How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

20th of January 2004

Tomorrow’s opponent, Elche, is dead last in the division and for that failing, the Elche chairman fires his manager, Miguel Rubio. I like that! icon_biggrin.gif

21st of January 2004

Primera Liga - Game 20: Cartagonova v Elche

On a cool, dry evening in front of 17,964 fans we host the bottom side, Elche who is rudderless after sacking its manager just yesterday. It’s pretty much one-way traffic for the entire match but wouldn’t you know it? We can’t find that all-important breakthrough. It takes until 70 minutes to finally score when substitute Paulo Miranda scores his first goal for the club with a fierce shot that cannons into the top corner of the Elche net. That’ll do us, but we should have done better.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ballesteros, Tetteh; Oliver, Couto ©, Rufete (Miranda 62); Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Elche (5-3-1-1): Mora ©; Matito, Hélder, Manusovich (Chico 54), Sarasúa, Xavi Roca; Isach, Solaun, José Manuel; Toñito (Guiberguis 48); Nino.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Elche

MoM - Koldo Sarasúa

This is the ladder after the twentieth game in the league:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

23rd of January 2004

Javier Margas agrees terms with Recreativo. That’s nice.

A double blow strikes the club during afternoon training as Collymore bruises a rib challenging for a ball in a practice match while Iván Vidal’s stuttering season takes a turn for the worse when he twists his knee also in the same match. icon_mad.gif The goalkeeper will miss three weeks, while Collymore is doubtful for the weekend encounter with Tenerife.

Former Real Betis manager Fernando Vázquez is poached by Real Vallodolid from Sevilla to guide the club away from relegation. Good luck to him, I say!

25th of January 2004

Primera Liga - Game 21: Cartagonova v Tenerife

Three games in a week means there are some pretty tired bodies going around this Sunday morning, and I sit in my office musing over the first eleven. Eventually I manage to shuffle the deck enough to come up with eleven fairly fit players for the positions and I send them out onto the park hoping that we can do slightly better than we did against Elche last Wednesday. It takes us 27 minutes but we do break down Tenerife’s defence - Redondo is the provider for Michel and the winger snares his third goal of the season with a nice half-volley on the left foot. On 33 minutes, Redondo’s hot shot is too much for Ojeda to handle and from Rufete’s corner, the referee spots Mexican international right-back Omar Rodriguez fouling José Redondo. Despite the protests of Tenerife’s player, he points to the spot and the Cartagonova striker confidently puts it past Ojeda for a 2-0 lead.

We escape dropping a goal when Arnau recovers quickly enough to palm away Pedro Rafael Ojeda’s shot and then jump on the rebound before Chispa Delgado can get the ball to the unmarked Nan Ribera. We go through the motions in the second half which is enlivened only when Redondo’s goal on 76 minutes is ruled out for off-side. Tenerife finally comes alive properly inside the last ten minutes with Moisés and Pier testing Arnau with rasping drives.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Arnau; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 72), Ãlvarez, Tetteh; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Esnáider (Gabrich 72).

Tenerife (4-4-2: Marcelo Ojeda ©; Alexis, Moisés, David Charcos, Rodriguez; Hugo Morales, Torrado, Lussenhoff, Nan Ribera (Dani 53); Pedro Rafael Ojeda (Pier 53), Chispa Delgado.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Tenerife

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

27th of January 2004

“Hey, guv’nor! Get in here! José is being interviewed on Sky!†So hollers Luis Sosa as I sit in my office after a hard day’s work casually sipping on a glass of scotch whiskey and reviewing training notes. I put the glass down, swing my legs off the chair and walk over to Sosa’s office. I see Richard Keys interviewing our star striker who I remember now asked for an early night from training to do this interview.

Richard asks him, “Well, José, you’ve had a terrific season so far - 15 goals in 21 league matches, 17 in 24. And you’ve been generous with sharing the spoils, because you’ve created six more goals. What do you put this down to?â€

“I’d have to say that my teammates have been excellent setting up the chances just the way I like and I’ve been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to knock them in,†says a modest Redondo. But Richard, the great journalist he is, presses the question, “But surely the manager must have something to do with it, doesn’t he?â€

“Of course, Richard. Señor Flatline appreciates the value of a good striker and he spends a lot of time patiently instructing the team on making the right pass to feed myself and Stan. Plus we have coaches like Enzo Francescoli and Romário, who were great strikers in their day. How can I not help but become a good striker with coaching from these three?â€

“So you would put down your great form to your manager?†asks Richard. José pauses a moment, as coached by our media liason officer, before answering, “Yes. I’d have to say that Señor Flatline has had a great influence on the development of my career. Two seasons ago, I was languishing in Deportivo’s ‘B’ side before I came to Cartagonova. Now people are talking about me being called up to Spain’s side. In my bedroom I have a Segunda Liga championship medal. I wouldn’t have been able to achieve all that without the influence of the manager. He has backed me all along the way and I’m glad I’ve been able to repay his faith so far. And of course, I want to continue doing that.â€

“What is your partnership with Stan Collymore like? He has openly said he wants to return to England. Does the fact that he has publicly made his feelings clear about your club and Spain in general make you play differently when the manager picks him?â€

“No, Richard,†says Redondo slowly. “Stan and I are both professionals and we have a job to do. If the manager thinks that the club can succeed with both of us playing up front together, then we’ll do our best to work with each other. It wouldn’t be fair on the club, the players and the supporters if we didn’t work together. I have no problem with Stan and I hope he has no problem with me.â€

“And your future, José?â€

“Well, Richard, right now I’m concentrating on scoring goals for Cartagonova. We’re sitting in third on the ladder right now and I want to help consolidate our league position. Plus we’re still in the Copa del Rey and I think it would be marvellous for the fans and the club if we could continue our good run in that competition. Beyond this season is something I haven’t really considered, but I want to make it clear that I’m very happy at the club and I haven’t even thought of making a move.â€

“Have you given any thought to representing Spain?†asked Richard. Redondo replies, “Well, it is always a footballer’s dream to play for his country and I’m no different. If the chance to play for Spain befalls me, then I’ll play with honour and pride in the shirt I wear.â€

“Thank you very much for your time, José,†says Richard, obviously receiving the wind-up from the producer. Redondo smiles and says, “It’s been a pleasure.â€

It certainly has!

28th of January 2004

Copa del Rey - Quarter-Final, 1st leg: Real Oviedo v Cartagonova

Today’s opponent lies in 15th position in the Segunda Liga, but looking at the history books reveals that we have defeated Oviedo twice, but it has also defeated us twice, including a victory against us on the last day of the season. Emmanuel Petit has not been able to achieve the dream of promotion, but he is still a very important player to the side and the former Uruguayan international striker Juan González is still a dangerous striker. Boris has matured into a class defender and I think that Oviedo can still cause us some problems. I instruct Couto to closely mark Petit out of the game, while the defenders are meant to take care of Oviedo’s strikers.

Redondo tries to beat Dorronsoro early in the match but the keeper is equal to the task. On 17 minutes, the ball ping-pongs around our penalty box but we’re desperate enough to stop an Oviedo player having a clear shot at goal. Couto gives away a free kick just a moment later, though, and Petit almost gives his side the decisive break but for the fingertips of Arnau. Morán is the next man to test Dorronsoro with a rasping drive on 27 minutes. Then Ballesteros takes Lacruz’s pass in his stride and advancing far down the field, he breaks into the box but Dorronsoro manages to put his hands on the drive. The second half is a quieter affair with González’s shot the only chance until the last five minutes when Filipescu and Michel have chances but can’t break through.

Real Oviedo (4-2-2-2): Dorronsoro ©; Boris, Roteta, Rasovic, Helio; Iván Ania, Petit, Pulido (Geni 66), Amieva (Lourenço 86); Juan González, Roman (Foggarty 58).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Arnau; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Real Oviedo 0:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Pedro José Dorronsoro

31st of January 2004

In an attempt to boost its attempt to reel in the rampant Fiorentina, Parma has signed Real Madrid and Portuguese midfielder Luis Figo for £17.75 million.

1st of February 2004

Primera Liga - Game 22: Real Vallodolid v Cartagonova

We back up after our Copa del Rey game with a visit to Vallodolid to play the 19th-placed club. Filipescu’s suspension means Ballesteros moves into the centre of defence with Moya taking over at right-back. Gabriel Heinze makes his debut in place of the tired Lacruz. Oliver, given a huge recommendation by assistant manager Luis Sosa during the week, replaces the unfit Michel on the left of midfield. As expected, we easily control this match and Redondo makes it 1-0 on 39 minutes with his 16th goal of the season. If he was a little more accurate, we probably would have had more, but I’m happy with the 1-0 result which keeps us in third place. Our opponent has one shot at goal all day and Arnau does well to keep his concentration to stop it going in.

Real Vallodolid (4-4-2): César; Marcos, Herrero, Peña ©, Ibarra; Zapata, Juan Gómez (Bodipo 68), Doriva, Colusso; Pizzi, Guerrero (Vicente 68).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Arnau; Heinze, Ballesteros, Ãlvarez, Moya; Couto ©; Oliver, Rufete (Miranda 72); Morán; Redondo, Collymore (Gabrich 72).

Final score: Real Vallodolid 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - César

On the way back to Cartagena, I’m told that our match with Celta Vigo has been shifted to 28th of February for live television coverage. Peachy! icon_smile.gif

4th of February 2004

Copa del Rey - Quarter Final, 2nd round: Cartagonova v Real Oviedo

After drawing 0-0 in Oviedo, we’re exposed to the sucker punch from our opponent, so I drill the defenders on the importance of closely marking their opposite strikers. I would like to rest José Redondo for this match, but I quite like our run in the Cup, so he has to pull on the boots one more time. And it is the master blaster who opens the scoring on 15 minutes when Cañizares and Oliver combine to create the opportunity for him. Six minutes later, Cañizares plays a brilliant through-ball into the path of Ismael Ruiz and the debutante marks his first appearance with our second goal for the game. It forces Emmanuel Petit, on the sidelines today after picking up an automatic suspension, into a tactical rethink. They set about attacking Francesc Arnau’s goal with renewed gusto, but the ex-Barcelona keeper is on fire today and won’t let them have even a sighter. On 28 minutes, we grab the sealer when Gustavo Cañizares reminds me of his talent when he caps his day with a brilliant goal from the edge of the area. Oviedo tries hard to peg back the deficit, but Arnau’s defiant attitude preserves the clean sheet and we move into the semi-finals! icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Arnau; Heinze (Lacruz 63), Filipescu ©, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Oliver, Ismael Ruiz, Cañizares; Miranda; Redondo (Gabrich 83), Collymore.

Real Oviedo (5-3-1-1): Dorronsoro ©; Docando, Roteta, Boris, Soria (Jarni 21), Helio (Iván Ania 30); Pulido, Geni, Dani Borreguero; Juan González; Luís Lourenço.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Real Oviedo

Aggregate: Cartagonova 3:0 Real Oviedo

MoM - Francesc Arnau

Iulian Filipescu picked up a yellow card in the last match which automatically rules him out for the semi-final. icon_frown.gif Gabriel Heinze damaged a foot in the second half which keeps him out for ten days just when he was beginning to put together a good claim for staying in the first eleven.

The game sets two records for us. First, it is the highest gate receipts in my three and a bit seasons at the club, while it is our twelfth straight unbeaten game in all competitions, eclipsing the run of eleven unbeaten games set in my very first season.

8th of February 2004

Primera Liga - Game 23: Cartagonova v Extremadura

We’re searching for our fifth victory in a row in the Primera Liga and there is no better team than Extremadura to notch it up against. We get some help when tough defender Rafael Berges needs to be substituted just 120 seconds into the match. We begin the celebrations when Rufete heads Michel’s cross into the net, but the video shows that the winger is slightly off-side. It’s a tight call but we don’t anything to complain about. However, step up José Redondo on 11 minutes to crash home our first goal and his twentieth this season! On 28 minutes, he dances his way through the porous Extremadura defence but his drive thunders into the post rather than into the back of the net. From Rufete’s corner a few moments later, Filipescu tests the reflexes of Belgian keeper Ronny Gaspercic with a wicked header. Finally on 38 minutes, the Michel-Rufete combination does pay dividends as the former provides the cross for the latter to volley into the net! icon_biggrin.gif Extremadura tries hard in the second half, but Arnau again defies the attackers to earn himself another clean sheet bonus. The way he is going, he will face off against his old club in a week.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Arnau; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Extremadura (3-5-2): Gaspercic; Mata, Luis López ©, Koldo Arce; Berges (Duré 2), Etcheverry, Ayhan (Iván 76), Mild, Robert (Dubecz 24); Lobo, Karanka.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Extremadura

10th of February 2004

Staggering into the office after another great night celebrating my birthday yesterday, I find that an offer I made for Southampton’s Kevin Gibbons, a DM C, is accepted. Fortunately, I already have the contract offer organised so I put it through the fax machine for him to have a gander at. I have competition from Brentford, which is on course for promotion from the second division in England.

11th of February 2004

By the evening it is a done deal. The English defensive midfielder Kevin Gibbons will join the club when the Spanish transfer window opens on the 17th of June. He should be a good long-term replacement for Couto and Fernández.

12th of February 2004

The media is salivating currently over the prospect of Barcelona gaining revenge for the 2-0 victory we dished out to them earlier in the season. As a result of this focus upon the weekend’s star match, they begin to speculate upon whether we can maintain our form and mount some sort of a challenge to the title! icon_eek.gif I have to truthfully say that we’re not in the hunt for the title at this stage, though finishing inside the top ten ( icon_wink.gif ) would be a good result for the club in its first season in the Primera Liga. Trouble is, my forthright response to the media gets me into hot water with both the supporters (capricious bunch!) and the chairman who roundly castigates me for my pessimistic outlook on the club’s chances. Well, excuse me, but I don’t think we’re capable of taking points out of the Nou Camp, Bernabau Stadium, La Riazor or the Mestalla just yet and if we can’t defeat the tenants of those stadiums then we don’t deserve the title.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline icon_cool.gif

Haha, I didn't notice that the first time around. Maybe someday we'll see this:

Real Valladolid

In:

None

Out:

The chairman

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

Please forgive this baffling break in the updates from the south of Spain. My computer was put in for repair at the end of July and a stunning run of bad luck has conspired to keep it from me for three weeks at least. Hopefully I'll have it back next week and I can pick up from where I left off. icon_frown.gificon_redface.gif

Bouquets to Raptor and Kazema for writing something nice about the story! icon_biggrin.gif Brickbats to a major computer hardware company for building inferior products. icon_mad.gif

Dixie Flatline

Thanks guys for your messages of support. But you won't believe what I was told by this company yesterday. I'm not going to get my computer back until the start of September because the part needed to repair my computer will not reach Australia until the end of August! icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_eek.gif I am furious about this and I will be writing a strongly worded letter to them over the weekend.

Trying to keep the chin up...

Dixie

Thank you B.E. Gaity! icon_biggrin.gif Are you the person I think you are?! icon_wink.gif

Anyhow, the good news is that I have commandeered another computer from the family, installed CM onto it, have played another game and I have written about it! icon_biggrin.gif

So, here we go! icon_biggrin.gif

Like the phoenix, I rise from the ashes of a dying computer to return!

15th of February 2004

Primera Liga - Game 24: Barcelona v Cartagonova

“…Cartagonova began the season like a house on fire but the biggest result was when Barcelona came to the Estadio Municipal de Cartegena expecting to put the upstarts in their place and reassert the dominance Barcelona has enjoyed in the competition recently. They left Cartagena with their tails between their legs as goals to Fernando Couto and Stan Collymore gave Cartagonova the upset victory. Since then, Barcelona has struggled to juggle Champions’ League commitments, participation in the World Club Championship and the Copa del Rey with their Primera Liga matches and have not been able to rise above seventh. In contrast, Cartagonova enjoyed a long run at the top of the ladder and are on course for a European spot next season in third place. But today is the biggest test of their character as Señor Flatline brings his players to the Nou Camp for today’s match of the day, Barcelona versus Cartagonova…â€

“… Well, Andy, we could hardly believe when Barcelona came out with a defensive formation when they visited Cartagena earlier in the season and they paid the price for it as they left too much to do to Kluivert and were punished by sheer opportunism by Cartagonova. You couldn’t imagine Señor Ferra Serrer making the same mistake again?â€

“No, Martin. Barcelona haven’t lost at home this season so far, and I can’t see Cartagonova providing the upset for the second time this season. To be sure, Señor Flatline has assembled a consistent squad illuminated by the skills of José Redondo, but when you pit them against the players at Señor Ferra Serrer’s disposal, like Rivaldo, Kluivert, Alfonso, Verón, de la Peña and Dani, you’d think that they would have the measure of today’s opponents.â€

“But Barcelona’s weakness is their defence, isn’t it?†asks Martin Tyler. Andy Gray responds, “Yes, I don’t think that Lilian Thuram has been the player he used to be, while Abelardo is functioning on old legs, Reiziger isn’t the player he should have become, while Pablo Paz is unhappy for various reasons. Antonio Prats has displaced Dutruel in goal and I would say he is the best goalkeeper never to play for Spain, but he is a new factor in the Barcelona defence.â€

“Yet Cartagonova relies heavily on Redondo to provide the goals. Shut him down and you shut down Cartagonova?†inquires Martin. Andy says, “Well, Redondo is a class striker with all the skills to make it into the Spanish squad, I’d say. Seventeen goals from 23 league matches against some of the best club defences in the world attests to his talent and he has a capable partner in Stan Collymore. It would be difficult for Barcelona to keep both of them quiet, because so many others have found it difficult. I think the key to today’s match is the attitude that Barcelona brings to it.â€

“Well, we’re just about to kick off here in the Nou Camp with over 80,000 in attendance today. We’ll run through the teamsheets on the other side of the break. Stay with us…â€

We begin the match brightly with Morán testing Prats with a stinging shot on 11 minutes, but three minutes later we concede a sloppy goal as Gerard finds Alfonso unmarked and the ex-Real Betis striker pounds it into the net. icon_frown.gif But we’re dancing on the sidelines when Rufete’s exquisite cross is converted by Morán… Then disaster as the referee rules that Morán was off-side when Rufete played the ball. It sets us back on our heels and Barcelona takes advantage as Sergi reaches the by-line before cutting it back for Dani to launch a thunderous drive past ex-Barcelona keeper Francesc Arnau. icon_mad.gif It takes us some time to regain our equanimity but to my happiness, we do test Prats with three close chances in the last five minutes of the game only to enter the break 2-0 down.

I tell the players they’ve done well and that they shouldn’t worry about the scoreboard. Barcelona’s players seem a little unsure of themselves and if we keep up the pressure we’ll be rewarded. On 67 minutes, with little created however, I gamble by taking off Michel and Morán for Miranda and Esnáider respectively. Miranda sets up the chance for Redondo who had been well held by the centre-halves of Barcelona but his flashing header is well plucked out of the air by Prats. Yet when Gerard fouls Miranda a couple of moments later, Filipescu drives the free kick beneath the wall into the bottom right corner of Prats’ net! It’s a lifeline, and we have three superb chances to rescue a well-earned point. But Prats earns his wage to deny Esnáider, Lacruz and Collymore in a 60 second bombardment. At least we can walk out of the Nou Camp with our heads held high and Señor Ferra Serrer offers me his hand with a relieved smile on his face. He knew that Barcelona escaped with the points today.

Barcelona (4-3-1-2): Prats; Sergi, Pablo Paz, Abelardo, Reiziger (Varela 51); Verón (Nano 64), Gerard ©, Donati (Puyol 58); De la Peña; Alfonso, Dani.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Arnau; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel (Miranda 67), Rufete; Morán (Esnáider 67); Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Barcelona 2:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Fernando Manuel Couto

20th of February 2004

We escape Barcelona in the semi-final draw of the Copa del Rey. Instead, we start our campaign for reaching the final with a visit to El Molinón to play Sporting Gijón in the first leg on the 14th of April. The unfortunate Celta Vigo is the unlucky club to have to make the trip to the Nou Camp. We’ve done the league double over Sporting this season so I feel fairly confident that we can reach the Copa del Rey final, but I’m keeping that confidence to myself at this point in time.

22nd of February 2004

Primera Liga - Game 25: Cartagonova v Atlético Madrid

After our gallant but losing effort against Barcelona we need to raise our tempo for the match against today’s opponent which is looking for more points to escape relegation. As usual we control the early portion of the match and eventually we are rewarded when Rufete ghosts down the right with the ball at his feet before he crosses into the box where Redondo is waiting to latch onto it. The big striker, kept quiet last weekend, unloads a powerful header the shoots into the top corner and we have the lead on 26 minutes! Redondo and Collymore test Toni shortly after but that wraps it up for the first half. The Englishman also sends a shot whizzing into the fingertips of Toni early in the second half but after that we decide to sit back and defend the lead, in complete ignorance of my instructions. icon_mad.gif Filipescu is the chief offender and after he gives away a freekick once too often I drag him. Atlético Madrid keeps the ball in our half for the rest of the game and just when I think we’re going to escape, Serban’s exquisite pass is converted well by Fagiani to earn Atlético a well-earned point. I’m furious with this result as only Vidal, Rufete, Redondo and Collymore turned up to play. The rest were on holidays. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 64), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán (Esnáider 64); Redondo, Collymore.

Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Toni; Santis, Gaspar (Samuel 63), Santi ©, Manuel Pablo (Gerard 86); Lardín (Fagiani 74), Drasim, Serban, Córcoles; Artigas, Borja.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Atlético Madrid

28th of February 2004

Primera Liga - Game 26: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

Our high-flying exploits in our first season in the Primera Liga means we have the opportunity to further our supporter base with a live on TV affair against the holders of the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Cup, Celta Vigo. Today’s opponent is just three points and two places behind us, so a good performance is imperative in order to hold onto the top three spot. So when Diego Ribera reacts quickest to Ballesteros’ tackle on Mullor to fire truly past Vidal after just four minutes, I’m quickly on the touchline barking instructions to my players. We regroup quickly enough to have Morán rattle the post with a powerful blast two minutes later while on 13 minutes, Redondo’s pass allows Michel to thunder a drive at goal but Laínez manages to push it aside for a corner that Rufete can’t make good use of. Celta seems to be content to sit back and defend, and that’s just an invitation for José Redondo and our most valuable player makes good use of the havoc wrought by Filipescu’s run at the heart of Celta’s defence to drive a shot past Laínez on 34 minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

Just before half-time, Collymore unleashes a rocket at the top corner, but Laínez does well to knock it away from goal. Then Morán hobbles off with an injury and the referee waits just long enough for Esnáider to take his place on the pitch before blowing his whistle for half-time. We continue to dominate the second half, but inaccuracy costs us the opportunity of taking all three points and in the end, Celta could count themselves unfortunate not to snatch the winner too with some of their shots going close. To make matters worse, Filipescu plays poorly and is substituted while Ãlvarez picks up two yellow cards for his second red card of the season. icon_mad.gif

Celta Vigo (1-2-5-2): Laínez; Quique Ãlvarez, Sergio ©; Roger, Mullor (Astrada 83), Sergio (Jesuli 66), Vágner, Coira; McCarthy, Diego Ribera.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 61), Óscar Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel, Rufete; Morán (Esnáider 46); Redondo, Collymore (Cristian Ãlvarez 75).

Final score: Celta Vigo 1:1 Cartagonova

Official warnings are dished out to Filipescu and Óscar Ãlvarez while I consider what I’m going to do in the next few weeks. Filipescu’s sudden loss of form is baffling after he had been the Rock of Gibraltar at the heart of our defence, while Ãlvarez’s undesirable tendency to lose his head is starting to become a liability. Further, Morán’s name is ruled out for a month with a calf strain. To make things worse, Valencia has the opportunity to take third place from us with a comfortable home match against Alavés at the Mestalla tomorrow.

5th of March 2004

Ajax completes today the transfer of Brazilian international Zé Roberto from Juventus for a staggering £22 million. The 29 year old only joined the ‘Old Lady’ of Turin at the start of the season and appeared 12(1) times after spending a season with Liverpool. He began his career with local club Portuguesa and spent an unhappy time with Real Madrid before making his name at Bayer Leverkusen. The Brazilian joined Liverpool for £15.5 million in time for the 2002/03 season, but Liverpool’s decline meant that he was soon on his way. Juventus gain a profit of £9.5 million on the winger.

6th of March 2004

We tumble to fifth as Barcelona defeats Villarreal 2-1 to continue its acceleration up the ladder. The Catalans club is making good use of its games in hand after its participation in the World Club Championship. We need to defeat Athletic Bilbao at home tomorrow to move back up the ladder.

7th of March 2004

Primera Liga - Game 27: Cartagonova v Athletic Bilbao

Three points is imperative today if we are to continue our push for Champions’ League football. Valencia visits bottom-placed Elche while Barcelona has turned up the pressure on both of us. However, in front of a passionately partisan home crowd, we are in complete control in the early stages and we deserve the 23rd minute lead when Couto pounces on the rebound from Redondo’s shot to tuck away his second goal of the season. But we’re not content to sit back on a 1-0 lead so when Couto tees up Esnáider for an easy goal to finish off a great team move on 32 minutes, we’re dancing on the sidelines. Only one minute before half-time does Athletic Bilbao have its first opportunity when Kaiku breaks free of our defence. Thankfully his drive lifts over the bar as Moya puts the pressure on him. After a jovial break full of laughs and good spirits, we come out to continue the onslaught and when I bring off the tiring Esnáider for Miranda, the latter Argentine makes his push for a starting spot absolutely clear because he plays a brilliant one-two with Rufete to make it 3-0 on 75 minutes. That almost kills off Bilbao, but not quite as Vidal needs to be on his toes to break up a Basque attack. But we’re too good on the night and it’s three points well-deserved. Since Elche holds Valencia to a 0-0 draw, we go back to third on the ladder.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ballesteros, Moya; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Esnáider (Miranda 75); Redondo, Collymore.

Athletic Bilbao (5-1-2-1-2): Valencia; Larrazábal, Karanka, Carlos García, Larraínzar, Óskar Vales (Chema 66); Roberto Ríos, Jorge Pérez; Alkiza (Felipe 73); Etxeberria ©, Kaiku.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Athletic Bilbao

MoM - Iván Vidal

Our night is capped when news filters through from Nicagarua that Cristian Ãlvarez helped El Salvador to a 2-1 victory over their CONCACAF rivals. Ãlvarez put the Salvadorans on their way with his first international goal after 16 minutes.

8th of March 2004

I lose Roberto Sosa for a month as he strains a groin in a five-on-five practice match in training this evening. I get the physios to take immediate care of him, because he can be useful in sticking the ball in the net.

I also notice some strange faces at the fences intently looking at Michel. I despatch a couple of the security guards to show them the exit from the training facilities. They return to inform me that the strangers were scouts from Real Betis checking out the winger. Hmm.

9th of March 2004

Some big victories are recorded in the Champions League with Barcelona thrashing Galatasaray 4-1 at the Nou Camp. Three goals were scored in the opening eleven minutes and not even the dismissal of Abelardo after 15 minutes could stop Barcelona recording a big victory. Kluivert added the fourth in the second half while Erhan’s goal was nothing more than a consolation. PSV Eindhoven dished out the same punishment to Borussia Dortmund in Eindhoven. Broerse, Guzman and van Nistelrooy had PSV cruising after 17 minutes, while Theo Lucius put the game beyond doubt with the Dutch’s fourth goal on 40 minutes. Edmundo’s second-half strike wasn’t enough.

Goals to Joe Cole and Cristian Bardaro were enough to put Fiorentina over Roma 3-1 in Florence. Real Madrid were barely threatened by a weak Spurs side in Madrid as the Spaniards cruised to a 3-0 victory.

11th of March 2004

I’m informed in the morning that Ivory Coast international midfielder Bonaventure Kalou has decided to move to France to join Laval rather than try his luck in Spain with us. Too bad.

12th of March 2004

More bad news this week as Fernando Couto goes down with a badly bruised shin that will keep him out of the side that travels to Zaragoza on Sunday. icon_frown.gif

13th of March 2004

On the eve of our match with Zaragoza there is good news for Iulian Filipescu and Keith O’Neill as both are called up to represent their countries – Romania and Ireland respectively.

14th of March 2004

Primera Liga – Game 28: Real Zaragoza v Cartagonova

Today it is fourteenth versus third on the ladder, but our opponent may well be difficult to break down at home. With a couple of important players out of the side, we’re also not at full strength, so I’m happy to see Stan Collymore give us the lead on 16 minutes in his 99th league game for the club! Esnáider is looking dangerous and he threads the ball through the Zaragoza defence to find the Englishman who finishes the job expertly. But Real Zaragoza’s forwards are punching holes through the defence all too easily and they quickly regain control of the match. After some industrious work on the edge of our box they are finally rewarded moments before half-time when Placente and Sixto Peralta combine to tee up Ferrón and the defender doesn’t miss. icon_mad.gif It’s a poor way to end the half and I hammer home to the defenders that we need to keep the opponent at bay in the second interval. They do their job slightly better than in the first half but Real Zaragoza continue to hammer away while keeping our forwards very quiet. Vidal needs to make a great last minute save to deny Acuña and I’m feeling relieved to drive out of Zaragoza with at least a point this afternoon.

Real Zaragoza (4-4-2): Mora; Placente, Jusué, Paco, Ferrón; Peralta, Garitano ©, Acuña, Rodriguez (Aragón 91); Peternac, Iván Rosado

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez (Ismael Ruiz 69), Moya; Ballesteros; Michel, Rufete (Miranda 69); Esnáider; Redondo, Collymore

Final score: Real Zaragoza 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM – Paco

Keeping smiling! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Top class story, Dixie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You may have noticed that I am back managing in Spain with little old Villarreal - how are they doing in your game?

Only a quick update today!

Some more good news for the coffers as the Spanish FA informs me that our match at home with Villarreal is shifted to a viewer-friendly time to permit the live telecast of the big game!

My former assistant manager Trobiani resigns as manager of Gandía, the second club he has tried to manage after he left Cartagonova.

17th of March 2004

Bitter news before our weekend clash with Deportivo as the physios force me to rule a line through Iulian Filipescu’s name. He bruises a thigh in the evening training drills and he won’t be right for ten days. Add his name to the fact that Couto is doubtful to come up in time then we’re going to look more than a little short in defence come Sunday. icon_frown.gif

But there is better news for Javier Margas and Iván Zamorano as Chile calls up the two veterans for the World Cup qualifier against Peru in a fortnight.

20th of March 2004

Primera Liga – Game 29: Cartagonova v Deportivo La Coruña

“… Both clubs today have plenty to play for in the Match of the Day from Spain, live on Sky Sports 3. Deportivo is looking to recapture top spot from Real Madrid and I’m sure that Señor Casquero will be drilling his players on the importance of getting that early goal and knocking Cartagonova off balance. But on the flip side, Señor Flatline knows that with games beginning to seriously run out, he can consolidate a position inside the top four at the very least if his players can defeat an all-season frontrunner. But Cartagonova is going to have its work cut out with Filipescu and Morán both definitely missing while Couto, despite passing a late fitness test, expected to only sit on the substitutes’ bench this afternoon. We can see banners unfurled by the Cartagonova faithful congratulating Stan Collymore on being the first player to reach 100 league appearances for the club, and they are entreating him not to return to England at the end of the season.â€

“It has been a fairly even first half here at Cartagena in front of an almost capacity crowd. Deportivo started the strongest and its reward came on the 20th minute with Mista turning Moya and Ballesteros inside out before thumping a dipping, swerving shot away from the diving Vidal into the back of the Cartagonova net. But some of that famous fighting spirit materialised and with Esnáider pulling the strings from midfield, Cartagonova began to rain shots down on José Molina’s goal. The Spanish international kept up the pace against the barrage but right on half time, Esnáider picked out Redondo and the striker notched up his 20th league goal of the season. The second half is right on the other side of the break…â€

“… Well, in an amazing second half of attacking football, Cartagonova marked Stan Collymore’s 100th league match for the club in style, scoring four goals to completely obliterate Deportivo 5-1! The rout started when Esnáider slid the ball through the static Deportivo defence to find the unmarked Rufete and the winger easily converted the opportunity on 48 minutes. Then nine minutes later, Rufete was on hand to pick up the rebound from Redondo’s shot and suddenly Deportivo was looking decidedly shaky. Looking to kill time, Señor Flatline made two changes on 85 minutes, with Michel and Esnáider – both enjoying good games – being replaced by O’Neill and Miranda respectively. But Redondo turned provider a minute later, forcing his way to the by-line before cutting it back for Collymore to mark his 100th league appearance with his 50th goal in all competitions for the club. Then when César fouled Redondo, up stepped Collymore to thunder home a wicked free kick with just two minutes on the clock!â€

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Heinze, Moya, Ãlvarez, Lacruz; Michel (O’Neill 85), Ballesteros, Rufete; Esnáider (Miranda 85); Redondo, Collymore.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-1-2-1-2): Molina; André Luiz (Valerón 69), César, Amaya ©, Leo Ramos; Emerson; Mario, Víctor (Capdevila 69); Mista; Turu Flores, Diego Tristán.

Final score: Cartagonova 5:1 Deportivo La Coruña

MoM – Stan Collymore

Well, it was an amazing match, and I’m still having butterflies just thinking about that second half! I think I could go another thousand days and not see us perform so perfectly like we did in that half! Everything came together and Deportivo had no answers! Everybody from the chairman to the kit manager is ecstatic about this match and with another home game on Wednesday week, where we should have Filipescu, Couto and Morán back to full fitness, we’re looking good to finish top four and nab a Champions’ League spot! Unbelievable but true! icon_biggrin.gif Lacruz, Rufete and Collymore make the starting eleven of the team of the week, while Redondo sits on the bench.

24th of March 2004

We drop to fourth after Barcelona claims all three points from Deportivo in a mid-week fixture that is a catch-up game for both clubs. Kluivert scored the only goal in the second half.

Keep smiling! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

The long drama of Cartagonova picks up again!

25th of March 2004

The contract of my trusty, capable right hand man, Luis Sosa, enters its last three months, so I call him into my office to make him an officially sanctioned offer to renew his contract with us. But the Uruguayan gets an attack of the ‘Brian Kidd’ something shocking and wants more money than even the highest paid player is on to remain at the club for another three years. We can’t afford to break the bank even over a member of my back-room so it looks like I’ll be spending summer not watching Euro 2004 from Portugal, but rather hunting for a new assistant. Then again, I must just promote Enzo Francescoli to the role. Either way, I’m fine.

26th of March 2004

Some good news on the injury front as the physios clear Iulian Filipescu to rejoin full training ahead of next week’s match against Málaga.

27th of March 2004

Club football takes a back seat to international friendlies played throughout the countries of Europe. Here’s the pick of the results: A second-half goal from Ray Parlour gave England victory over Croatia at the revamped Wembley Stadium in front of 56,000 people. The Arsenal midfielder latched onto the wonderful cross from Ispwich’s Matt Taylor to tuck away a simple finish. Holland’s preparations for Euro 2004 stayed on track this weekend after Louis van Gaal continued unabated as the Dutch defeated the lacklustre Germany 2-0 in the Amsterdam Arena. An early goal from Ajax’s Theo Janssen was complemented by a late strike from Juventus’ combative midfielder, Edgar Davids, but the Dutch were superior for the entire 90 minutes.

Italy and France went toe to toe in Rome’s Olimpico stadium in front of more than 71,000 supporters and they were treated to a classic football encounter. The Italians took the lead on 15 minutes thanks to Filippo Inzaghi’s spectacular bicycle kick from Stefano Fiore’s cross, but France’s veteran captain Lilian Thuram equalised right on half-time as he thumped home Patrick Viera’s sizzling through-ball. But an intense period of pressure from the Azzurri was well rewarded on 70 minutes as Inzaghi again converted Fiore’s perfect pass to make the score 2-1 on the night.

In Oslo, Denmark was no match for a rampant Norway as Manchester United’s Ronny Johnsen led his men to a 4-0 victory – goals to Chelsea’s Tore Andre Flo, West Ham’s Thorstein Helstad and Bayern München’s Christer George (2) completed the rout.

I was at the Nou Camp to watch Spain and the Czech Republic collide and an early goal to HSV’s Marek Heinz settled the contest as both sides struggled to break down each other’s defence. But Pavel Nedved should have scored a penalty in the second half yet his shot was saved by Villarreal’s shot-stopper Javier López Vallejo.

On a personal note, Keith O’Neill played half an hour as Ireland defeated Austria 2-1 at Landsdowne Road. Arsenal’s new sensation Graham Barrett kept up his terrific international scoring rate with his fifth goal in his fifth match this year and now boasts thirteen international goals in twenty-five appearances. But there was bad news for Iulian Filipescu, as Romania slumped to a 3-0 defeat to Russia in Moskva.

28th of March 2004

Stephen Tetteh is given the opportunity to shine for his country as Ghana calls him up for its two match World Cup first round qualifier against Mauritania.

31st of March 2004

Primera Liga – Game 30: Cartagonova v Málaga

We begin this evening match in fine style as Rufete finds the galloping Lacruz down the left with a fine ball and the Basque full-back sends over an exquisite cross for Redondo to tuck away after just 45 seconds of play. He lifts up his shirt to reveal a scrawled message on his white T-shirt that says, “Cincuenta de los mejores!†Translated, that means “Fifty of the best!†A few minutes later, Redondo hits the post. Then on 15 minutes the crowd is on their feet baying for a penalty when Contreras blatantly brings down Esnáider in the area. But to the crowd’s complete disbelief, and mine, the referee waves away all appeals, leaving the Argentine midfielder shaking his head in the middle of Málaga’s penalty box. icon_mad.gif The crowd ‘oooh’ when Rufete fires a sharp shot at Contreras, but the keeper does well to push away the shot. Then Málaga start to threaten when Vidal tips away Zepeda’s free kick on the half-hour. But he is powerless to stop Edgar from lining up the angles and the crowd whistle their relief as the shot rattles the cross bar. But Redondo remains our danger man and he again forces Contreras into a magnificent save just before half-time.

I express my disappointment with the fact that we failed to kick on after the first goal and I hope we can turn our dominance into further goals. So you can understand my frustration when Sandro finds a way through Couto and feeds the unmarked Ismael who smashes a powerful shot into the top corner of our net. icon_mad.gif A double substitution on 66 minutes gives Miranda and Gabrich the opportunity to find the winning goal, at the expense of the tiring Esnáider and Collymore, who doesn’t look too pleased about it. Yet that doesn’t force Málaga onto the back foot and Vidal does superbly to deny Sandro when it seemed another goal was imminent on 70 minutes. Gabrich hits the post on 79 minutes from Michel’s cross but the dismissal of Couto for two yellow cards on 84 minutes kills off our chances. icon_frown.gif Then into the injury time at the end of the match, Filipescu is also given his marching orders, and a promising start to the evening turns very sour.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete (Ismael Ruiz 84); Esnáider (Miranda 66); Redondo, Collymore (Gabrich 66).

Málaga (1-2-5-2): Contreras; Javi Navarro; Zepeda ©, Ramón; Agostinho, Edgar (Palomino 64), Sandro, Tayfun, Serrizuela; Gomez, Ismael.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Málaga

MoM – José Manuel Redondo

I complain about the poor refereeing to the Spanish FA but I get the standard response which doesn’t help calm me down. So I call in Filipescu and Couto into my office and chew them out for being so reckless when three points and a possible place in next season’s Champions’ League is at stake. I give them both official warnings and send them out of the office to think about what they did. Then Stan Collymore knocks on my door and demands an audience. I usher him into the office and listen patiently as he outlines his desire to return to England to end his career. But he also grumbles about the fact that I substituted him against our last opponent. I explain to him that I felt it was in the best interests of the club’s chances for success that he be replaced. He still isn’t happy and then the inevitable occurs – he demands to be placed on the transfer list. I believe he will only grow more unhappy if he is refused this demand, so I accede to his wish.

Somehow, a national newspaper picks up on the so-called discord between Stan and myself and reports in the morning round-up of the friction between us. I hastily call my contacts in the Spanish football media to defend Stan and deny that there is any rift between us.

While Málaga and Cartagonova were battling it out for a point at the Estadio Municipál de Cartegena, Barcelona and Real Madrid were fighting in the Nou Camp and it was Barcelona who humbled the mighty Real Madrid – get this – 9-3! icon_eek.gif Seven different Barcelona players got on the scoresheet, with Alfonso and De la Peña scoring doubles. The 105,000+ fans at the Nou Camp certainly go their money’s worth as Barcelona were up 4-1 at half-time and seven more goals were scored in the second half. Needless to say, it broke all sorts of records.

The draw sees us drop out of the Champions League spots as Celta Vigo overtakes us on the weekend:

1st of April 2004

It’s a bad evening when the Spanish FA tells me that Filipescu will miss four matches in total for his badly mistimed two-footed tackle in the last match. icon_frown.gif Now is not a good time to miss out on one of our best defenders.

2nd of April 2004

Joining Filipescu and Couto on the sidelines for our next match away to Mallorca is Paulo Miranda as he deeply bruises a shin. He will miss ten days. icon_mad.gif

4th of April 2004

Primera Liga – Game 31: Mallorca v Cartagonova

The search for three points takes us to the island resort of Mallorca to be entertained in front of just over 21,000 fans. We again begin the match well when on 11 minutes, Redondo takes on the Mallorca defence, drawing them to him and opening up the space for Rufete to run onto his pass. Rufete takes the ball onto his right foot and drives the ball past Carlos Roa into the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif Even without Filipescu and Couto in the back half, the defence is doing well to combat the threat of Alberto Luque, although he does give us a scare when he sets up Ramirez only for his shot to fly high over the bar. But we play the counter-attacking game to perfection and Collymore is the main beneficiary as he shows his customary turn of pace and then launch a powerful drive that rockets past Roa in goal on 40 minutes! icon_smile.gif This time, I’m happy with what we did in the first half and I hope the players can continue to do the job. But we concede a corner on 54 minutes, and Castillo manages to turn it in past Vidal to give us a lot to think about. Thankfully, though, the defence does well to shut down Mallorca after that and we calmly glide to a 2-1 victory that made the ferry trip worthwhile.

Mallorca (3-5-2): Roa ©; Uribarri, César, Lopo (Merino 68); Ramirez, Castillo, Pirri, Ito, Aguilera; Losada, Luque.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Moya, Ãlvarez, Tetteh; Ballesteros; Michel, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Mallorca 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM – Rufete

7th of April 2004

Groggily, I look at the clock on my bed-side table while my wife rolls over and tries to ignore the insistent ring of the phone. Picking it up, I say sleepily, “Sí?â€

On the other end of a crackly line, a man with a strong Argentine accent says, “You have a player, Iván César Gabrich, on your books there, Señor Flatline?â€

“Sí. Why do you ask, Señor?†I ask, wakefulness creeping into my consciousness. The man says, “I am Señor Marcelo Biesla, the manager of Argentina, and I want to call up Gabrich for our match with Brazil in a fortnight. You’ll have no problems releasing him to the training camp a day or so before, sí?â€

“Well, of course, Señor Biesla. I’ll personally put Iván on the plane myself!†I say excitedly. Putting the phone down, I try to get back to sleep, but I fail, thinking about the possibilities of Iván Gabrich, who can’t even command a regular spot in the side, turning out in the blue and white stripes of Argentina against the famous yellow shirts of Brazil! I can’t wait to tell him about this! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Then the realisation sinks in. What the hell is Argentina, the defending World Cup champion, calling up a thirty-one year old striker who can’t even get a regular game for a provincial side in Spain? icon_eek.gif

10th of April 2004

Primera Liga – Game 32: Cartagonova v Villarreal

“… Welcome to Sky Sports’ live coverage of the Spanish Primera Liga. Today we are in attendance at the Estadio Municipál de Cartegena to cover Cartagonova versus Villarreal in the Match of the Day. We can take a look at both teams’ selected lineups for the match and I can tell you that there is not really any major surprises to come from these decisions. And I think we’re set to hand you over to your match commentators, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray…â€

We should have had an early opening goal as after just four minutes, the Morán-Redondo combination works wonders but for the striker’s header flying well wide of the target. With the Spanish international keeper in goal for Villarreal, we need to make every opportunity count this afternoon. Morán’s rustiness, however, is evident when after ghosting past Iván Hurtado, he can’t force López Vallejo into making a save. Then, with basically their first attack on Vidal’s goal, Villarreal’s fans are cheering a goal to Norwegian prodigy, Kristian Tanem. He dribbles his way past Lacruz and Michel before thumping a rocket past Vidal’s out-stretched fingertips and suddenly, against the run of play, we’re behind. icon_mad.gif Thankfully though the lead lasts just four minutes as a lovely team move culminates in Redondo finding space in the penalty box to try a left foot volley that beats the dive of López Vallejo and the scores are level with Redondo’s 25th goal of the season. It’s not often we receive the opportunity to score a penalty so when Collymore is bundled over in the box clumsily by Arruabarrena, I hope that Redondo can give us the lead… except that he fails to place the ball sufficiently wide enough to evade López Vallejo and we enter the break disappointed to be level at 1-1 apiece.

However, Redondo atones for his earlier mistake almost immediately after the break as he feeds strike-partner Collymore and the Englishman heads home his fiftieth league goal of his Cartagonova career! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo is now playing like a man possessed and he dribbles his way through the Villarreal defence. Unfortunately, his finishing lets him down at the crucial stage but it serves to warn the opponent of his danger. It’s little wonder then that he is crucial to our third goal when he finds Collymore, who puts it in front of Morán. The midfielder launches the cross and on hand is Rufete, steaming in from the right to thunder a powerful low volley into the opposite corner! icon_smile.gif The crowd is cheering now and even Michel’s injury doesn’t slow us down. Redondo grabs his second goal of the match on 70 minutes to make the score 4-1 and although Villarreal take control of the match in the dying stages, Vidal steps up to keep the scoreline like that.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Moya (Heinze 66), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel (O’Neill 66), Couto ©, Rufete; Morán; Redondo (Gabrich 87), Collymore.

Villarreal (3-5-2): López Vallejo ©; Unai (Arruabarrena 2 (Navas 46)), Hurtado, Medina; Parra (Lago 72), Piekarski, Tanem, Cagna, Escoda; Gaitán, Víctor.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Villarreal

MoM – Stan Collymore

Dixie Flatline

The wagon train keeps on rollin'!

11th of April 2004

Real Madrid does itself and us a favour by thrashing Celta Vigo 3-0 in Vigo, which leaves us in fourth place and a potential Champions League berth for next season after this weekend of fixtures.

Four Cartagonova players make the starting eleven of the Team of the Week – Lacruz at left-back, Rufete on the right wing, Morán in centre midfield and Collymore up front. Vidal, Redondo and Couto make the bench.

Finally, some recognition for José Redondo, who is described by a television expert as a ‘goal machine’. Well, 23 goals in 32 league matches this season isn’t a bad return for a player rejected by Real Zaragoza and once again it his talismanic efforts that are propelling us up the Primera Liga ladder. I can’t help but acknowledge the contribution he has made to our campaign this season.

10th of April 2004

Copa del Rey – Semi-Final, first leg: Sporting Gijón v Cartagonova

It’s the biggest match in Cartagonova’s short history as we have the opportunity to set ourselves up for a tilt at the Copa del Rey against the winner of the other semi-final between Barcelona and Celta Vigo. With Michel out through injury thanks to a crude tackle in the last fixture, Paulo Miranda’s timely return to full fitness sees him slotted into that place as the only change. Still no Filipescu as he managed to get himself suspended for this one too. We’re on the back foot early as Couto gives away a free kick and puts himself in the ref’s little black book. Barselleta, arguably Sporting’s best player, forces a stunning save from Vidal as the young keeper could barely see the fierce shot through the crowd of bodies in our penalty box. On 15 minutes, we have a life as Makelele converts Francisco Farinós’ pass only to be deeply disappointed when the linesman adjudicates him to have been off-side when the pass was played. Do we take advantage? Not really – Morán and Redondo spurn gilt-edged chances while Miranda thuds a free kick against the post just before half-time and we enter the break still deadlocked.

After the break, however, the tie changes complexion as Bizzarri brilliantly turns aside Miranda’s free kick and then Sporting sweep the ball down from the errant corner where Farinós is left unmarked at the back post to nod in Rubén’s cross. icon_mad.gif We go on a rampage, trying everything to break down Bizzarri, but today isn’t our day and chance after chance goes begging. Sporting have that vital edge to take to the Estadio Municipál de Cartagena, while we rue what might have been today. Thankfully, the damage is limited to only one goal, but we played well under-par today. icon_frown.gif The only real crumb of comfort is that Brandán will miss the return leg after being sent off for a professional foul late in the match.

Sporting Gijón (1-2-5-2): Bizzarri; Crosa; Ettien (Rivarola 86), Barselleta ©; Brandán, Farinós, Makelele, Madsen, Manjarín (Otero 62); Rubén, Da Silva.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Moya, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Miranda, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Sporting Gijón 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM – Barselleta

17th of April 2004

This afternoon it is the turn of Stan Collymore to be praised by various football journalists around Spain and also, apparently, a few rival managers. I again acknowledge the English striker’s contribution to our cause (13 goals in 28(1) league matches) in the hope that he will reconsider his position. The fans are also happy that I’ve found the time to acknowledge Collymore’s contribution.

18th of April 2004

Primera Liga – Game 33: Osasuna v Cartagonova

A couple of my players are tired after the ultimately fruitless exertions against Sporting Gijón during mid-week, so I swap things around to hopefully inject some fresh enthusiasm into the side. Unfortunately, Filipescu is still not available, and Moya has looked shaky at the back, but I decide to persist with the Argentine defender. But he lets Oktay get a good sighter at goal on three minutes and I cringe when the Turkish international hits the post from 25 yards. icon_mad.gif This isn’t great defending, fellas! But we are absolutely robbed blind when the referee completely disregards a blatant foul on Esnáider inside Osasuna’s box and waves play-on rather than giving Stan Collymore the opportunity to score. On 24 minutes, Moya again loses sight of the man he is supposed to be marking and this time, Oktay punishes us with a drive that beats Vidal all ends up. icon_mad.gif

I blast the boys at the break for not concentrating on our opposition and not making enough of our possession in their half. I want at least a goal to consolidate our spot in the top four, and the way we’re playing, this isn’t going to be easy to come by. Coming down the left, Oliver is probably our most potent midfielder and we begin to channel our chances through the young winger. But he can’t do it all by himself and in desperation, I drag Moya off on 65 minutes, replacing him with Gabrich and switching to a 3-3-1-3 formation. Five minutes later, Collymore is again bundled over inside the box and once again, the referee ignores our perfectly valid claims for a penalty! icon_mad.gif This is getting ridiculous and it seems that today we can’t buy a goal. Redondo strikes the cross-bar with a vicious shot with five minutes to play and in the break, I haul off Rufete and Couto for Cañizares and O’Neill respectively, hoping to find some creative spark to rescue a point. Redondo almost breaks through in injury time, but our desperate attempts come to nought. Another disappointing match. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Osasuna (4-4-2): Ramón; Ibán Pérez, Saavedra, Mateo ©, Guillermo; Ãngel Luis (Quique 57), Rousel, Cohelo, Javi González; Gershon (Fernando 57), Oktay.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Moya (Gabrich 65), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto © (O’Neill 86); Oliver, Rufete; Esnáider (Cañizares 86); Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Osasuna 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM – Oktay

After the match, I personally take Moya aside and give him a strongly worded dressing down, culminating in an official warning as today’s match is the latest in a string of poor performances by him. But his volatile Argentine temper erupts and tells me in no uncertain terms what he thinks of my treatment of him. So much so that he demands a transfer immediately. I tell him contemptuously to grow up and stop acting the baby. Of course he doesn’t get his transfer and I hope that in the calm light of a few weeks’ time he will look back and say that he was wrong. In the meantime, Mariano Fernández will plug the gap for our next match against Espanyol.

Thankfully, though, Alavés does us a favour by defeating fifth-placed Celta Vigo 2-1.

23rd of April 2004

“… And there is big news from Cartagonova this morning with Sporting Gijón announcing that it has offered Cartagonova’s all-time record goalscorer Stan Collymore a contract to join Sporting at the end of the season. Collymore is out of contract at the end of the season and has previously professed a desire to return to England to finish his career. It is rumoured around the club that Señor Flatline has immediately contacted Stan’s agents to offer him a new contract. Stay tuned for further developments in this breaking story…â€

Damn. How the hell did they get hold of the fact I’ve offered Stanley a new contract? It is, unfortunately, all true.

25th of April 2004

Primera Liga – Game 34: Cartagonova v Espanyol

Today’s the big day to take some three points from a side struggling to avoid the drop – Espanyol is in 15th place, although they are eleven points clear of Elche, one place below them. Keeping true to my vow, Moya is dropped in favour of compatriot Mariano Fernández who makes his first start in the league (he has played one cup match previously). Otherwise there are no changes.

We find it slow going to start with but after 16 minutes, Rufete’s exquisite pass is blasted home past Esteban by Stan Collymore from 30 yards, no doubt gladdening the heart of the Sporting Gijón manager. But chances are few and far between with Redondo well held by his markers and Collymore restricted to long range efforts. Mid-way through the second half, things take a turn for the worse when Argentine danger-man Martín Posse breaks free of his markers and runs onto Zubizarreta’s pass to tuck away the goal. icon_frown.gif A minute after coming on, O’Neill embarks on a mazy run before testing Esteban with a fierce shot while Collymore again hits the target only to see the keeper turn his shot aside. But we can’t force the winner. It’s two points dropped and I’m not a happy camper, particularly with Real Madrid next weekend in Madrid. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Fernández, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Oliver (O’Neill 64), Couto ©, Rufete; Esnáider (Gabrich 81); Redondo, Collymore.

Espanyol (4-1-2-1-2): Esteban; Juanma, Pochettino ©, Rotchen, Soria (Tasevski 62); Morales; Nacho (Soldevilla 56), Komijenovic; Martín Posse; Abreu, Óscar (Zubizarreta 56).

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Espanyol

MoM – Iván Vidal

28th of April 2004

“… The focus this evening switches to international football as a host of European countries play international friendlies. We start the round-up at the redeveloped Wembley stadium where over 56,000 fans will be demanding their money back after Holland destroyed an inept England 6-0. Ruud van Nistelrooy led the way with a first-half hat-trick, Arnold Bruggink contributed two goals while Roy Makaay scored a goal and was highly instrumental in picking apart the poor England defence. England’s manager, Kevin Keegan, could find no answers for the way his team fell apart, particularly in the first half when his team conceded four goals to the rampaging Dutch. No doubt that the tabloids will be calling for Keegan’s head tomorrow but the manager himself vowed to fight on. But the Dutch had contributors all over the field – none more dangerous than Makaay who was a constant menace with his probing passes and clinical finishing – while England’s Sol Campbell and Joe Cole could come close to holding their heads high after the match. To make matters worse, Jon Harley was sent off just thirteen minutes after coming on.â€

“In Brussels, Portugal needed to withstand a final flurry from Belgium to take the match 3-2. Nuno Gomes and João Pinto did the damage early in the first half, while Karaca and van de Paar helped make the score respectable for the Belgians. At Landsdowne Road, Roy Keane scored the only goal of the match after 69 minutes to secure victory for the Irish against Greece. Sylvain Wiltord grabbed the last minute winner to sink the Germans 1-0 in Berlin. Italy emerged the victor 3-1 over Croatia in an entertaining match in Rome’s Olimpico stadium – AC Milan’s Gattuso was the linchpin for the Italians’ victory. Finally, Romania provided an upset after defeating Spain 4-2 in Bucharest, thanks to an Adrian Mihalcea hat-trick.â€

On the home front, only Keith O’Neill was involved in international football as he again played 30 minutes for Ireland.

2nd of May 2004

Primera Liga – Game 35: Real Madrid v Cartagonova

The Santiago Bernabau isn’t completely full for today’s clash of the top club in Spain versus fourth-placed Cartagonova (that’s us!). After the controversy surrounding the future of Stan Collymore, many people are all agog about his place, but after reviewing the credentials of the competitors for his spot, I decide to stick with the devil I know more, rather than the devil I know less (like Gabrich and Sosa). But the strikers are looking around the crowd for faces they know as Real Madrid’s Raúl, Ronaldinho and del Piero wreak havoc in the opening five minutes. I quickly leap to the sidelines and yell to Couto to pick up del Piero and, if possible, put him in an ambulance. However, Raúl still manages to test Vidal with a fierce shot despite close attention from Ãlvarez, yet Redondo repays the favour on 12 minutes when a flashing header sees Iker Casillas flying across the face of his goal to keep it out. The young keeper does the same to Collymore when the Englishman manages to escape the attention of his marker on the 20 minute mark.

Then Esnáider picks out the perfect pass with just minutes of the half left to find Redondo lurking in a modicum of space. But that’s all the star striker needs and he thunders a fierce shot into the top of the net. icon_biggrin.gif But right on half-time, Filipescu’s lack of match fitness is shown up by Ronaldinho as the little Brazilian slips him and heads home del Piero’s cross. icon_mad.gif After half-time, Filipescu again loses Ronaldinho and while Vidal manages to parry his shot, Diego Simeone picks up the rebound and tucks it away to give the league leaders the lead. icon_frown.gif After we earn a corner, I decide to replace the ineffective Michel and Rufete with O’Neill and Box (that’s a surprise!), but Filipescu again makes a mistake and he lets Ronaldinho go once too often. The Brazilian punishes his mistake and us to make the score 3-1. But Esnáider isn’t quite done yet and taking Box’s pass in his stride, from thirty yards he cuts the deficit to a goal with a brilliant finish! icon_smile.gif A few moments later, O’Neill’s forcing run sees the ball roll into the Argentine’s path, but the ex-Espanyol midfielder pushes his shot wide. Real Madrid has the better of the final five minutes and our chances of escaping with a point are dashed.

Real Madrid (3-4-1-2): Iker Casillas; Isma, Iván Helguera, Kalla; Munitis, Cambiasso, Simeone (Morientes 60), Vivar Dorado (César 65); Del Piero (Stankovic 88); Raúl, Ronaldinho.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 76), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel (O’Neill 65), Rufete (Box 65); Esnáider; Redondo, Collymore.

Final score: Real Madrid 3:2 Cartagonova

MoM – Juan Eduardo Esnáider

We don’t lose fourth place after the defeat because Valencia does right by us in defeating Celta 2-0 in Valencia. However, I lose Couto and Ãlvarez to suspension as they both picked up yellow cards that crossed the threshold against Real Madrid. They are out of the home match against Alavés in a week, but before that we have the job to do against Sporting Gijón.

Vidal and Esnáider make the bench for the Team of the Week. Ronaldinho is also on the bench with them.

Atlético Madrid’s eccentric president, Señor Jesús Gil, fires his second manager of the season as ex-Deportivo title-winning manager Irureta is given his marching orders. Atlético is mired deeply in relegation trouble and with three matches remaning needs to string some victories together to stop the slide.

3rd of May 2004

Joining Irureta on the unemployment scrap-heap is ex-Juventus and Inter Milan manager, Marcello Lippi. Tenerife has struggled all season against relegation, but a couple of weeks ago seemed to have secured survival. But now they have sunk to twentieth and last in the league.

Dixie Flatline

Thanks, Mao! I'm glad you enjoy the story! icon_smile.gif

The story will continue... next!

3rd of May 2004

“…Cartagonova fans are devastated this evening when Stan Collymore officially announced through his own web site that he will leave Cartagonova at the end of the season and join Sporting Gijón. Sporting has made no secret of its desire to sign the volatile Englishman since he first burst onto the scene at Cartagonova two seasons ago but Cartagonova fans will feel betrayed after Collymore openly professed his desire to return to England to finish his career.â€

“Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, was unavailable for comment about Collymore’s transfer but we understand from sources close to the Cartagonova manager that he is furious with how his club has been treated by Collymore and his agents over this season. It is not known whether Collymore will be included in the squad that travels to Madrid this weekend to play league leader Real Madrid. Cartagonova will sign former Italian U-23 international Mauro Esposito next season from Udinese to replace Collymore, who has scored 14 goals in 30(1) league appearances this season, and 54 goals in all competitions since he joined Cartagonova three seasons ago.â€

icon_mad.gif

5th of May 2004

Copa del Rey – Semi-Final, second leg: Cartagonova v Sporting Gijón

The instructions for this match is simple – kill `em dead! Nothing less than victory by two clear goals will be acceptable as we attempt to reach our first ever cup final in the admittedly short history of the club. It takes us 12 minutes to test Bizzarri but Collymore forces the corner and Rufete’s corner is thumped home by Morán! icon_smile.gif It’s a good start, but we still need to build upon it. The goal forces Sporting to come out of their shells and they start to test Vidal, who is up to the challenge, fortunately. In fact, our second goal comes rather against the run of play as Collymore and Redondo play a neat one-two for the Englishman to poke home his fifteenth goal of the season against his future employers. icon_smile.gif We reach the break at 2-0 and 2-1 on aggregate, so we have a foot in the final. Can we put both feet in there?

When Makelele picks up the trickling ball from Ãlvarez’s tackle on Rubén and fires it past Vidal, it doesn’t look likely as the pendulum swings back in Sporting’s favour. But on the hour mark, Otero commits his second yellow-card offence and Sporting’s manager needs to reorganise his defence. It takes us 10 minutes, but Ãlvarez thunders home the rebound to put us 3-1 ahead on the night and 3-2 on aggregate! icon_biggrin.gif Five minutes later, his central defensive partner Iulian Filipescu makes the tie safe with a brilliant goal from the edge of the box and we spend the rest of the match trying to play keep-ball! Finally, the referee blows his whistle to bring the curtain down and the players leap into each other arms!

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Óscar Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; O’Neill (Michel 66), Couto ©, Rufete; Morán (Cristian Ãlvarez 89); Redondo, Collymore.

Sporting Gijón (5-2-1-2): Bizzarri; Rivarola, Fernando González, Cáceres, Otero, Luis González; Barselleta, Makelele; Farinós; Rubén (Calderón 78), Da Silva (Manjarín 59).

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Sporting Gijón

Aggregate: Cartagonova 4:2 Sporting Gijón

MoM – José Manuel Redondo

9th of May 2004

Primera Liga – Game 36: Cartagonova v Alavés

I spring a couple of surprises to the expectant home fans with home-grown hero Pablo Box taking the central midfield position in place of the suspended Couto, while O’Neill keeps out Michel and Oliver despite an indifferent performance against Sporting. And it is Box who almost sets us on our way, testing the giant Polish international Jerzy Dudek with a rasping drive from the area on 5 minutes. The midfielder is instrumental, however, in creating the opportunity that Collymore converts on 14 minutes as my players indulge in a bit of creative passing that drags Alavés’ defence in all shapes. icon_smile.gif We keep the pressure on our opponents for the rest of the half, with shots from Box, Collymore, O’Neill and Redondo all going close, but we need to wait until the verge of half-time for the second goal. Rufete picks up Box’s long pass to slide the ball beneath Dudek to give us that warm, tingly feeling heading into the break! icon_biggrin.gif

We continue scoring as after the break, Keith O’Neill repays my faith in him as he heads home Rufete’s corner on 48 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif With 21 minutes to play, we conclude the goal feast for the afternoon as Redondo scores his fiftieth league goal of his Cartagonova career and we wallop Alavés 4-0 in a brilliant result! Combine that with Celta Vigo losing to Sporting Gijón in Vigo and suddenly we’re looking that much better for finishing fourth!

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Filipescu, Moya, Ballesteros; O’Neill, Box, Rufete; Morán; Redondo, Collymore.

Alavés (4-2-4): Dudek; Téllez, Eggen, Karmona ©, Contra; Ibon Begoña, Astudillo; Tomic (Madeiros 69), Javi Moreno (Juan Carlos 63), Sequeiros, Epitié.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Alavés

MoM – Pablo Box

Archived