Question About Intercepting Passing Lanes

So im managing a lower table side in prem and i feel that pressing is taking to much of a risk right now, but i dont want to just sit back and let them take long shots either. Problem is i cant figure out which roles to use, everyone has to move a lot to stand in the passing lanes at all times but how would you keep the team moving without pressing to ball ? I've been playing with standart defensive settings and default pressing and my centre backs were doing good but my dm(s) and 2 bbms dont really do anything defensivly. I want my dm to have at least 4-5 interceptions per game and my cms to have 3-4 because thats where i want to win the ball. Any ideas about this ? im guessing positioning, work rate and concentration would be the key attirubutes right ?

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your tactic. Because context is very important. Looking at elements of play in isolation can only lead to speculation. I mean, I can tell you some general principles in relation to interceptions or defensive play overall, but that alone may not be enough for you to understand the cause of your tactical problem and could even mislead you. And in this case we don't even know what's your formation, let alone roles, duties, mentality and instructions. All these matter.

14 hours ago, legendhuntertr said:

im guessing positioning, work rate and concentration would be the key attirubutes right ?

There are different types of defensive interventions that the game counts as interceptions in match stats. These include both intercepted passes and crosses. I assume you are referring to lateral and diagonal passes the opposition plays during their attacking build-up?

The most important attribute for intercepting passes is anticipation. Other important attributes depend on the type of interception. For interception of lateral and diagonal passes - anticipation, marking and positioning. For interception of through balls - anticipation, acceleration and positioning. For crosses - marking, positioning, jumping. Concentration is always welcome for a player, especially in defense. But these attributes alone won't be enough if your overall tactical setup is configured in a wrong way.

Archived