spot in the UEFA Cup. The squad was severely disrupted by the unhappy Brazilian striker Edú who to the massive relief of every Celta fan, left the club in the summer for Borussia Dortmund. Víctor Fernández spent £7 million on bringing in new players, including defender Christian Wörns and Arthur Numan. But there have been no big signatures to add to the club’s roster and a lot of the flamboyant play will rest upon the shoulders of Uruguayan midfielder, Andrés Olivera, and strikers Benni McCarthy and Diego Ribera. Celta will be there and thereabouts, but whether they can take the next step and push themselves into a European Champions’ League spot at the end of the season is another question.

This time last season, there were serious questions being asked about the viability of Deportivo La Coruña as the club owed some huge debts. A new board took over the administration of the club and appointed Señor Miguel Ãngel Casquero to run the football side. He did a magnificent job despite needing to sell the club’s best players to clear the debts. Deportivo seemed on course to add to its trophy cabinet only to be overtaken by Real Madrid and Barcelona, but third spot at the end of the season was good enough to put themselves into the Champions’ League. But there are still debts to be cleared away, and that was the motivation behind the sale of Roy Makaay to Feyenoord over the summer. The spending has been rather cautious, with only the arrival of defender Boris from Real Oviedo making any type of headlines – he cost Deportivo £5.25 million. Most of Deportivo’s play will be channelled through Spanish international Juan Carlos Valerón, who hopes to feed veteran striker Turu Flores and star man Diego Tristán. Repeating last season’s achievements would be wonderful for the club, but a more realistic assessment of where they stand is a top six or seven finish.

Elche is a club looking to move up the ladder this season and as a result, Señor Asier De la Cruz has spent over £11.25 million on new players - £4.8 million goes to Hearts to capture attacking midfielder, Juanjo. But Elche has also strengthened the defence, with money spent on full-back Gianni Guigou, centre-half Iván Javier Cuadrado from Lens and £3 million on Oviedo’s goalkeeper Pedro José Dorronsoro. With only £750,000 recouped from the sale of players, the money spent by the manager represents a significant investment in squad strengthening and Elche’s fans will want to see a big improvement on last season’s 16th place. As usual, the goalscoring focus will be upon Argentine Pedro Guede and his partner in crime Nano, who has impressed in the pre-season friendlies. A mid-table finish is not beyond Elche this season, but the form-guide isn’t encouraging.

Last season, Espanyol struggled to make an impact upon the Primera Liga, eventually ending the campaign in a lowly 15th place. Still in shadows of cross-town rival, Barcelona, Espanyol struggles to attract high-profile players and Señor Ramón Díaz spent less than £7 million in the off-season, most of which went to Celta Vigo for midfielder Sergio. But the club is plagued by disharmony, mostly from the stars like captain Mauricio Pochettino, Martín Posse and Nacho, who all want improved contractual terms. It shapes up to be another difficult season for Espanyol and one wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the lower reaches of the table come the end of the season.

Málaga again supports the notion between the rich and the poor clubs in the Primera Liga with the manager, Señor Víctor Manuel García Ruiz being unable to spend a lot of money strengthening the squad. But the capture of Uruguayan international striker, Fabían O’Neill from Udinese should provide the firepower up forward to supplement Ismael and Ronald Gomez. Unfortunately, Málaga failed to qualify from the Inter-Toto Cup for the UEFA Cup, so it can completely focus on domestic success. In the last two seasons, Málaga has finished ninth in the league and there is certainly enough quality within the squad to achieve that result again. Finishing above that position, however, is less certain.

Juande Ramos needed to play the Bosman free transfer market rather cannily to improve his squad in the island resort club of Mallorca. But he has managed to add considerable experience to the squad, with players of the calibre like Jean-Paul van Gastel, Goran Djorovic, Mauricio Hector Pineda and Dietmar Kühbauer all joining the squad over the summer. But again, the focus of Mallorca’s play will be star striker Alberto Luque. Goals were difficult to come by last season as Mallorca only scored 35 in the league – one less than Patrick Kluivert’s personal tally for Barcelona. It might be difficult for Mallorca to finish in a European position at the end of the season.

Numancia finished first in the Segunda Liga last season, but a lack of influx of quality players to freshen the squad will worry the club’s fans that it may make a quick return to the second division. A lot will rest upon the shoulders of creative midfielder, Chilean international Clarence Acuña, while goalkeeper Ãlvaro Núñez may be facing a long and difficult season. The leading front-runner for relegation unless Numancia spends money on new players when the transfer window re-opens in the winter.

Osasuna defied the pundits last season to finish comfortably in mid-table’s eleventh place. Señor Miguel Ãngel Lotina has wasted no time spending money to strengthen the squad, bringing in proven performers like Finidi George from Mallorca, Albert Ferrer from Newcastle United and Pablo Coira from Celta Vigo. But a lot of the work last season was shouldered by the defence, which conceded just 44 goals in 38 league matches, and much the same will be expected from players like José Mateo and Ibán Pérez.

Archived