Virgil van Dijk and the love of defense

Mogget

I've played deep saves in three versions of Football Manager, and it struck me tonight as my attackers destroyed the opposition that out of all the players I've loved, my AMC Hernan Cobacho (regen for the champions league winning Cheltenham Robins) was my favorite of all time.

This isn't quite fair, as in one of my saves (well before the transfer to Liverpool), I played Southampton and Virgil Van Dijk was a beast in FM as he is right now for Liverpool in real life. I truly love watching van Dijk mageristerially incercept passes and head them out of harms way in watching actual Liverpool real life games this season. He's amazing.

Why didn't I love van Dijk in Football Manager as much as my fictional AMC? I watch most of my FM matches with Extended Highlights, and this seems to only trigger when the  ball crosses into the Penalty Box. Magisterial inteceptions before the penalty box don't get replayed.

I respectfully impore SI to determine the best way to add at least a few defensive gems to our replays -- even if outside the penalty box -- to highlights above the comprehensive or full level. Sometimes seeing defensive positioning can be as much of a joy for us virtual and real football enthusiasts as an attacking midfielder rifling the ball into the upper corner of the goal. Yeah goals are fun, but so is defense.

Archived