Going beyond "highlighted key attributes for role"

Back in the day I was a novice FM player, being overwhelmed with the game, I used external tools like FMRTE and FM Scout to determine player's current ability. While CA is naturally a good indication of how good a player is, I soon learnt that it is not be all and end all, that attribute distribution is very important, and that a player with significantly lower CA and a good attribute distribution for a certain role can perform much better than a player with high CA but a flawed distribution.

The first time I noticed that was when I found a five star potential CD with 1 Balance. Yeah, that didn't work out.

So overtime I found that if I want my inside forward to dribble, agility and balance is equally - if not more - important as dribbling, technique, acceleration, or flair. If I want my target man to score headers, I must not overlook Bravery or Anticipation. Etc, etc, you get the idea.

Having in mind that most of the time I manage clubs with limited transfer funds, my goal is to determine which attributes could be sacrificed, and which attributes are essential for a certain role.

One approach I often see here and on Twitter is building a "club DNA". For example, people look for players with high Determination, Work Rate, Teamwork, etc. While I quite admire that approach, I think it is more suited to clubs that can bring in good "universalist" type players - but I might be wrong there. However, my vision of team building in a smaller club is a bit more precise. While in this update Determination is so overreaching that it cannot be overlooked, I would be willing to sacrifice TW or WR in certain positions.

Another interesting attribute combination idea I found is explained on guidetofm site. I am not sure who made that website, and if the info is correct, but that is basically what I am looking for -- breaking down attributes in certain "clusters", which can be combined logically to find/mould a player of a certain profile.

I am looking forward to a discussion if anyone is interested.

I heard Rashida say once.  Without positioning it doesn't matter how good at tackling a player is.  If he is not in the right place at the right time to make the tackle its wasted.  The same applies to things like finishing, useless without off the ball and anticipation to be free in the right place at the right time.  

Technique is the one i don't understand, how can you be able to pass or finish without technique?

If I understood correctly, higher technique means more moves you can pull off. So players with low technique won't be able perform something they envisioned.

Archived