Getting a player home grown by club? (HGC)

According to CL registration rules, the player needs to be trained by the club for 3 years between his 15th & 21st birthdays in order for him to be considered HGC. Two questions in regards to this.

1. If I loan him out, in order to get him first team experience, does this time count towards getting him home grown (HGC) at my parent club, or does it actually count towards him getting home grown at the loaning club? I remember loaning Reiss Nelson out for a few seasons, managing Arsenal, and rather than him getting home grown by Arsenal (HGC), he just got home grown in England (HGN).

2. If I buy a foreign player of 18 y/o and one day, does this mean he can never get home grown by my club, as he can only be at the club for 2 years & 364 days before his 21st birthday?

If you loan a player out then that time doesn't count towards your time but the loaning club, every time you loan a player out the clock stops so if Nelson was club due at the end of the season and you loaned him out for three months he wouldn't become club grown until three months later. (and if you loaned Neslon for three seasons to the same club he'd become club grown for them not you, though if the timing was right it should be possible to become homegrown for two sides)

If you sign (and don't loan out) a player in the season they turn 18 you are fine, and depending on when the players birthday is and when you sign them it is possible for 19 year olds to become homegrown but not guaranteed.

You can check a players homegrown status from their profile or by selecting the Homegrown view on the squad screen - this will tell you their current status and when they are due to become club/nation grown.

Also 0-21 Homegrown is a different status from 15-21 Homegrown, first is for domestic comps second is for Europe.

1 minute ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If you loan a player out then that time doesn't count towards your time but the loaning club, every time you loan a player out the clock stops so if Nelson was club due at the end of the season and you loaned him out for three months he wouldn't become club grown until three months later. (and if you loaned Neslon for three seasons to the same club he'd become club grown for them not you, though if the timing was right it should be possible to become homegrown for two sides)

If you sign (and don't loan out) a player in the season they turn 18 you are fine, and depending on when the players birthday is and when you sign them it is possible for 19 year olds to become homegrown but not guaranteed.

You can check a players homegrown status from their profile or by selecting the Homegrown view on the squad screen - this will tell you their current status and when they are due to become club/nation grown.

Also 0-21 Homegrown is a different status from 15-21 Homegrown, first is for domestic comps second is for Europe.

Thank you!

Archived