Help! Suggest a tactic

Hi all,

Hope everyone is good.

I'm currently managing Villa in the 2020/2021 season & in 5th place, won the championship in my first season & finished 5th my first season back in the prem.

I have been using a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic with a DLP in the DM role & two Inside Forwards, however I feel like I'm not using my players to the best of their potential as I'm pretty terrible at analysing players & squads.

If anyone could have a look at my team & suggest the best tactic or any ideas would be great.

Thank

Swin

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 19.05.50.png

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 12.37.53.png

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 19.05.45.png

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 19.05.24.png

Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 12.38.19.png

It's very hard to suggest a good (much less the "best") tactic without any knowledge of your players in terms of their attributes and traits (PPMs). The only thing I can tell you at the moment based on the screenshot of your tactic is that it might be too risky defensively and not particularly promising in attack. Why risky defensively? Well, much higher d-line + both fullbacks as attacking wing-backs leaves a lot of space both on the flanks and behind your defense, and tight marking as a team instruction is only adding to that risk.

As for the attacking phase (the in-possession section), you should first explain why are you using virtually every single available instruction? What's the idea? What are you trying to achieve?

Roles and duties - too much one-dimensional. Why both CBs as BPDs? Why both wide forwards in the same role and on the same duty (IF on support), especially when you have an F9 and an APM on attack. With both fullbacks extremely attacking, why is at least the DM not playing a role that is primarily focused on protecting the back-line (such as anchor or half-back)?

A piece of advice on team instructions: before you gain a clear and full understanding of tactics, try to use just basic ones - i.e. those that help you set only the basics of your intended playing style (mentality, passing, tempo, type of crosses, DL, LOE and pressing intensity). Then watch how the team is playing and see if adding a new (or removing/changing an existing) instruction would make sense.

Archived