[FM19] Torreiring To The Top - An Arsene Wenger Tribute

WillHoward42

I have tried many times to start something on this place and never ever followed through. I feel I was always trying to emulate other people and/or compete against challenges that others were embarking on, and it all felt, underwhelming. It wasn't enjoyable and saved games and potential updates on here felt like a chore. So time for something new... a challenge I haven't seen before... but also something close to my own enjoyment as a football fan. A long life Arsenal fan, I have been through all the ups and downs of Arsene Wenger's career at Arsenal. So here I go as I try to emulate the great one and surpass his achievements during a remarkable 22 year history at one of England's top football clubs.

So the challenge is fairly simple. Achieve what the great Arsene did and if I can emulate his trophy haul and games in charge even better!

So yeah, let's actually make this a long term save, trying to emulate (in my biased opinion) the man who evolved English Football!

Capture.thumb.PNG.3dee22312fa2bfb0e013b3ce7b30be5d.PNG

Challenges To Complete

- Premier League Titles To Match = 3 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- FA Cups To Match = 7 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- League Cups To Match = 0 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Community Shield's To Match = 7 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Europa League Titles To Match = 0 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Champions League Titles To Match = 0 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- European Super Cups To Match = 0 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Club World Championships To Match = 0 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Invincible Premier League Titles To Match = 1 (Total Won So Far = 0)

- Career Games In Charge To Match = 1228 (Total Games So Far = 0)

- Years In Charge Of Club To Match = 22 Years (Total Years So Far = 0)

Will be following mate...good luck. 

Since FM have removed Arsenal's Club philosophies for this edition, such as "play possession football" and "develop players using the youth system" will you be looking to create your own philosophy or anything like that?

16 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

Will be following mate...good luck. 

Since FM have removed Arsenal's Club philosophies for this edition, such as "play possession football" and "develop players using the youth system" will you be looking to create your own philosophy or anything like that?

I haven't given a whole lot of thought to it yet. Not even loaded up the database... just setting up a new laptop (so eagerly anticipating the quicker processing times) I always like to develop youth and my time on FM19 has been using the GenGenPress, so would prefer a higher intensity game over possession football. I think with what Emery has been doing IRL, I would rather us do all we can just to win to get us back on top, then perhaps when we are more established can start implementing a new style of play as the youngsters come through the ranks.

Season 1 - Preview

First order of business was an overhaul of my main staff, a new assistant manager, head of youth development, director of football and chief scout were on the agenda. I find these to be my biggest factors when starting any new game as I tend to rely on these people a lot. I set a lot of responsibilities to these guys, so I like to ensure I get myself a good team to help lead the team and club forward in a new direction.

Here are the new people I have hired to join me in the new adventure.

1011501928_AssistantManager.thumb.png.30a1cd4b31de600aa295458491f17623.png1686558088_HeadOfYouthDevelopment.thumb.png.2409233ce15ea6f4e582b6a183f95254.png452932595_ChiefScout.thumb.png.f32995d8fb4b9e8550ab789f77eb93d0.png

545328806_DirectorOfFootball.thumb.png.82fda6b166c4ae35d9b0755fd1c6165b.png

I have no idea how to make images larger...so this will have to do. I am very fond of my head of development who not only has a great personality, but also matches my formation. So fingers crossed this bodes well for our first youth intake during the season ahead.

Next up was assessing the team and who was going to stay and who I wanted to leave. I am wanting to breath a new way of style into the club, high intensity and high team work/work ethic is desired when recruiting. As well as a healthy personality to hopefully ensure that it spreads across the club into the dynamics of the youth and youngsters.

1921392908_TransferHistory.thumb.png.9bcdd15b72bd690a27d16e495aa241d6.png

I was very happy with the business I made here. I was focusing on both players for today as well as for the future... no one out of the ordinary so you all will have seen and stumbled across these players before. Although I have never used any of these myself on FM19 so it will be nice to see how they play out.

Here are the the club facilities which I will update every season so you can join me in seeing how the club is progressing. The stadium is more than enough, so no reason to pay any attention to this for a good few years. I will solely be focusing on improving the youth facilities and budgets involved to help produce the best academy players that we can.

Facilities.thumb.png.ee44481260ff0fe2978ab1eb228b4ae9.png

Now that we have pre-season out of the way, it was time to start the real hard work. I believe that top four is possible, the cup competitions will be used to blood the younger prospects of the squad. I am also happy to rely on the youth players in smaller league games from time to time. The Europa League is big on my list to compete in (as Arsene never won this) so would be nice to get this in bag... especially as I only plan on being in this competition the one time. So yes, youngsters will be used here a lot, but a good mix of experience too to hopefully ensure of success here.

Season 1 - Mid-Season Review

So it has been a bit of an up and down start the season, we just cannot find any consistency in the league which is becoming frustrating. The kids went out to a tough fourth round draw in the Carabao Cup. Whilst they really showed their worth in the European competition. Going six straight wins in the group stages, conceding zero goals in the process. Manchester City have a healthy margin at the top of the table, with a lot of competition for second place. Arsenal find themselves battling to stay in the fight for a top four spot, but we are by no means too far off the pace.

Fixtures.thumb.png.88ff494ea25669b7f13270b6b840e053.pngCompetitions.thumb.png.dda221c1089e7c5a1531b9f7b6fdb527.png510516207_LeagueTable.thumb.png.0b6c1542a07e0bd79e7c8265bcc492f8.png

As for individual performances, my biggest worry is for Aubameyang, who is at the bottom of the pile for average rating and isn't scoring as frequently as I would like (In other saves I have played he is usually a monster for Arsenal when in the hands of the AI). Ainsley Maitland-Niles has been very impressive at RB and has been keeping Bellerin on the bench during the festive period, he has 5 star potential at the moment, so will be keeping close tabs on his progress. Also a shout out to new signings De Ligt and Guendouzi who have both been showing good promise when they've been given the chance to play.

1693561999_SquadStats.thumb.png.e1b256820b6b2ce041c23c0fe30cd014.png

On a side note... I have been playing around with the mentoring side of things on here, and I have had my first breakthrough! Rob Holding who is still in the original group I placed him in to begin with had his personality as 'balanced' but it seems the players around him have quickly made an impression on him with his determination shooting up to 15 and his personality now described as 'Resolute' So I will continue to keep tabs on this to see what other changes occur.

735369477_Arsenal_Mentoring.thumb.png.a49e2247cd21330de16efebadcb6fc9e.png

On 15/12/2018 at 04:39, NabsKebabs said:

Not the best of starts but as you say not too far off the pace. Hopefully you can string some wins together and get into the top 4!

Bad news on this one... having had a very successful youth intake (possibly one of the best young kids I have produced on FM in years...) I got sacked.

Not sure it was fair tbh, was sat in 6th and only a few points off 2nd, the table was very tight... but they got rid! And I am not sure why...

Squad harmony was fine and atmosphere was still at a decent level too... so a little shocked with this.

However I will have to say goodbye to this save... 

I do think I will revisit this again, as I do like the challenge I set myself to begin with.

• 3 months later...

After having a couple of months away from FM I have finally got my teeth sunk into a save I am interested in.

Gone back to what I originally wanted to accomplish with Arsenal and using the new update.

I have just finished my first season at Arsenal, so will post all relevant screenshots to get you all update on how we fared.

A few exciting youth prospects has really got me excited for this save going forward.

Along with a standout season fro Joe Willock who has cemented himself into the first team fold.

With plenty of additions and moving on of the 'old' guard. The future is looking bright!

Archived